Old school machine shop

Buddy Holly

Professional Amateur
I’m looking for someone to machine the 230ci flathead 6 in my dodge m37. Looking for someone to do all the regular stuff you would check and machine for a rebuild (bore/hone, line bore, crank polishing, etc), plus replace valve guides and machine/install hardened valve seats in the block. It’s harder than I expected to find someone local that will do it. Most wont touch something this old or don’t have big enough equipment to work on a flathead. Closer to Raleigh the better, but I’m willing to travel for someone who knows their shit when it comes to these motors.

I just had an engine redone, but a regular V8. I had a mechanic friend of mine drop in & try to check them out, before I went with them. I Do remember him saying they Don't do "Line Boring", because it creates other problems. I don't remember the reason, maybe you have to deck the block, or some other work. Personally, I don't know much about these things, other than what the terms apply to. So you may want to rethink the Line Boring.

I just had an engine redone, but a regular V8. I had a mechanic friend of mine drop in & try to check them out, before I went with them. I Do remember him saying they Don't do "Line Boring", because it creates other problems. I don't remember the reason, maybe you have to deck the block, or some other work. Personally, I don't know much about these things, other than what the terms apply to. So you may want to rethink the Line Boring.

Was that at Greg’s in King’s Mountain by chance ?

I’m looking for someone to machine the 230ci flathead 6 in my dodge m37. Looking for someone to do all the regular stuff you would check and machine for a rebuild (bore/hone, line bore, crank polishing, etc), plus replace valve guides and machine/install hardened valve seats in the block. It’s harder than I expected to find someone local that will do it. Most wont touch something this old or don’t have big enough equipment to work on a flathead. Closer to Raleigh the better, but I’m willing to travel for someone who knows their shit when it comes to these motors.
Have you talked to George at CHS in Wake Forest? He does 90% of our machining and we specialze in older stuff. He does not have a line/bore setup. I dont know of anyone around Raleigh that does. George is a stand up guy that should be able to knock that out. Now, if you're positive it needs a line bore you need to look at all the choices in moorrsville. Might be better to find another motor to start with.

Have you talked to George at CHS in Wake Forest? He does 90% of our machining and we specialze in older stuff. He does not have a line/bore setup. I dont know of anyone around Raleigh that does. George is a stand up guy that should be able to knock that out. Now, if you're positive it needs a line bore you need to look at all the choices in moorrsville. Might be better to find another motor to start with.

George is great! He was my first call. He doesn’t have big enough machines to do the valve guides and isn’t able to deck a block that large either. I have two blocks, but I’d like to keep the original block in the truck since it’s 100% original with 30k miles. It probably doesn’t need to be line bored, but I’d like to have the option. These engines were not well machined to start with.

Last edited:
Boyettes in Raleigh is pretty damn'd old school......I would bet they can do whatever you need.

if Boyettes can’t handle it, they could tell you could.
Old school machine shop with creaky wood floors, but the machines are a set on foundations thru the floor. Some have been there for decades.

I had Bill Houser at Bill's Speed Shop do the machine work on my L134 around 9 years ago. The machine work was really good but you have to fight through all the mouth,cat hair,and dirt that comes from his shop. Before I left with my engine tho,I had to learn about the Jewish world from 79ad to present times with a 30 minute power point on why folks have hated them since WW1. He is outside of Fuquay and he might still be alive.He did alot of antique tractor engines so he knows flat heads.

Back