Put vehicle in neutral with no key?

hunterdan

Ok, so I'm picking up a 86 E250 Van tomorrow. It's a Quigley 4x4 and it has no keys. I was thinking to disconnect shift cable at trans and find neutral...maybe move forward/backward two clicks? Now Im wondering if I can just put 4wd shifter in floor in neutral and winch onto a rollback?
Any suggestions, and any idea if either could do any harm?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231208-130203.png
    Screenshot_20231208-130203.png
    299.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20231208-130222.png
    Screenshot_20231208-130222.png
    299.4 KB · Views: 30
Ok, so I'm picking up a 86 E250 Van tomorrow. It's a Quigley 4x4 and it has no keys. I was thinking to disconnect shift cable at trans and find neutral...maybe move forward/backward two clicks? Now Im wondering if I can just put 4wd shifter in floor in neutral and winch onto a rollback?
Any suggestions, and any idea if either could do any harm?
Thanks
Will roll in any gear other than park. Don’t worry which is neutral

Might could just stick any old Ford key (or screwdriver) in the ignition and wiggle it until it turns.

But yeah, tcase in neutral. Might be a 205.
I was wondering if that would work? Gone in 60 seconds method. Is it that easy...just jam a flathead screwdriver in the key slot? Then what...just vice grip it forward?
I imagined getting a local smith to cut a key but would a new ignition be easier?
Thanks again

Might could just stick any old Ford key (or screwdriver) in the ignition and wiggle it until it turns.

But yeah, tcase in neutral. Might be a 205.
My dad and I have had a couple ford trucks of that generation through the years, and none of them required a correct key to turn the ignition.

Otherwise go for t-case in neutral. Just seems easier, and thats what its for. If the t-case is in 4wd, you may have some minor driveline binding which will make it a little harder to drag on. But honestly with a rollback and winch, you can do none of the above and still just drag it on.

My dad and I have had a couple ford trucks of that generation through the years, and none of them required a correct key to turn the ignition.

Otherwise go for t-case in neutral. Just seems easier, and thats what its for. If the t-case is in 4wd, you may have some minor driveline binding which will make it a little harder to drag on. But honestly with a rollback and winch, you can do none of the above and still just drag it on.
Thanks for the tips y'all

I’d damn near bet you could stick a nail file in it and crank it.
Those tumblers suck.

But +1 on tcase to neutral and rock on

@hunterdan

Put the transfer case in N especially if you’re going to roll it around more than a little. That’ll save your trans from spinning without lubrcation.
Years back, I used to junk cars, & resale some wholesale cars I got from a dealer friend. He gave me a Mercury once that had broken down on the highway, & been towed in to somewhere. Really decent car, full size maybe a 67 or so with the 390. I finally figured out the spring on the points had broke. Boy, That was a easy fix! Haha. But guess what? It went forward, but hit reverse & it locked up! Couldn't bust it loose. Wrecker driver towed down the highway with driveshaft connected, which ran the tranny so hot it welder the bands together! I sold the whole car to a transmission shop.

Back