PSI in tires on tow rig

SHINTON

Ok...so you purchase a new set of tires, in my case, BFG A/T KOs, load rating E...and they are rated about 3715lbs at 80psi. (COLD it says, 80psi cold...)

SO...the question is...how much PSI should I use around town (non towing) and should it differ for towing?

I got the tires today...thought I felt a little bit of "rolling" and wondered what PSI he put in them. Got home and checked and they were all 50psi. (Fairly warm to the touch...not HOT but warm) Was a bit surprised to see they still had that "bit flat" look at the 50psi, but the Ex is a heavy mutha, 8000lbs easily with the junk I got in it) Still has it a bit on the front even at 60psi...

I added 10psi, putting them at 60psi. I just wanted to see what the gang here had to offer....should I be running at 70 or go ahead and run the rated 80?

Towing this weekend will be pulling a camper, about 6000lbs or so...(w/d hitch)...

Sam

I ran some E-rated at 70 psi for a long time. The outside edge of the tread began to wear more than the center. I'm thinking that 10psi made the difference. The sidewalls are pretty stiff on those things.

SHINTON said:
Ok...so you purchase a new set of tires, in my case, BFG A/T KOs, load rating E...and they are rated about 3715lbs at 80psi. (COLD it says, 80psi cold...)

I added 10psi, putting them at 60psi. I just wanted to see what the gang here had to offer....should I be running at 70 or go ahead and run the rated 80?

Sam

unless you sitting at 14,860lbs, you don't need to be at 80PSI for the best wear (better mileage, yes, but uneven wear)...

with extra weight on the rear (unless you have a weight distributing hitch), the rear should probably have some more when you're towing...

try to figure how close to the 7,430 per axle that you are, and inflate tires on each axle proportionately...

Greg

I just use the "drive through the water and look at the contact patch" method.. I wind up with 80psi front, and 45-ish in the rear when empty.

The "new" SteelTex's on the Mule like about 40# front & 50# rear empty... hauled an engineless 4rnr back from Monroe last night and could've stood another 10# in the rear!

SHINTON said:

SO...the question is...how much PSI should I use around town (non towing) and should it differ for towing?

I got the tires today...thought I felt a little bit of "rolling" and wondered what PSI he put in them. Got home and checked and they were all 50psi. (Fairly warm to the touch...not HOT but warm) Was a bit surprised to see they still had that "bit flat" look at the 50psi, but the Ex is a heavy mutha, 8000lbs easily with the junk I got in it) Still has it a bit on the front even at 60psi...

Towing this weekend will be pulling a camper, about 6000lbs or so...(w/d hitch)...

Sam

I was changing them all the time up and down for a little bit then just went max pressure and backed off to get the ride I like and tire wear.
I think now its like 65 front and 60 rear if I pull heavy a few times a year then up it 70 - 75. I have 47k+ on the tires now and they look real good.
Jon

Bumped em up to 75psi front and rear last night before hooking up to the camper. Seems to be riding REALLY nice now...

Will send another report after the trip but so far I am liking the feel of the tires once I got them up beyond 50psi. They felt a bit squirrley at 50.

Sam

On my Excursion with Firestone Steeltex Load E tires, I run 60-65 when towing (jeep on flat bed trailer, about 7000lbs) and I run 50-55 around town. More than that around town and the tread will wear uneven. Use the chalk line trick, take a piece of chalk and mark a couple line across your tire then drive a few rotations and check the chalk and is should be evenly worn off, if not adjust your air pressure.

The Excursion handles better with more air pressure I found, but a little rough ride.

I just bumped up my air pressure in my Excursion V10 285/75-R16's BFG All-Terrain KO's load rating E yesterday and it feels a lot better now. I was running 45psi on all and I bumped up to 55psi front and 50psi rear. It turns a lot better/easier now in parking lots. Handles better too.

:beer:

Yeah, Ex will be bit diff from pickups since we have weight over both axles. Front is still heavier with the diesel engine etc but not as dramatic as pickups.

I will use the chalk test for sure! It sure feels smooth with the camper on back at 75psi. (Wife remarked on it)

Noah, sounds like we both have the same tires, how you liking yours so far? Mine def felt odd at 50ish psi...I think 60psi will be my low point but will use chalk to find out for sure.

Sam

Use to use chalk to find out how far I was getting over at the track.

Next weekend we'll head to the mountains and get rid of your chicken strips Sam :D

Back