Opinions / Advice wanted 99 xj

JMOliver

Need some input.. I have a 99 xj 4.0 with some kind of issue. It cranks up then instantly dies, you can start it up by pressing on the throttle and then keep it going, or if the high idle switch is on it will idle. Other than that it’s driveable and once warmed up it runs fine. This just started this last week as I don’t drive it often it isn’t that big of a deal but all help is appreciated,

Replaced the crank sensor last summer with a mopar unit

Thanks
6a00ff5b33dfcf7c6372fe57bc0cc6b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all I can think is cam sensor since you've replaced the crank sensor!? Maybe the pcm connector?

Check wiring loom at firewall. It can rub and short out on the back of the fuel rail.

Also have a knock sound but don’t think it’s from engine. Flexplate possibly it comes and goes. If you give it gas it will stay running till it starts to go on it’s on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try cleaning yer IAC. That's what controls your idle..especially when its cold... it meters the air going past the throttle plate. I believe it helps control the mixture which is especially critical when cold?

I know the code says otherwise, but I have seen the throttle position sensor do weird things many times. Mine once ran like you described, then would not run unless it sat for a few hours. When it did run I thought the transmission was bad, then it would die. It was all due to the TPS.

Thanks for the update! Most people ask for help like this, then never come back to let anyone know it was resolved.

I hate when I google an issue and read fifty leven’ posts on a forum for similar issues I’m having and get to the bottom with no resolution!

Back