Property line questions.

I own behind theirs but where their fence is located is a 30‘ wide piece that was sold to them when they bought the place and wanted to have a backyard( once again, no clue how they ever built that house where it is in the first place because the original house was WAY to close to the original property line). I have no control over that as it was done before I got there. At this point I’m waiting to see what they want for the whole place and property and just buy it all outright. Combine it and be done. As for the existing house I’m not sure what will be done with it but if anything it will be the vacation house for family and maybe look into doing an air B & B considering how close we are to Pinehurst/Southern Pines so golf and horse people. Got a lot of random thoughts bouncing around but as an endstate I am NOT going to stir any unnecessary shit pots if I don’t have to. I stirred and burnt shit pots while deployed and it never works out.

Do your legwork beforehand. If there's a residence on the other parcel, it's possible/likely that you won't be able to recombine without tearing it down.

And you won't be able to get rid of the easement without the recombination.

On the old survey drawing you posted...is the house in question labeled "shop"? That's what it looks like it reads thru the fuzz. Was it a barn or outbuilding, later remodeled into a residence? W, w/o permits??? If so, instead of a tear-down, you could revert to what it was (or maybe still is on paper).

On the old survey drawing you posted...is the house in question labeled "shop"? That's what it looks like it reads thru the fuzz. Was it a barn or outbuilding, later remodeled into a residence? W, w/o permits??? If so, instead of a tear-down, you could revert to what it was (or maybe still is on paper).
From what I understand by talking to some of the older area residents of the area what used to be the shop/barn burned and they built a house on top of it. At a later point in time it was sold to the current owners. As far as permits I have no clue

Maybe i missed this in the thread, but just wato make sure I understand. The deed shown in the first post lists an easement on the tract at 2776 Roseland, and your property is 2756, correct? From looking at the GIS and scanning through the deed for 2756, it doesn't seem that there is an easement across your property, even though the driveway does appear to be at least partially on your property based on aerial photos.

Go ahead and put gates up. When the ambulance or firetruck cannot access property in a timely manner that should be fun. Hindering access or hindering there ability to maintain road will not end well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Youre not entirely wrong here. I have no clue the legal ramifications of locking the easement, but I do know that a typical gate wont put up much resistance if youre hell bent on getting through it. Especially with a K12, big truck, and a myriad of other forcible entry tools. Will it eat valuable time? Yes. Will we be pissed? Yes. Will there be any legal ramifications other than an ass chewing? I have no clue.

Youre not entirely wrong here. I have no clue the legal ramifications of locking the easement, but I do know that a typical gate wont put up much resistance if youre hell bent on getting through it. Especially with a K12, big truck, and a myriad of other forcible entry tools. Will it eat valuable time? Yes. Will we be pissed? Yes. Will there be any legal ramifications other than an ass chewing? I have no clue.
when i was a contractor for duke if we got to a gate and they had removed my lock or made it where we couldn't get through using our lock, we just cut the chain. if i couldn't cut the chain i pulled the gate down. i had several people threaten me and say they were gonna come get me or call the cops. i just told them to come on and do it, its in their contract that i have to have access and any damages they do to me or the truck they were liable for. there was only one gate i couldnt get through on my own. so i called in asplundh heavy off road truck and used their winch to jerk it off, they were gonna need into it anyways the next week.

when i was a contractor for duke if we got to a gate and they had removed my lock or made it where we couldn't get through using our lock, we just cut the chain. if i couldn't cut the chain i pulled the gate down. i had several people threaten me and say they were gonna come get me or call the cops. i just told them to come on and do it, its in their contract that i have to have access and any damages they do to me or the truck they were liable for. there was only one gate i couldnt get through on my own. so i called in asplundh heavy off road truck and used their winch to jerk it off, they were gonna need into it anyways the next week.

Same here. If I go onsite to one of our generators or meters & somebody else has it locked, I make short work with a pair of bolt cutters. The alternative is calling/waiting for them to send someone out...ain't nobody got time for that! Amazing how at one site (regularly bypassed our lock) I was told someone would be out in an hour; I told dispatch 'nevermind, I'll just cut the lock'...somebody pulled up not 7 minutes later. They haven't bypassed our lock since!

Same here. If I go onsite to one of our generators or meters & somebody else has it locked, I make short work with a pair of bolt cutters. The alternative is calling/waiting for them to send someone out...ain't nobody got time for that! Amazing how at one site (regularly bypassed our lock) I was told someone would be out in an hour; I told dispatch 'nevermind, I'll just cut the lock'...somebody pulled up not 7 minutes later. They haven't bypassed our lock since!

Shot I never called, we got quota to meet. Get to a gate if a house was close go knock but if I couldn’t see a house from the gate it got cut and I kept on rolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot I never called, we got quota to meet. Get to a gate if a house was close go knock but if I couldn’t see a house from the gate it got cut and I kept on rolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been told to play nice in the sandbox & call first...but that was the 4th or 5th time being told to wait for 1 hour (by the same people of course) when I had stuff to do. 2 other guys I work with will always call/wait, another guy is quick with the bolt cutters/grinder. I'll wait for a little while...1st offence I'll wait 15 minutes, 2nd is 5 minutes, 3 strikes & I'll call as I'm cutting/leaving!

Last edited:
Back