Pizza cutter tires: pros and cons?

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
So what are the advantages and disadvantages of tall skinny tires. Specifically 35x10 tires.

Interested in this as well. I am really wanting to do some pizza cutters on the Willys for the look/cool factor as long as it doesn't have to big of an impact on performance.

Where did you find 35x10.5s?

TSL SXII (SX2-60) comes in a 35x10-15. I am thinking this would help keep the tires off the control arms but still give me some more ground clearance while not killing the D30, but not sure if it would hurt performance with a skinnier tire.

| Interco Tire

Last edited:
The only pro I have found with tall and skinny tires is the fact they clear stuff (frame, control arms, etc.) The major con I found was they are not stable at all when aired down. Not really a big fan of felling like my rig just wants to lay over and nap on minor off camber situations.

The only pro I have found with tall and skinny tires is the fact they clear stuff (frame, control arms, etc.) The major con I found was they are not stable at all when aired down. Not really a big fan of felling like my rig just wants to lay over and nap on minor off camber situations.

That's the aspect ratio of the sidewall width to sidewall height. You're going the wrong way with a skinny tire if you want a stiff sidewall or any sort of responsiveness on the street. You can actually help that a little bit by putting a skinny tire on a slightly wider wheel to get the sidewalls not parallel (making the sidewall into a tall trapezoid instead of tall rectangle), but that's not something to be done lightly at low pressures without beadlocks.

Any cons for four wheeling? These tires would see almost no street use.

That's the aspect ratio of the sidewall width to sidewall height. You're going the wrong way with a skinny tire if you want a stiff sidewall or any sort of responsiveness on the street. You can actually help that a little bit by putting a skinny tire on a slightly wider wheel to get the sidewalls not parallel (making the sidewall into a tall trapezoid instead of tall rectangle), but that's not something to be done lightly at low pressures without beadlocks.

Yup, I wish I would known that back when I ran them. I don't think the fact they were load range c helped any for stability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Con: in mud you will sink to the bottom of the hole easier rather than float over it with wider tires.

Less ground contact area to grip the rocks, etc

Off road pros: more weight per square inch of tread equals better traction
Off road cons: less ability to bridge voids and find solid traction

Hard for skinnys to wrap around much when aired down they just kind a bulge out, love how a wide tire just krinkles up and grips when aired down in single digits

So let me throw this into the mix. I currently run my 33x12.5 TSLs on a 15x7 wheel, if I ran a 35x10 on a 15x8 wheel, wouldn't there really only be a 1" difference in tread contact?

So let me throw this into the mix. I currently run my 33x12.5 TSLs on a 15x7 wheel, if I ran a 35x10 on a 15x8 wheel, wouldn't there really only be a 1" difference in tread contact?

You can go ahead and say that but I feel like the difference is going to be trivial.

All on my dana 30 I have had
-31x12.5x15 Thornbirds
-34x10.5x15 LTB Bias
-33x10.5x15 BFG A/T
-35x12.5x17 Duratracs

-I prefer the skinny tire on the road so the tires don't ride/wonder around inside the worn-in ruts on asphalt.
-Skinny tire again in my mind provides more nimble and maneuverable on tight trails/in between rocks.
-Lastly the skinny tires tuck into wheel wells and away from control arms.

When I had the Skinny LTBs I never lost a bead while riding but since the tire walls were so tall I did feel some uncomfortable lateral flex/motion off camber. Obviously beadlocks are going to keep your beads seated but I am not sure a skinny tire above 35" will play out well on all terrain. 35" tires in the 12.5" width to me are a good ration of sidewall height and tread width both cosmetically and performance wise.

Why not just get some Creepy Crawler Comp Tires if you want more traction? :cool:

I have been running Q78 (35.5-11.5-16) tsls for a while on a few different jeeps (mj d30 yj d30 then d44 zj d30) and I like them a lot, they work great in the wet, they put my buddies 42" tsls to shame at the SHOP when it was wet. I run mine at 6 to 4 psi depending on how I feel, they do make for a sloppy unstable feeling ride at low psi but I don't mind it so much, they do get short at that that psi, I have run them on two sets of 7" wheels and one set of 8" I can't tell much of a difference. They were fine on the road when they were fresh.

Interested in this as well. I am really wanting to do some pizza cutters on the Willys for the look/cool factor as long as it doesn't have to big of an impact on performance.
I use 7.50x16s old schools and do just fine. Don't waste time with the military style ndt's for performance. They suck off road.

I like the 35x12.5 treps too, just more pricy than the comparable intercos. Not sure how much a d30 would like stickies either. Lol
Could be wrong but i wasn't aware of any sticky under 37 other than the short coarse tires?

flattie.jpg

I have been running Q78 (35.5-11.5-16) tsls for a while on a few different jeeps (mj d30 yj d30 then d44 zj d30) and I like them a lot, they work great in the wet, they put my buddies 42" tsls to shame at the SHOP when it was wet. I run mine at 6 to 4 psi depending on how I feel, they do make for a sloppy unstable feeling ride at low psi but I don't mind it so much, they do get short at that that psi, I have run them on two sets of 7" wheels and one set of 8" I can't tell much of a difference. They were fine on the road when they were fresh.

Is the sloppy unstable feeling you refer to on the street or on the trail?

Is the sloppy unstable feeling you refer to on the street or on the trail?
I would imagine since it's followed by "at low psi" he means off-camber on a trail

When those pittbulls went on sale I was doing my best to figure out how to stuff 14.5" wide tires under mine :rockon:

Back