Oceanfront Cottage in the Carrib?

SHINTON

Google search for this is a bit frustrating, not sure really how to pose the question.

What I am trying to find is a vacation spot where you will have basically oceanfront hut/cottage, etc with a/c, hammock, that isn't really too commercialized.

My thoughts were maybe someplace on Isles Mujeres (7 miles north of Cancun), or anything like that where you can have the best of both worlds, access to shopping/restaurants and peaceful place to stay.

Cancun area is our favorite, but also willing to try anything in the Carribbean, with the exception of Port Lucaya in the Bahamas, not impressed at all last time.

So if you have seen/stayed in one of these mythical places, I would love to hear about it. I am just a bit tired of staying in a hotel with a bazillion other folks, elevators, etc.

Just want to be able to walk out of the room to the beach, not have to fight to get a "good" seat/chair, etc.

Approx costs would be nice to know too, this will prob be our Christmas present to each other for 3-5 nights in December the week/end before Christmas.

Friends of mine just did this in Hawaii. Said it was best vacation experience they've ever had.

x2 on hawaii. My fam went to the island of kauai. I loved it, tryed to find a job but that didnt work out. the one con to kauai is the rocky beaches = very little ocean swimming

Sam, you ever been to Bermuda? Several years ago, we took a family trip there and stayed in a place just about exactly like you explained. Cool thing about Bermuda is the only 4 wheel vehicles aloud are Taxis and owned by residents. no rental cars.... but you can rent mopeds and scooters. Island is 1/2 mile wide and something like 9 miles long. plenty to and not so commercial. I can probably get the name of the cottages where we stayed if you're intersted. PM me incase I forget to check back on this thread.

Add to that, not as much Travel time either!

Sam, you ever been to Bermuda? Add to that, not as much Travel time either!

Hmm, confessing my ignorance here of ocean currents, what are the temps like in Bermuda during the 'winter?'

Actually mom/dad went there, will have to ask them more about it, I know they really enjoyed their time there!

Ah... didn't catch the December part. We went in Early March andit was NICE! Seeing as it's straight off our coast here, I'm guessing a little chillier than Mehico

I booked a nice villa on St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands for the second full week in June for my wedding, I'm looking forward to getting married on the beach. I've talked with several friends that have been at various times throughout the year and they all recommend it as wonderful. I would consider checking into St. John if you haven't made up your mind.

my two cents.

-steve

Bermuda seems to be ourtageously expesive for what it is..

Ive done the Cancun, Mayan Riviera deal in Mexico but by far my favorite place to visis is Negril Jamaica... There may not be any "hut" style places there but you can stay in some small hotels on the cliffs...

Maybe check St. Lucia or the Turks/Caicous Islands...

Check into resorts in the Dominican Republic, place is beautiful once you get away from the airport (it smells sorta like a landfill).

Check into resorts in the Dominican Republic, place is beautiful once you get away from the airport (it smells sorta like a landfill).

Same for the many smaller Bahamian islands... The main island (Nassau) was nice, but the smaller islands can be hit by boat & hold the private houses right on the beach.... November was "unseasonably" cool (water was @#$% freezing!).

Anna liked it there!:rolleyes:

Back