Project Sh*tShow

Monkeynono

I am looking for is some Input / thoughts/ motivation. I started this build before we ever thought of moving to WNC and by the end of this year we will be living in Mars Hill.

It is a 1995 YJ with a TBI350, sm465,205 60/14bolt with 4.56 gears. 104" WB 22" to frame and most likely end up on 40 's.

First question.... What should I expect from wheeling there? Where I come from is flat...and mud.
Second question.... Is that setup gonna work down there? What should I change? Or what also needs to be done.

20200416_184006.jpg
20200416_155518.jpg
20200416_184314.jpg

Pretty typical set up just need some lockers.As mentioned its hilly and often has rocks covered in mud.

Stick with the swampers and ditch the BFG.

You’ll be just fine around here. Lockers, little armor, maybe a winch...

SEND IT!

You’ll have to travel a couple hours for wheeling but you won’t be too awful far. Mountainous terrain with mud and rocks.

Front locker for sure
Rock slider absolute must
Winch
Corner armor

Do you have an anti-wrap bar on the rear axle. That will be a must too.

You’ll have to travel a couple hours for wheeling but you won’t be too awful far. Mountainous terrain with mud and rocks.

Front locker for sure
Rock slider absolute must
Winch
Corner armor

Do you have an anti-wrap bar on the rear axle. That will be a must too.
No wrap bar yet, I have a Warn 8274 for the front and I was thinking of doing boatsides to remove the giant rust hole.

The rear diff has a Detroit front is open. I was thinking of a lunchbox type locker.

I went with a Spartan in my front D60 after reading lots of different reviews.

Last edited:
I snapped some pics of mine to show you what happened to mine. When I bought it the rear corners were TRASHED. I mean terrible. I took the time to cut the back tub off and graft a new tub on. It looked fantastic. The very first trip out to AOP I wrecked them all over again.
I was too cheap to buy armor and thought with my tires and width it would not be that big of an issue. Turns out I couldn’t have been more wrong. I hit them every single time I go out. I’m stopped caring now, but man I should have put some armor on there.
CA99B4F0-0FAD-41BC-817C-73943183AC23.jpeg
42C8773C-8D5C-46A8-AB7F-ADF72A1EED7A.jpeg
4A655D33-FC64-4D52-9556-97C3C3A51EA6.jpeg
6914AAE5-0367-4D5C-AA2D-20572FCF354E.jpeg

Also, on your rear shackles, weld in something in the middle of them. I did not have center support on my front shackles, when I welded in some flat tube recently I was blown away by how much side to side movement went away. Without center support it moves a ton and will wreck the bushing pretty quick
6146FC87-FF61-4CFF-9F84-C1FA689357A2.jpeg

Lastly, in my opinion an anti wrap bar is mandatory and not optional. When you go to climb a hill or ledge, all the weight shifts to the rear and it will make the springs bend in an S shape. You’ll have tons of wheel hop and it will trash the springs quickly. Specially if those are XJ springs backwards.

I have about the same wheel base and tire size as you. Waggy springs up front, backwards XJ springs out back on 39.5” iroks.
I see that you already have a shackles reversal in the front, that’s good!

Last edited:
I snapped some pics of mine to show you what happened to mine. When I bought it the rear corners were TRASHED. I mean terrible. I took the time to cut the back tub off and graft a new tub on. It looked fantastic. The very first trip out to AOP I wrecked them all over again.
I was too cheap to buy armor and thought with my tires and width it would not be that big of an issue. Turns out I couldn’t have been more wrong. I hit them every single time I go out. I’m stopped caring now, but man I should have put some armor on there.
View attachment 316470 View attachment 316471 View attachment 316472 View attachment 316473

Also, on your rear shackles, weld in something in the middle of them. I did not have center support on my front shackles, when I welded in some flat tube recently I was blown away by how much side tire side movement went away. Without center support it moves a ton and will wreck the bushing pretty quick
View attachment 316474

Lastly, in my opinion an anti wrap bar is mandatory and not optional. When you go to climb a hill or ledge, all the weight shifts to the rear and it will make the springs bend in an S shape. You’ll have tons of wheel hop and it will trash the springs quickly. Specially if those are XJ springs backwards.

I have about the same wheel base and tire size as you. Waggy springs up front, backwards XJ springs out back on 39.5” iroks.
I see that you already have a shackles reversal in the front, that’s good!
Good point about the rear shackle, I just made them and slapped them on. The rear springs are Dakota and fronts are RE 1.5 soa. The front shackle setup sucks and pinion angle is badddd. I plan on moving the shackle from under the frame to in the frame..... Or slider boxes.

Good point about the rear shackle, I just made them and slapped them on. The rear springs are Dakota and fronts are RE 1.5 soa. The front shackle setup sucks and pinion angle is badddd. I plan on moving the shackle from under the frame to in the frame..... Or slider boxes.

Slider boxes are some old skool stuff that works pretty well in my opinion. I think that would suit you well.

You will need the anti-wrap even with the Dakota springs.

I'm assuming you will be towing this thing to & from the trail?

If you get bored and want to look up places and YouTube videos for the places we hit around our state, here is a list of the places we go. Some are quite the drive, but a Thursday-Sunday trip is well worth it.

Golden Mountain Motor Park-Sparta, TN (was closed, but recently purchased and soon to re-open. Considered the best around)
Black Mountain OHV Park-Harlan, KY
Adventure Off road Park (AOP)-South Pittsburg, TN
Windrock-Oakridge, TN
Choccolocco OHV-Jacksonville, AL
Kairos Resort-Glyn Lyn, WV

Uwharrie National Forest-Troy, NC (Extremely mild wheeling)

I'm probably overloading you with info and my opinions. Sorry, bored working from home. Hope your transition to NC goes well, and that you will get on the trail soon after!

Slider boxes are some old skool stuff that works pretty well in my opinion. I think that would suit you well.

You will need the anti-wrap even with the Dakota springs.

I'm assuming you will be towing this thing to & from the trail?

If you get bored and want to look up places and YouTube videos for the places we hit around our state, here is a list of the places we go. Some are quite the drive, but a Thursday-Sunday trip is well worth it.

Golden Mountain Motor Park-Sparta, TN (was closed, but recently purchased and soon to re-open. Considered the best around)
Black Mountain OHV Park-Harlan, KY
Adventure Off road Park (AOP)-South Pittsburg, TN
Windrock-Oakridge, TN
Choccolocco OHV-Jacksonville, AL
Kairos Resort-Glyn Lyn, WV

Uwharrie National Forest-Troy, NC (Extremely mild wheeling)

I'm probably overloading you with info and my opinions. Sorry, bored working from home. Hope your transition to NC goes well, and that you will get on the trail soon after!
Thanks, for now it will be driven to the trails. I got no trailer and recently traded my F350 in on a new JL so no tow rig.

Eta: should have this moved to build threads fourm?

Last edited:
Well now I got some time off, So on to fixing/finishing/ building this heep.

Today I got a lot of things done that were bothering me. I cut the front shackle hanger off, shifted the engine back a 1/2" and cleaned up all the old brackets on the front half of the frame. Also yesterday I mocked up the high steer.

20200422_134941.jpg
20200422_142735.jpg
20200422_153548.jpg
20200422_151438.jpg
20200422_151725.jpg
20200421_142714.jpg

Back