Poor ol' ford - service truck build

a_kelley

mechanical fixer
Okay poor old Ford is a white 98 Ford F 150 2wd. Her motor knocks the rotors are warped the suspensions hammered and the rear axle is missing. She is going to receive a 98 Jeep 4.0 engine transmission transfer case. For a drivetrain she will receive a Dodge Dana 44 and rear Dana 60. the bed is coming off and getting replaced with a service bed. pictures and all to follow as I get into building it. Original trans is good and for sale.

My good friend I'm opening a shop with says not to turn this Ford into a hermaphrodite... I think I'm doing the right thing.. especially when I get around to building my stroker.. got everything but pistons and gaskets for it. Plus a 5.4 is $1k and I've got the complete Jeep 4.0 powertrain and harness. Just reflash the Ford VIN and rewire the obd connector. Plus if I were to go 5.4 I'd need to change trans and transfer to convert to 4wd. I think it'd be easy to drop it in and fab 2 motor mounts and a trans mount.. front end will be easy, 4 link since it's got a steering box already and plenty of room with a narrower motor for the links. I suppose I could do front leaf suspension but I like the way coils ride. It's kind of a budget build.

Honestly the truck probly isnt worth much to begin with. If u do the swap and sas i would plan to part/scrap it when your done.

If you're good with that, i say rock-on.

If you think you'll have too much in it or won't keep it long, id keep it as stock as possible.

If u can perform the swap, it works well, and is a super clean install; it might be a good testament of your shops ability.

Honestly the truck probly isnt worth much to begin with. If u do the swap and sas i would plan to part/scrap it when your done.

If you're good with that, i say rock-on.

If you think you'll have too much in it or won't keep it long, id keep it as stock as possible.

If u can perform the swap, it works well, and is a super clean install; it might be a good testament of your shops ability.
I'm not worried what I can sell it for.. I'm not planning on retiring it.. or if I do retire it, I will have gotten my investment out of it. Look at my xyzj build thread if you want to know how crazy I am. I think half the reason I want to do things like this is because everyone thinks it either can't be done or is not a practical solution. I think a 4.0 or stroker will power a 5k truck with 4.10s reasonably well. And then there is always the option of adding a supercharger.

Well as fate would have it, I had a Ford SUV give to me for removal.. needs a radiator and front end work... Supposed to be a v8., But not sure what exactly it is.. hoping for a 5.4 and expedition.. it's AWD but if it's an expedition, I'd have everything to change over the 150 to stock 4wd except transfer case (since the expedition is built on a 150 variant if I'm not mistaken) but at least it will give me a mostly drop in motor.. also I could use the r&p to rebuild the rear that came out of the 150 that mine replaced.... Since it might be a different width if it's an explorer.

Back