Project: Tetanus Shot - 1948 Willys

I’m ready to see burnout videos throughout your neighborhood!!!

Same here :lol:.

Steering box is back in and hooked up. I also picked up a set of header plugs and header wires after a suggestion from my buddy thats helping me with the motor. Sure enough, a couple of my plug wires had already started to melt from just running it.

Everything is ready to go. The plan is to finalize timing this weekend, drive it out and get the cage pulled. I will need to address my lower radiator hose very soon as it has a serious kink in it right where it ties to the lower radiator hose. Right now its not impacting cooling but thats just at it at idle. Stock hoses will not work due to the angle of the lower radiator inlet. I'm thinking I'm going to have to piece a few pieces with a connector or get some kind of flexible line to fix it.

I used a piece of TIG welding wire and bent the profile for a hose that I felt would work. Then walked through Orileys hoses and found one that was close. A little trimming and it works great. A coat hanger works too. ;)

I used a piece of TIG welding wire and bent the profile for a hose that I felt would work. Then walked through Orileys hoses and found one that was close. A little trimming and it works great. A coat hanger works too. ;)

Well I guess I know what I’m doing tomorrow....just gotta find an old wire hanger

@rockcity your coat hanger idea worked. Went to oreillys and found one that was close. Had to cut it a bit but it’s in there now with no kinks at all.

Belt is back on, radiator is full, just waiting for tomorrow and it should drive out of the garage

@rockcity your coat hanger idea worked. Went to oreillys and found one that was close. Had to cut it a bit but it’s in there now with no kinks at all.

Belt is back on, radiator is full, just waiting for tomorrow and it should drive out of the garage

Write the part number on the hose with a paint pen so you have it for later. :)

So if you've been following the thread on hydro assist, I had issues with my steering. Specifically, I kept blowing out the input shaft seal. More specifically, I blew it out 4 times. I spent most of Saturday covered in power steering fluid along with most of the jeep and the garage. Apparently, when I tapped the box 2 years ago I mixed up my input ports and had the high pressure line on the low pressure side. I was able to get those swapped thanks to some fine members on here that I owe beers too.

Hydro assist is working now, no leaks or seeps anywhere. I can turn the wheels with a finger with it sitting on the ground at idle. My old 87 YJ had no power steering so this is gonna be fun getting used to it. Planning on fine tuning the motor tomorrow night since everything is working correctly and we can run it for a while. Have to air down all the tires for it to clear the garage door though. Fingers crossed it should be out of the garage tomorrow.:driver:

Long time no update. Could never get my schedule synced with my buddy but tonight, well tonight was magic. Started off with the motor running for 20 seconds or so and dying out. We got the motor dialed in on the timing but it wouldn’t fire. We had spark, fuel, and air but it wouldn’t kick over. Had a beer or two and theorized that the throttle position sensor and the idle air control was acting up. Those sensors were from the original motor and had never been changed. Luckily I had a spare set in my parts pile and we got them switched out.

Instant difference, it now idled like it was supposed to but it quickly died after about 30 seconds of run time. Tried to crank it over and had no fuel. Quickly diagnosed it to a faulty fuel pump. It was getting power but it overheated and shut off. Again, back to the spare parts pile and a few drops of gas in the armpit later, I had a new fuel pump installed.

Success!(kind of). It idled perfectly and revved up on command. Started getting really hot due to air bubbles in the system but we got that taken care of by cracking the radiator cap. It idled perfectly and the temp stayed right at 195 the entire time. Revved it multiple times and it would settle back down around 900 rpm. Vacuum gauge was showing 18-20. Had it idling for 15+ minutes with no issues.

Few things I need to fix. Fuel filler rubber needs to be replaced. It’s the original and it’s severely cracked and once the return line was active was dripping fuel constantly. I’m going to replace the idle air controller and TPS with all new ones. I also need to fill the coolant with antifreeze as it’s straight water now.

All this stuff will be replaced tomorrow and it should be out of the garage with the cage getting pulled for final welding.

Out of the garage for the first time in 3 years. Replaced the IAC, TPS, and MAP sensor and got a new filler neck. Ran it for 30 minutes or so just idling in the driveway. Parked it under the shelter and had some friends come over to pull the cage off.

