[OLD/Deprecated] Post Attachments Inline with Text. Bonus: Minimizing Menus

shawn

running dog lackey of the oppressor class
Administrator
Yager asked how to do this over the weekend, so I figured a little tutorial might be in order.

Sometimes it's nice to be able to put images right in the body of your message, so you can describe them or put captions under them.

At the top of the text editor, you'll see a small paper clip icon.

attach1.jpg

Click on it, and the attachment manager window will open. Upload attachments as you normally would, and close the window.

Now, when you mouse over that paper clip, a dropdown box will appear with the names of the files you just uploaded.

attach2.jpg

Click on one of them, and it will put the code in your message to make that image appear inline. Simply put text to either side of the attach code, and post your message.

attach3.jpg

Also, some of you may have noticed that many of the menus have small chevron icons at the top right of the menu.

minimize1.jpg

Click on the chevron, and the menu minimizes.

minimize2.jpg

If you use a computer where you stay logged in all of the time, these options should persist from one session to the next.

Youtube is currently the only site that we support for video embedding. You can link to videos on other services (Google Video, Hulu, etc).

The URLs for Youtube videos all look kinda like this:

PHP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

The part you need is the special code that comes after "v=". Put youtube tags around it so that it looks like this:

PHP:
[media=youtube]dQw4w9WgXcQ[/media]

It will embed the video when you submit your post.

If your Youtube link has other things included after the code, make sure to leave them off. Like this:

PHP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeyEGebJ1l4&feature=channel

becomes

[media=youtube]BeyEGebJ1l4[/media]

I have seen posts with more than 3 pictures inserted. How's that done?

In order to insert more than three pictures you must reference an external URL for the image. For example, many people store their images on photobucket.com and will "link" to this picture via the IMG code tags. You can insert up to 7 images using this method I believe.

Here's how to do this:

PHP:
Image http://img.nc4x4.com/NC4X4.gif

becomes

[attach=full]141545[/attach]

Attachments

• aimg.nc4x4.com_NC4X4.gif
    aimg.nc4x4.com_NC4X4.gif
    2 KB · Views: 90
They're using IMG tags to link to a photo that's hosted somewhere else.

FWIW, I just doubled the attachment limit. You can upload six attachments per post now.

FWIW, I just doubled the attachment limit. You can upload six attachments per post now.

I bow to your supreme kindness oh great one...

:beer::beer::beer: on me next time we meet!

Meh... I would have made it higher, but not sure about the performance hit on the server.

Use the "insert link" button (globe with chainlink) and then copy and past the image location from photobucket

How do you link a photobucket to your sig line?

i thought only vendors could do this..

or do you just mean put a link not actual picture?

I apologize if this is coveded else where I 've looked all over and haven't found a solution. Can general areas of the furom be weeded out so I can narrow my points of intrest so to speak. I have no need for certain fields and would love to cut out that particular content. Thanks Andrew

crap I reread this since I thought that was it. sorry I might finally be on to something. SORRY.

Yeah, you're talking about the little minimize tabs that categories used to have. Somebody else asked about this, and it's something I've been working on, but it took lower priority to a few other things.

I apologize if this is coveded else where I 've looked all over and haven't found a solution. Can general areas of the furom be weeded out so I can narrow my points of intrest so to speak. I have no need for certain fields and would love to cut out that particular content. Thanks Andrew

crap I reread this since I thought that was it. sorry I might finally be on to something. SORRY.

There's now a little icon to collapse particular forum categories. It's cookie based, so should stay the same on any one computer.

cool I don't know what a computer cookie really is but I do like O-R-E-O-S.......and the ability to shrink subject matter

Back