Questions about older HDTV

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
A co-worker has offered me an older Hitachi 43" UltraScan HD(ready)TV (model# 43FDX01B = LCD projection?) for the right price...

Supposedly, it'll will do 1080i with a digital set-top-box (which I have from TW)...

What do I need to know about it? Comments?

your basically looking at a HDTV monitor

it is probly a 720p TV id say... as long as you have a HD cable box, you can watch HDTV programing on hte few avail channels...

the only upgrade that newer TVs have is 1080p and built in tuners.... but the tuners help get HD on antenna, but cable and sat have tuners already...

1080p is basically only used with blu-ray dvds right now... but will be more utilized in the future...

big advantage that the new LCD, DLP, and PLASMA tvs will give you is the possibility for 1080p... picture will be noticably better at different viewing angles, but strait-on viewing might not be too noticable... big advantage of lcd,dlp, plasma is the ability for it to last extremely long time without the services like older tv types... also newer tvs will possibly have more/updated connections in the back of it

or atleast this was the info when i used to sell TVs

so for right now, at the right price, id say go with it... but id really search new tv prices and justify the price differences

for the right price...

Thanks for the suggestion on buying new, however you ALL missed the part about price. While I don't have a couple grand to drop on a new "frickin' HUGE" plasma... I can russle up a $5spot for gas to go pick this thing up! ;)

Anything will be better than the 20" "the closer you sit the bigger it looks" crap set :flipoff2:

As long as the picture is still good, I'd snatch it up. I'm still watching HD on my RPTV, and the picture is still damn good. I don't have 720p, so it's 1080i or 480p for me.. (480p for DVD, 1080i for cable HDTV)

Thanks for the suggestion on buying new, however you ALL missed the part about price. While I don't have a couple grand to drop on a new "frickin' HUGE" plasma... I can russle up a $5spot for gas to go pick this thing up! ;)
Anything will be better than the 20" "the closer you sit the bigger it looks" crap set :flipoff2:

Considering it's "the right price" and you're probably blind from squinting across the living room at the 20"..... why are you sitting here asking us? load up the Dodge and go get it!

I got the "right price" thing;)

Anyway, on those queer projections, take the back off and clean off the bullets. Because of the angle of them, they allow dust to settle and it dulls your picture. On our 60" Sony that we had, one of the kids scratched the protective screen, we ordered another one, put it on and while the TV was apart, dusted off the bullets and the picture was like night and day, much brighter, much clearer.

He's afraid it will over heat with that much weight in the bed...:lol:
Not anymore brother! Dragging 4tons didn't make a dent on the tranny temps!
Going to use my co-workers QC 1500 Hemi to haul it... don't want to scratch the bed of my CTD! (actually, the shadetree GN hitch is a pain to maneuver around) :flipoff2:

Back