The plan now is to fully weld and paint the cage. Then raptor line the interior and reinstall the cage.

I still don’t have sufficient brakes. The brake pedal is making contact with the steering column which is stopping the pedal from having a full stroke.

Right now it’s idling around 900 or so. I think I want to bump it up just a bit as I was having to keep it from dying while driving around. Power steering works great. Garage looks awful empty and lonely right now...:lol:

pBPekUFS-XbVE9FpzpqtwrS5goa1RiOgqW3IcVVV0g1UoVOQQp19HqyXZUoM_FJCkjhl87Q-wEf-1OGGuUSUbHndtdaVGmfZp_R8TQi2Itej_sAOP0sLfxIK1mIiE5QB9sydbNeZrEPhRNyr8JtmacCLUa4FWUvnAzomixiwHPQqB_C1ity7nCucYsxDSX5-nwhymB1vpmey_yf5_W_9zLbu_A7-fwZhbcmEA3nCOfvOFO4h4Z_wDpcoU7LMatVMuyxHcId7LviWja0wUV8gIml_qZ5bLiOvOkkeCZolvVAWVbx_MAf-xtk21k2pqBnMgK-U6YBfRaN4_ha12s0wkH5DQqRvqsxlnAAtzrhNPsvoJYUzBrknkAbXtLxyUgXWl8ZncLYgZR3jBbMWAeDl7bchnxjbK8GBUq0MAn3w9extMnT3RSAEPw5uzOFIEHAKBZ-R_rhdQdM6NjIKxTZiQUXtkAPbhHz2srMRHQdbHuSvlCVMnpSZ8SDJO_DKr34w2FnHJx3_TB58YhnNZJ0WLK8W0Ms1r37mE4Y-A5mazYHo1bVIvMaR5kFa6c0bhh1_sHAg1A0XyMfbAbkx1zIeR8tQzITWRyS3U7tx3q6WV_4N0rJsVQ2BFI2p0wnnUcojhKZ9WQuI1tqZnJg5h6GtXM7vcllLI-bn5Ga-XWI6tLX1fd59y2lAFGP0sO1eZu4=w1250-h937-no

cjErpYBPlNeaNv18iz70DmeLbWQiPEVRofD7yRu_Mh6423EL56cy6nFzcPTSoxkXyv75r-VoLCgVeK1LmYsVyMG1SOsXwQ7Xt-5ARhjoipOVnwpyKupKYJY6yL-y2IUjbwKzfUsibrEdyW0ezCBnQgbUpVItSQHrzmBONxjHmQzDP-F740GKMHko9bJmtCWxBSPP4t9_B3j1F0DaKUXWGgY-WcKbE6AzYoH5YzUypvix24Thjvhn6o0gnYZMpTBJjaouvm726zsos6wIhwViCQCGHqOMBKcAra_BrEiscQWBOUl8FYU88KWb5dWHig1f5QD0VcXxADDb9AUJWgWGHYf_bPzCuKsvoqhZkm2LqkAwGPeSxhJDH7f-__4ksfu72dq2Pg1-hQze33BvQjwFdjDA3HpicjFvDEpIjnTyTB_C4KV6zpRDuLpluynOoE1Uiz6Y0V0Du-mKGn8NHPEMypiRwdNQbhOD-bweIm9rE44vnNtBiud5RErLzstnVZB8zmRceyzyp-CmwSvV-mg0qVmrqkKkFIUER0QWHSs2eEn2b5BtqCvNLg0AMBwzwI1XTEZ82hA-xQw89ODlL0mW40sxv3AS4GJhsj0vxeDJGPxlzrJ4mV7qykKWv9oepU11hhXDeyTqQASGPb0ep1VuCijK-RVfLQY9hbcUgPJRFnE8GlsktTVy14XmXETbS_I=w1250-h937-no

