Planning first URE trip. Curious where near stock CJ can go (safely)...

danattherock

Thinking about heading up there soon and was curious if you guys would share some basic insights. I have been to the area my whole life, camped twice there last summer, floated the Uwharrie River several times in kayaks, etc.. just never been on the off road trails. I have a 81 CJ-7 with 2.5" BDS lift and 33 BFG Mud A/T's. Well, I should say I will have it come Wed, being installed Mon and Tue. Otherwise a bone stock vehicle, minus the Motorcraft 2100 carb, DUI ignition, and short ram air intake I had put on last year. Had it since I was 15 (38 now) so I don't want to damage it, lots of sentimental value and such. In process of restoring her now to her former glory, just can't stand the idea of owning a garage ornament. Got a Harley for that. Wondering how I would do up in Uwharrie. Not looking for crazy stuff, just want to get the Jeep out on some trails and fun day trips, perhaps an overnight camping trip. Had the Jeep since new (my folks bought it then gave to me later) so I don't want to take it out and mess it up. Any suggestion for further reading, place to get trail maps, etc.. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any insights.

-Dan

danattherock@hotmail.com

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3485_5710793871_30fc9d8233.jpg

everywhere....end of story. lol
with that set up you should ba able to do everything at URE with some careful line choosing. i dont know how sensitive you carb is but the the only places you may have a problem with it choking out might be the hill climb on Dickey Bell, and maybe the most extreme trail which is Daniel (i think its easy personally)
some helpful tips: take spare U joints and basic tools, stop at the eldorado outpost for a map and day pass, try not to go alone. ask around and find your way to the big mud hole nick named the "soup bowl" its in the wolf den area, go there for some great food around lunch time from the HotDogGuy, he does a lot of good stuff for the forest and helps out alot and is usually down every weekend to keep us all fed! dont go in the soup bowl, its a death trap and will ruin your nice jeep. and grab a bandanna or something to were around your mouth like and old school cowboy cause its usually so dusty its awful.
one more thing...Dern good lookin jeep man!

Thanks man. I appreciate the input. Just looking to get out and ride some trails and such. Just don't want to put myself in a position to run something that might damage my Jeep, especially the body. U-joint, axle shaft, etc.. I can live with and replace. Just don't want to trash my baby. Been taking good care of her for 23 years, my folks bought it new in 80. Means to much to take somewhere blindly. Do appreciate the response.

-Dan

X2 on the good looking rig :driver:

Stay off of Daniel and take the by pass for Kodak and you should be fine. Falls Dam, Wolf Den, Slab Pile and Sawmill are all stocker friendly. The Dickey Bell and Dutch John hill climbs can be intimidating but should present minimal problems unless really wet!

Thanks JC. Very helpful info man, I do appreciate it. Can't wait to get my Jeep out on the trail. Just hoping to do so in a responsible way. Especially since I will be going solo. I live in Rockingham, but don't know anyone around here to go off roading with. That makes me think about more things than I normally would. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best mindset.

-Dan

Thanks JC. Very helpful info man, I do appreciate it. Can't wait to get my Jeep out on the trail. Just hoping to do so in a responsible way. Especially since I will be going solo. I live in Rockingham, but don't know anyone around here to go off roading with. That makes me think about more things than I normally would. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best mindset.
-Dan

There are always folks going to URE. Look for threads for the date you want to go and ask if you can join them. Or show up at the Outpost between 9 and 10am on the weekend, find a group and ask if you can tag along. Everyone is friendly. No worries.

Just took my '71 CJ5 there this weekend with 3.5" lift & 33's. Had no problems, but I do have a rear Aussie locker. I never took it wheeling before the locker so I can't say how it would have been open diff'ed. The guys I went with that had Rockwell's said they were impressed with how well it did. Ofcourse, they did Kodak forwards & backwards, with me just watchin' :shaking:. I agree with staying off Daniel and taking the bypass for Kodak. Just take it easy and you'll be fine.

Great info, thanks guys. I will print the maps off for future reference. I recognize enough points on the map to get a feel for where the trails are. I read that Wolf Den is a good starter trail. Assuming I wanted the wimp route, what would you guys suggest? Might plan a trip real soon and just want a URE starter friendly route. Sounds as if I pick the easier trails, I can go without worrying about body damage and such. Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

-Dan

Great info, thanks guys. I will print the maps off for future reference. I recognize enough points on the map to get a feel for where the trails are. I read that Wolf Den is a good starter trail. Assuming I wanted the wimp route, what would you guys suggest? Might plan a trip real soon and just want a URE starter friendly route. Sounds as if I pick the easier trails, I can go without worrying about body damage and such. Any suggestion greatly appreciated.
-Dan

Any route you choose that doesn't involve Daniel usually is a worry free one. If you want a route that will take you through all the notable obstacles and take up a day of wheeling I would suggest the following.

Starting from the Eldorado Outpost parkinglot:
-> Right on 109
-> Right on 1153
-> Right on 576
-> Left on 553
->Take 553 all the way down to where Dickey Bell and Falls Dam connect
->Take/Veer Right onto Falls Dam
->Follow Falls Dam
->Turn Right onto the First Entrance to Wolfs Den
->At the trail intersection go straight/slightly right onto Dutch John
-> Follow Dutch John
-> When Dutch John dead ends into Slab Pile Turn Right
-> Follow Slab Pile
-> When Slab Pile dead ends into Rocky Mountain Loop Turn Left
-> After the Rock Garden keep an eye out for the Saw Mill entrance on the Left
-> Turn left onto Saw Mill
-> Follow Saw Mill
-> When Saw Mill dead ends into Slab Pile turn right
-> Follow Slab Pile
-> When Slab Pile dead ends into Wolfs Den turn Right
-> Trail Ends at 576

This trip will start you off very easy on Falls Dam. It will take you by both the mud pits. Then after using Wolfs Den as a connector trail you will be on Dutch John. This will be a more moderate ride, with a few fun/more difficult spots. All those spots are challenging but not to the point of body damage etc. Once you are done with Dutch John using Slab Pile as a connector trail it will take you to Rocky Mnt Loop. Which will bring you through the Double Ledge, and Kodak Rock Garden which both have bypasses. And offer a lot of fun watching/playing on the rocks. After that you wind down a little on Saw Mill which has some mild/moderate sections. Slab Pile then takes you by Poser Rock which is perfect for pictures. And then out Wolfs Den to the road.

a group of us are running up sat. for a day trip.Come on and go with us.We are a stocker/newbie friendly group.

Dan, I've heard good things about the group ord.sqt.26NC mentioned above. You should have a good time with them and learn a lot too.

I'm planning a URE run either June 11 or June 18 if all works out. If you plan to be there either one of these dates, we meet up and ride together. I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee so we should be able to do the same trails.

Thanks for the route suggestion above, that is quite helpful.

Wish I could go this weekend, but working.

Would love to get up there in June. Maybe as your dates firm up you can shoot me a PM. Would be great to hit the trails first time with someone else. Should be more fun as well. Picking up my CJ in the morning, but will be a week or so before I can go anywhere. Got the wheel spacers along with 33" tires and BDS 2.5" lift. The guy said the front hubs won't fit the bolts on the spacers and the hubs needed to go to a machine shop to have holes (in hubs) made larger. Not holes, but the cylinder (hole) that the bolts go towards, where a lug wrench would fit. Not sure, I was at work when I got the call and it was hard to follow without seeing it. Anyway, sounds like I can get Jeep in morning and will be waiting on a call from the machine shop to tell me when the hubs are ready. I am not thrilled about it, but sounds like the only way the spacers will fit.

-Dan

Back