Overheating XJ

YJJPWrangler87

So i finally got done with the head gasket change, got everything bolted up, cranked the jeep up, runs a little rough, like something to do with the idle, its a 92XJ. Went down the road and it overheated. Popped the hood, and touched the upper rad. hose. Very very hot, the lower rad hose is lukewarm. Is it the thermostat? I replaced the old one with a new one..could the new one be bad? Anything else?

Zack

no it didn't overheat at all...when i got everything bolted down, one of the injectors wasn't seated properly, fixed it, then the lower rad. hose let go, fixed it, filled everything back up, cranked it, drove down the road and it overheated.

Zack

OK here's what you need to do, you most likely have air pockets in your system. Leave the cap off, run it, and keep it full. Let cool several times and fill back up(when cool) this will work the air out and fill all voids in the system. If you haven't aready, I would change to thermostat.
As far as the rough running, I am guessing a vacuum leak, in one of the intake gaskets, or hoses.

Head gasket on wrong blocking the coolant passages? Did you see the "this side up" markings.

yeah the word top was printed on the head gasket..i made sure it was facing up...has for you chip, i thought about that but i put the old thermostat back in, ran fine, didn't idle rough at all, then i went to rev the engine, hear a scraping noise...water pump, pulled it off and spun it and it sounds like the bearings inside are bad, no slop yet but im gonna go ahead and replace it

Zack

Have you checked to see if a hose has "sucked" closed? I've heard of them being OK at idle, but "sucking" shut while driving. You could let it idle for a while and see if it still overheats.

i checked all the hoses, they all felt ok, i was a dumbass and forgot to clamp the lower rad. hose on, shops covered in antifreeze, but that wasn't the problem, also i reconnected a vacuum line, idles great now. gonna go to advance and get a water pump today.

Zack

got the temp sitting at 210 even, now the belts going out, and it feels like the timing is off, the jeep shudders when i start to accelerate, but after i build up speed it doesn't do it anymore, any ideas?

Zack

Back