hM2DtUTT0bDFR-6MasXh9HOz1q3VMrS6-jZzFKU3YrCHvCwe0mcfmn4hhMklibCL9nsHDaExV_JsQyjZm-bOtLnpBgFmfpzdAaeHfOihdK8Ez0WOQrLF7g1X_Z1xCCDWpjBFL2kdSTRJu7SXxYc-eP96_v82jSDSpPDNUwCbkDpn2vrfU_bTonXbLGhTY4MEhv-yX5ZvvR7x3y-EObeMajsAfHzBQa2oDN-e8tzfjtNe_UeS9WqjhHaYvVgzEgHm4LgClRYDFfCSYAleLO8rqC-REuKlAZjuhHo1hMeRdavD_KpALsqmxIPmxsavBeewu-fkYitUfKsgnLSQG_4KtjqBvyOtTrpCumyLK6H7WV24E92qRFYlGGBxT4DtAD1-fQXAqyCSByObDK7EZ7UHQyPq4K12yClHpdtYG2E4Bx8UF61zYjpUzMGbNJTKNO7kGSvt132He1dASpXgoeElexyL1UaPsO6vtC-RdlAG_ZxB4C_O5qs6EJCA9rRP5JMW1xt_Q9t7XBdmdAcUWCot84CeWiD5DMDlCSJh1RbyF_Y6uhnghzewqFWgOutqFm06XVPTA-24H7f8rnPJQWAUqmfkUlhFngS2vE3qh5izt-GWLJe_4r7GPVnFgq_ZqGxu9b5LcxjSb9-RO48R2EHH2H0cHqfvmT_y0kBm6NsqPVleOkmRmovCYi5V9aEA2OE=w1250-h937-no

It looks like you could run the springs SUA and not have to worry about rubbing the tub/fenders, but I bet there would be a few things to work out with steering clearances, shock mounts, driveshafts.

Definitely do not want to go back to SUA. That would involve way too much work. Right now I am running stock wrangler and dakota leafs. @Jeff B when you were running it, were your springs completely flat? How much uptravel/downtravel did you have? Any issues with inverted springs?

Definitely do not want to go back to SUA. That would involve way too much work. Right now I am running stock wrangler and dakota leafs. @Jeff B when you were running it, were your springs completely flat? How much uptravel/downtravel did you have? Any issues with inverted springs?

The main leafs are what you have.

I made custom packs in the rear out of the 2 different spring rate leaf pack for that year Dakota. Also had plastic full length between each leaf. Helped relax the leaf and soften the ride. Nylon is best to use, doesn't compress and naturally lubricant.

Not sure if you have one yet. You will need an anti wrap for the rear.

@Jeff B already have an antiwrap on the rear. I'm still planning on pulling leafs out but that won't be for a while.

Got the cage cleaned up this weekend and its ready for final welding and paint. That should happen sometime in the very near future. Took about 3 hours to knock all the surface rust off and then I wiped it down with WD40 just to give it something to protect it until paint.

4w2U-EZyMFxaV1Lej8fbvMbyS2qrJmUC44YT9aowpryyu6Obp2CcO1y26Dre5Yo4zHylRpN_R15YKRZLUujiaqAT2WKejBT7jc-OEMvgY3rDoQFBgxnhGdhu6SPqXxvmcwJA3LZIpHu6KEvlDjj4TJXv2hENUk5GRrC0KOg1DSkH1n-lOS-Q-I-B2O_3OATA-hNddQaH5lriVzhcQcKYfXB0s-u9lgQG0IZUemyG4eLQWVFiA7U58XSg0BTDK1uXPmKO4HVqbIAXb1vchUV6b_cZyLXYuEIjVb_SsBFnpMo45FwDuCPU9FEEvNYnMWWB1dDAqpRUhO2qA5R-_IYWMulwx4mKVCXSABxw64TLcPcWdPoFs-OOF0wPcu6wFbVIIUV0ufe-eAuSlQ7BzBBslxE4LZMsoZLOejgYQ4-qwTeJSgPOcqeBFdHGVh-1dX8aCe4myCO6INv__hVhNA2BlrXeDBPe0xFzmtVw4YDqyNGqyEZktZ5bJ7Mfww9p43qpvWRP0pVtsUoNh41S8UVt9mHCifBzTudxZWqxp8H0dj3ceU-J9o5omXw1ccWqShtUGn3UW3ngEGkGWC2T6r5F8gAynVL3PhpuSieyPFToV1nm6dQA6EbbTMdf6aFYI9MS60sUulH4Guf5x_sbcOFe_AlpDcyfFyJBbsHhCzGukXabXVxj5xq4QnEjpXFvcU0=w1204-h903-no

Ran the jeep for a solid 45 mins yesterday. Had some issues starting but once it was running, it had no issues at all being turned off and on. The battery is charging but I still need to hook up the voltmeter on the dash. Engine temps at 195-200. Easily revved it to 3500 and it came right back down to idle.

