Panty Soaker 5000 - Beamer E90 LS Swap Turbo Build

Just go buy another $500 JY engine.

Machine shop is the first thing that will kill a budget

The machine shop is under $500 to balance the crank, deck, and install cam bearings. Another $500 JY im still in the exact same position, with stock lowerend that is meant to handle 400hp consistently. If a $400 machine shop bill breaks the bank, I need to scrap this whole build now.

The only thing happening here, outside of the original plan, is approx an extra $1000 to beef up the lower end a little

If a $400 machine shop bill breaks the bank, I need to scrap this whole build now.
This. But also, those $200-500 machine shop bills tend to happen about 6 times before its all over.

This. But also, those $200-500 machine shop bills tend to happen about 6 times before its all over.

Thats always possible. A shop knowing what they are doing, the crank should pass the crush test the first go. If it has go back they f'd up. Heads dont need to go to the machine shop. I got the tools for them.

Gm and their broken off rear manifold bolt. All the other bolts with heads came out like butter, thankfully.

The broken stud is the one that broke with vice grips. One snapped extractor bit, a welded nut, 3 Miller lights and mild cursing later, solved the dilemma.

20230219_180745.jpg

rockers are ready for a trunion upgrade
I did this and have recommended it to others many times. Most ignored me. Glad to see I’m not the only one concerned about tiny needles raining down into my oil passages.

Put on some tunes. Cracked a brewsky. Lit up a spliff. And cleaned the valve covers, cam/crank covers, and windage tray.
There’s a certain year range of valve covers that have a wind age tray like piece that prevents oil spray from getting into the occ or in a boosted case the catch can, worth making sure you got the right driver side cover if you’re boosting

Boosted or not, they all still need a catch can, to be perfectly honest.

Just go buy another $500 JY engine.

Machine shop is the first thing that will kill a budget
Yea they too many cheap engines out there.

There’s a certain year range of valve covers that have a wind age tray like piece that prevents oil spray from getting into the occ or in a boosted case the catch can, worth making sure you got the right driver side cover if you’re boosting

Good data man. Thanks.
Yes was definitely planning a catch can. Probably be cheaper to run the catch can as recirc than upgrade the valve covers

signal-2023-02-28-100309_002.jpeg

signal-2023-02-28-100303_002.jpeg

Recirc or open ?

Haven't studied on them much, but I know mine will still make oil disappear even with the "good" valve cover. I lowered the thermostat temp and changed oil to try and help keep it from volitalizing so much and that helped, but it still isn't 100%. They just have terrible PCV systems in stock form, which I'm sure you know.

Haven't studied on them much, but I know mine will still make oil disappear even with the "good" valve cover. I lowered the thermostat temp and changed oil to try and help keep it from volitalizing so much and that helped, but it still isn't 100%. They just have terrible PCV systems in stock form, which I'm sure you know.
My engine has a baffled 1/2 hose per valve cover. Open not recirc.
Go up to a 5/8 for each valve cover for boosted application.

YMMV

Got pissed off with torque to yield bolts on the mains. So ordered a stud kit

You break the OEMs bolt ?

No was just struggling with a stand that wouldnt stay put, and the torque angle gauge. And wasnt comfortable with the low probability i was doing it "right"
So said F this and ordered the stud kit
Been consumed lately with the deck build. Gotta hope back on this before it ends up needing a new hone lmao

20 - 50-ft lbs on the Rods
20 - 40 - 55-ft lbs on the Mains
20- 45 - 65 ft lbs on the Heads

Me and a lot of slops of the interwebs have put many engines together using these numbers and re-using OEM bolts.

20 - 50-ft lbs on the Rods
20 - 40 - 55-ft lbs on the Mains
20- 45 - 65 ft lbs on the Heads

Me and a lot of slops of the interwebs have put many engines together using these numbers and re-using OEM bolts.
Saw those numbers. But they were inconsistent. So moot point now haha
Thank you tho, bookmarked

Back