NT Dana 44 install

JavaTee

Most people go stronger, wider, more power. Some (like me) want stronger, but still subdue, stock looking. A couple of years ago at the Annual Hickory Miracles for Children event, I was approached by AmcJeepman (aka James) and he mentioned he had a NT Dana 44 front axle. I finially picked it up and installed it (after he installed the 3.73 gears - I got to watch & learn). I had to swap over my Dana 30 hubs & brake assemblies, and make longer shock towers.
Here's some pics;
ai280.photobucket.com_albums_kk179_tghill_CIMG0013.jpg

ai280.photobucket.com_albums_kk179_tghill_CIMG0012.jpg

ai280.photobucket.com_albums_kk179_tghill_CIMG0014.jpg

ai280.photobucket.com_albums_kk179_tghill_CIMG0015.jpg

The shock towers look short, but they fit & run well.
ai280.photobucket.com_albums_kk179_tghill_CIMG0020.jpg

I ground off the original mounts, and the welded them on to the 3" channel I welded to the frame.
ai280.photobucket.com_albums_kk179_tghill_CIMG0021.jpg

All of this was done to make a camping trip out to Eastern NC
(a sway bar was added for safety, and the speed was kept at a resonable level).
ai280.photobucket.com_albums_kk179_tghill_CIMG2915.jpg

ai280.photobucket.com_albums_kk179_tghill_CIMG2968.jpg

ai280.photobucket.com_albums_kk179_tghill_CIMG2971.jpg

The fun part was showing the wife how the twin-stick Dana 300 works. Pull this shifter lever and you have front wheel drive (Hi range), pull this one and regular rear wheel drive, and pull them both for 4wd. I received a nod and a 'That's kwel' remark - Nice.

Later, T.J.

How much gas did it take you to get out there?

Round trip approx $200. We stayed at Pettigrew State park.
We did lots of side trips, Pungo lake (the Pocossin Lakes Wildlife Refuge), Lake Mattamuskeet/Hwy 94 (to see the Tundra Swan), then Hwy 64 to Hwy 12 south to Ocracoke Island (we missed the ferry to Swan Quarter - so back we went).

Later, T.J.

T.J.

Man thats awesome, thanks again for the axleshaft, did you get to follow my fun install with the jacked up housing! Anyway that front NT 44 looks awesome. What exactly did it come out of? Also are the u-joints bigger on the axleshafts or are they the same as D30 you had. Anyway it looks great!!:beer:

Brad

T.J.
Anyway that front NT 44 looks awesome. What exactly did it come out of? Also are the u-joints bigger on the axleshafts

Hey Brad,
The axle (if I'm not mistaken) came out of a Wagoneer, not sure what year. The PO had the long side shaft cut and resplined.
The u-joints are larger than the original D30 ones.

Later, T.J.

did you use the 30 knuckles or the 44's? I'm curious as to what knuckle/spindle/hub/bearing combo you have.

did you use the 30 knuckles or the 44's? I'm curious as to what knuckle/spindle/hub/bearing combo you have.

I wouldn't be suprised if the knuckles are D44, but I would need to ask James on the knuckles :confused:. They were already mounted, all I did was transfer over my D30 spindles/hubs/bearings and brake caliper hardware.

Later, T.J.

Back