Once the cage is complete, Ill pull the jeep inside and coat the interior with raptor liner and then reinstall cage/seats etc.

Cage is fully welded thanks to @getstucksome :beer:

It will get painted early next week and I'll pull the jeep inside over the next weekend to prep and spray the raptor liner, then its time to reinstall the cage for the last time, seats, and harness bars.

I still need to fix the brakes. I'm pretty sure that it's the pedal arm contacting the steering column. Once I get a fully swinging pedal, I can move on to see if the master is up to the job.

Then its on to little stuff in the interior. I want to have some storage in the rear for a cooler, spare parts and tools etc, plus recovery gear.

Get it done for the URE rendezvous?

At this rate, not likely. September has been crazy busy with both work and life. If it was just reinstalling the cage, seats, and harnesses I would definitely make the trip. I need to get some seat time in it just cruising the neighborhood so I can figure out the quirks of it. To date, I've driven it about 50ft and haven't got it out of first gear. Brakes, transfer case shifters(need to be finalized), battery box, interior, clean up wiring, hook up winch, there's just a lot of small things that take time and unfortunately its the busiest time of year for me with work.

It's getting done and I feel I'm in a great position to make a good push to get the majority of the work done over the next few weeks.

Interior is prepped. That was a chore by itself. Started out with a steel flap wheel and knocked all the surface rust, dirt, and grime off. Came back in with a flap wheel and ground down all the body welds/added some more in. Came back in with 180g sandpaper on my orbital. Blew it all off and then degreased everything. After that, sprayed the etching epoxy down. Took 4 hours to do all of it.

I still need to get some masking tape and paper to tape everything off. Plan is to tape everything tomorrow and then shoot the first coat tomorrow night. I'm thinking it will take 2 coats

Interior is done. We had to make an emergency trip to Georgia this weekend for my 97yr grandma. We didn't tell her we were coming and she was ecstatic. Before we left, I decided to wake up early and spray the Raptor. I used 2 full bottles(out of 4) to get everything sprayed down. The third bottle went on about 45 mins later and was used to spot check/fill and to add texture. Spraying was super easy and I was able to mist the 3rd bottle to provide more texture in high impact areas. I stripped all the masking paper and tape off today and have been really happy with the results:D

qgc_BWwukld-SsMfxVNCno8UPiCB3LMEBHFEV8A1_g8XTi3BxXcQKSlbpfKonvLVf6nayuJ1JtZTfUYO_9gKhsgiMuVG8hmPz1WH4LV9zi_80qulFUCHkD2HOl-ktyifk7Ocvt-T7--es6USojstWwYkaTdbnrjfCYE1pZzBVXyuQzLsKs6dgjOSFRrzHD_CRGRTpeVIPT_f-ur4bZUSRPTnnwmMSEMLVSd69t7WC7X_QezXZKM7djLcKN3pynPxy49KrTxkpmKQ607AztAvl-wTKcEAQQlJXxFAXG22QCNpunzWQ03DPMhVPpaYacfiQwc3rps2wVENznCuLAhszjOL3unG2txbVjSVfrBWAKkBX0AiyhtmZh5xXtgg5FAtUbxZfiFjYjmh_xKkENB9vQAe6EBfOZX1WiHyWOu8R1CQVQDPQ4cNBFi8T1CZfbCd8gEwUBS7IJMpDbBWBFUtfNAlUiUE2QJ1I-CbIGe9XSu49lfueSEv0UJHtJibAuPKvnQqUlBMv0by73MeGUsF5HkWWT14INFRr207vlFtPqPt977kEMZEIIl_IMn0i2AGlReA4Cm2iq8jAQ5U827CmUg5dc3v6-dBwzpYQMtpZLO6JM5RyHo1E4BL709Jdyw7Wq0BIEa_TiZuigt4cS6a__s3xO4-phTTDtDHSjR2OZ5QyINsDUEPbcakYQKQgHw=w1204-h903-no

