Questions about Dodge 2500-3500 diesels.

Tacoma747

Ok, I want a 12V so that narrows my search down to 98 and older. I would like a club or extended cab, whatever you want to call it, but does not HAVE to be 4 door. Also, I would like a dually, but it would not be absolutely necessary.

My main questions:
Are the auto tranny's good? I plan on towing one truck, two at most.
I would prefer a manual, because they are normally better (am I correct in this case?) Manual's are hard to find, so if a nice auto came up should I go for it?

What would be a bad mileage to go above when buying something? Any things in general that are problematic about the auto's or manuals? Or the 12V?

On a side note, how does this truck sound:
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab SLT Laramie Long Bed, Full maintenance and fuel records since 94,000 mi (I bought it used at this mileage), 12V Diesel, Timing adjusted, Fuel pump turned up and turbo waste-gate adjusted (approximately 320+ HP),BHAF Air Filter, Very Strong trouble free engine with clean oil analysis, 5 Speed Manual Transmission, SouthBend CON FE clutch (new at 114,000 mi), Amsoil Throughout, 4 Exhaust, SPA Digital Exhaust and Boost Gauge, 33X12.5 Dunlop RVXTs (new at 158,000 mi),

why limit yourself to a 12 valve?
the older auto 47re is somewhat problematic, especially behind a warmed up cummins. so plan to budget for a tranny in the near future. The 5 speed is a good tranny, again, until you lay big power to it.
the listed truck sounds like a good one. Price?

He is asking $15000, which would be more than I would want to pay

And I want a 12V because I have heard they are more reliable, and are easier to convert to run on grease. I would not convert it right away, but see myself wanting to do it in the future.

I am not dead set on a 12V, but if it is hard or much less reliable to run a 24V on grease, then I would rather have a 12V

If it's as clean as it sounds, it's worth what he's asking. Sounds like he's using the good stuff.

As for mileage, I bought mine with 213k.. has 262k now. I replaced the injectors at 260k for more power, but the old ones were getting kinda worn. I've also got a bit of rough idle, so the pump may need freshening, or maybe just some re-adjusting.

The 12v's are simple, yes.. and you won't get a 24v on grease. I wouldn't even THINK about it on a common rail, either..

He said that awhile back, the batteries 'exploded', but then he said 'leaked'. He said there were spots on the front fenders where the acid ate the paint off, but not through the primer, said it was not bad though. He said there was no underhood damage from the battery situation, but I don't see how that could be if it got on the fenders outside. I would think that it would look much worse under the hood. He also said the transfer case leaked, but not bad. I figure he would take less too, but not sure.

So basically, if I want to EVER run grease, 12V is the ONLY way to go. Is there any certain types of 12V to not get? If I find a 12V with an auto tranny, is there a certain year to NOT get? I would not mind an auto, but don't want one if it is likely to give problems.

Thanks for the help.

Tacoma747 said:
Ok, I want a 12V so that narrows my search down to 98 and older. I would like a club or extended cab, whatever you want to call it, but does not HAVE to be 4 door. Also, I would like a dually, but it would not be absolutely necessary.
My main questions:
Are the auto tranny's good? I plan on towing one truck, two at most.
I would prefer a manual, because they are normally better (am I correct in this case?) Manual's are hard to find, so if a nice auto came up should I go for it?
What would be a bad mileage to go above when buying something? Any things in general that are problematic about the auto's or manuals? Or the 12V?
On a side note, how does this truck sound:
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab SLT Laramie Long Bed, Full maintenance and fuel records since 94,000 mi (I bought it used at this mileage), 12V Diesel, Timing adjusted, Fuel pump turned up and turbo waste-gate adjusted (approximately 320+ HP),BHAF Air Filter, Very Strong trouble free engine with clean oil analysis, 5 Speed Manual Transmission, SouthBend CON FE clutch (new at 114,000 mi), Amsoil Throughout, 4 Exhaust, SPA Digital Exhaust and Boost Gauge, 33X12.5 Dunlop RVXTs (new at 158,000 mi),

