notches in deck cantilever supports

Not sure in North Carolina, But in my part of Virginia, doing what they did is a 'reconstruction' of a Deck, no permit is required, and you can expand by up to 10%, If I'm not mistaken

Hardly anybody around here ever gets a permit for a deck. DIY or contractor. Just fly under the radar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've seen a house built with 8 penny nails (a lot of them), that I would mark the extension then paint "not rated for 2 fat chicks"

Basically @shawn was concerned with the "header" material used (2x8) to support the deck sections. Nothing really wrong with running joists parallel to house, but over time you'll end up with sagging in the joist, leaving deck surface wavy. The braces, if they were supposed to be functional, most of the strength is on the outer 1/3 of the upper and lower section, so the notch does compromise the strength - if it's functional support, but if it's truly cantilevered, I'm not sure why they were installed. Usually one would just use a spade or forstner bit to counter sink the head of the bolt perpendicular to the post.

In addition if 2x8 header(if that's what they are) were insufficient for the span and load, the whole deck is probably under built. How long are the sections running parallel to house? What material are the joists? What material is the decking? 5/4? 2x?

That's my two bits.

I see all kinds of questionable things going on...

looks like a poor attempt at a girder that is cantilevered with joists hanging from them. As Shawn said, that’s not correct.

3803BA3C-75A6-4D95-8A3B-11466E0F0DED.png

not sure what their idea was at this attempt at a double 2x8? girder? Also, looks like the girder is hanging off of the band joist? And floor joists are hanging from the girder? The band joist hanger supporting the girder is incorrect; the hanger is supposed to support the joist from the girder.

EA1B732E-E119-4A6F-9C10-7C0E9716EA91.png

not sure what’s going on here with what looks to be scabbed together band joists? Also, not sure what kind of hangers exist on this band joist to the girder? Again, girder doesn’t look adequate or constructed correctly. No blocking between joists.

and, the obvious notches in knee braces.

I’d be interested in seeing the rest of the deck. I’d damn near bet my buggy that there is zero flashing and the ledger board is screwed through the siding/brick, most likely with less than adequate screws and no tension ties.

The next cookout on this deck will end up on FailArmy.

We had a sunroom added by Champion Sunrooms in Greensboro. I call them by name because they suck.
It took a week to build.
They didn't know I had past construction experience.
They also have a 100% satisfaction guarantee before payment policy.
I had a 2 page punchlist on a 10x14 sunroom.
It took a month to fix what would have take 3 more days to do right.
Regardless of how good or experienced they are, some still do crap work if they think they can slide it by.

We can't see enough in the pics.
Your Dad needs to get an inspector in there to check out the deck, quick!

Back