NsuYFmay0gJbeYD3ArUKrnZJS3n5_qS-0Ij4k3_UGL1xKS_lgdiCGDi3CjHBsU4-C9npitjZpByYyJDtvVtL6djnsxVEQOUvuo_NltfH2HjoUCfn851TfqgmRDj4HiFCEm6solwjocQWdVb-Pd6vbyQS9ExXSb-Eth4zzmcPoQNWwmNU6s-KzjSdwyzKf-LY37BXchSzbgxB9FVAM5Bmp8T70PlVrWFaL-HODqgInby5VGBCKOL5Nkr0bxQExiDabqOqoAhN5_i_LBLmaWiTRCimPwgXfuAws0TaEVT03S_kFgm94KrQt6UyE_n9lgJoL1yghQY3w8oBF5-FfSt2W96CRmlhXEF8ilsGDNnwwTvPwRfBcdD2qyvYtFov8tdoDq_PEEIZy2DWnZ7CKSZden9Vfp_L1qLvtLId4EtBC5La5fDlWXnttbmNxzJLJY9IZSZgk4HOVSkVvQwjJmwAT2KF0Aw8RPRQYpJ_W79Q1-NOqQt8gWGJ2I7Vs-qcmBit06HBtGdxz8oVumR0bzWRGIm3Vn0YvxDwt0lzefaUIBgPHlvtGJVWxVdpKlTi59-R3AdArLr1qGNyPdhFyyo9vOlfklcEjQOnIl5c0KO581C983mMwHw5K8_ipKE27E3so93Iy7NpomgIvebqYdJRPsQveBQIugWJpPoQo-xbiTN_hdQPtO_z06o6r8B6yzE=w1204-h903-no

41OEWMZEGw3swTU8Uf7HntzjdR-SPsNJWgrDMY9WlPgADw8ybeHqo6IfzLhLKSMgNklTxuGeQP2nQ4Cwe_y30vT1sKWBt6JV0BhcyrYZWFO05HHqAmDt7pxK8oD6YXIL0jzqnqf5vBaXJA1LGo191PJo8uetxs3gEXnYkwNVyX9RUeOOVKit_bTQZcbPx0amNNn3CbZ1PSRuzRhW1RTJc11RLOKOGgjGcScz5f0l7_sc06B99XxGwo1aVRSBvR5FPQJOdnttLEL6dfVQ9PGVkxm7EPauFMJdQbt_mbpx9nBjBdvxgDJK4oe2mDAvvt4ulesMfxgJhxhZrOyCN9I8dlSKtr91i1lG6yhkXpkL6tZvLyPh9TU-dvB7RuxHhNu9JnpVmyzxXTZ5SBADg30xIASt3AkknAP90o_IUZ7vJ2YvSjj5XKblCvDLI15h5JNec-tx3gXF6asX8bq_Z5VQEqAmFVTJmFVtI2zERgzZ4OO6cjqORDjd4Xs3kNV37D5PTJk54DTYWy2a4eRI1N2F4ZS7bxXcxA8JlhVgMdE27wKFwaJ5rcsUN6AhEZuFXif-sJBXoyOsfRw0zc72BZ_mUJ4tzzAGEXK9VE_pMhdUQqU5NbT89k4WDh9SeoRJWjqUuqGLN0VoqUstR0s00_kq4aHakitcHS9p3zcXqU2I8POmKSX88TbrjsjYPdb0e4I=w1204-h903-no

I replaced the Idle Air Control and it starts better when its cold. I'm planning on pulling the TBI off and cleaning it out really well. Right now, I have to pull an injector to get it to crank and run or else it will flood. Once its warm, it will crank just fine with no issues. Next steps will be to reinstall the cage, seats, harnesses and then work on the battery box and shifters. Still need to address the brakes issue and flush the cooling system and refill with antifreeze. I ordered RuffStuff's "The Cure" for my tie rod roll issue and will need to adjust the hydro assist clamp but I plan on doing it all at once.

Slowly but surely.

Back