Why would someone put the work into it then sell it is it a problem child?
Sounds like a good truck I sold my 96 in 03 for 16.5k stock. Was the 5 speed gear nut fixed? Big tires and decked out for a tow rig. I like the stuff all but the tires. What was it used for DD or tow rig? Ask him how it did on the track and watch his face. Also who did the work on the stuff? :lol: I could work on someones pump but I would not do mine or a friends if you know what I thinking.
There should be a lot of bone stock and not tow/ used up on the market.
My old one may be for sale soon.
Jon

the later the year, the better the HP rating in the 12v's.. the '96-'98 had the highest HP ratings manual or auto, and the best pumps. For all intents at this level, the autos are the same.

Found a 96 ext. cab dually, 125K miles, 4x4, automatic. It was used to pull a camper, so it has a 5th wheel hitch which I would sell, as well as a 2" receiver.

It is a very clean truck, and started right up when I turned the key. It is at a dealership (small one though, they mainly deal with trucks), and they offer a 5yr, 100K mile warranty for $900 extra, I doubt I will put over 10K miles on it per year, so I am thinking I probably would not need the warranty for that price.

I have heard mixed opinions about the automatics in these trucks, so what is the scoop on them? What would go out if anything, and how much would it possibly cost? I will only be towing 8K lbs or under, maybe more at some point or another, but never anything heavy.

They are asking $14,900, which is about $800 higher than NADA's high value, and about $1,500 higher than KBB's. So I would say they are definetly asking too much, but, without looking at the truck, what would you all think it might be worth?

It is in EXCELLENT condition, no rust and the paint is VERY nice.
I am guessing go for about $14,000 since with taxes and such that will make it higher.

Thanks

You're going to go into a used car dealership and *offer* $14k on a truck that's asking $14,900?

Nooooo.... you want to offer $12k. You want to pay no more than $13500, and you want to walk away if you can't get that price. Oh, and provide your own financing.

Still seems high to me, though. And it's an automatic.

saf-t scissors said:
You're going to go into a used car dealership and *offer* $14k on a truck that's asking $14,900?

Nooooo.... you want to offer $12k. You want to pay no more than $13500, and you want to walk away if you can't get that price. Oh, and provide your own financing.

Still seems high to me, though. And it's an automatic.

Yep a little high! When I sold my 96 4x4 ctd ex-cab lb with 96K+- in 03 it went for 16k or so and they say they want at 15K with more miles and has been used to tow 5th wheel.
Thinking like the last post need to be around 11k and no more.

Kbb priv.party sale
Condition Value
Excellent $9,285

Good $8,570

Fair $7,675

I swear, the value of my truck has gone UP in the last 6 months.

You should ask Kyle about his 2000 cummins diesel. I don'tk know if it's 12V but it's a manual, it's in *great* shape, and it just did a great job hauling his rig to Harlan. It has a lot of miles but it's been well cared for. He told me that he was sort of sad to get a new one because it's been doing so well for him. He really liked that truck.

Yep, 2001 Cummins 2500 5 speed. 4x4 Extended cab Long bed. 218,600 and pulls like a train. Has a small oil leak behind the front timing cover i guess it is. Leaks about a quarter sized drop when you park it. In 5000-6000 mille oil changes it might use/leak a quarter of a quart. You will be hard pressed to find a STOCK 98-2002 cummins that will pull harder than this truck. Something is just special about it, walks a lot of other trucks that should be the same. Will get 17.5 mixxed driving if you are easy on it, 15.0 if your hammering it. 11-12 towing average loads.

Sorry if this doesnt belong here. Just have no interest in starting an ad in the for sale forum.

All this talk about the 12V Cummins has got me wondering what mine may be worth. I had considered selling it sometime ago but then I hate to be without a truck for any period of time while I find another one. New engine a while back, does that increase the price if I were to sell it?

Keith
Four Oaks, NC
'96 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4 cc lb new engine at 95,000 139,500 happy miles now

Back