One last time, looking for trailer space to EJS 2018 or who has driven the trail rig?

Willc

Headed to Moab on the 19th of March for three or four weeks for work.I asked before if anyone has trailer space for rent . I would love to have my junk there for EJS. I was fortunate enough last year to ride shotgun in a well built jeep last year so my cherokee on 31's want hit to much.
SO willing to pay for trailer space!!!

Or if no one has room looking at the lower I 40 route to drive a 96 cherokee out on . Gotwood went thru it about two years ago @GotWood would you trust it?
I would have to swap the MTs for some ATs but it would be a epic trip I am thinking 4.5 days to get out as not to push the 26 yo jeep or the middle aged driver to much,

So what say NC4X4 ?

When it comes to trip's like this... My motto tends to be "If it can go wrong... It probably will... Twice" So I would never imagine driving a trail rig that kind of distance.

Best of luck to you though.

If you drive her out there make sure you have spares of those things that kill the 4.0L CPS is a no brainier in my book! If you do you better document it and put it in this thread... GL!

Making it there would be no problem, it's a great Jeep. Making it back could be a different story if you have 1 mistake on the trail.

I actually drove a 91 FJ 80 with 280k on the clock to Moab and back around 15 years ago. It only had 2 inches of lift and 35s, so it wasnt really a trail truck, but i did wheel some of the intermediate trails.
Top speed was around 70 mph, and that was drafting behind 18 wheelers. Also averaged around 7mpg.
Only issue in 6500 miles was a bad plug wire, swapped out near Kansas city.
I say drive the truck out, I had a great time....

If you were going a week early you could tag along some of the trails with our group if you wanted. I would say if you ride the trails conservatively, you would not put yourself in a catastrophic position of not being able to drive the jeep back home. You can have a great time without hitting the all hardcore stuff. But I would carry normal stuff, ujoints, strap kits, Dshafts, spare axles. I would love to make the trip with a few extra days out and back. We always drove straight through, both out and back. Coming home sucks! Hope you can pull if off!

We've driven three times. Broke an alternator bracket in Missouri, had a blowout in Tennessee, and... I think that's it. Moab can be done in 3 days. If you drive straight through, it's as little as a day and a half.

Apparently I'm just paranoid. Lol. The consensus seems to be go for it!

It’s an XJ every parts store has most anything that could go bad on the drive out and back.

If I had the time and funds I would drive that XJ there and wheel it. I wouldn't take anything more than my tool box. There will be someone around that will help you in a pinch in the trails. Anything that would go wrong in that XJ could be fixed in the AutoZone parking lot. Drive that thing. You have a great story.

PS. I wish I had never sold that Jeep back to you!

Yup, in that XJ you can do plenty of trails and as long as you're conservative you'll have no problem driving home.
A few years ago I spent 5 days out there with our club driving a relatively stock Rubicon all overt he place, I would have had no problem driving that same (rented) Jeep all the way home if I had to.

I wish I had an xj for street driving all the time.......

This truck is starting to sound like that 1 girl in high school that has ben around the crowd...
Nope just plucked from a place where great cars go to die by sammi davis to help a recent divorcee , I put parts on it for about 3 years or so then it was neglected as life took over. I sold it to gotwood who brought it back once more and started looking for another and once it came back up for sale it was purchased back.

I'd be up to date on AAA, Pandora premium and roll out given the time/coin to do so!

Seriously though everyone always tells me the drive is half the trip. I would come home different than you went out. Carry a good selection of common hand tools, spare u joints and radiator hoses and burn the road up. Shoot a whole tool box is optional, you can take an XJ apart with a 10mm & 13mm!

If you document a trip like that on here and Hardline, you'd have all kinds of people more than willing to help you get home.

Back