No winch, no lockers, no 4WD.....

Granny

One day at a time...
I have kept myself amused this winter, and the weather has been perfect for doing it. I sold the popup camper last May. After the sale, it didn't take very long for my wife to inform me I needed to find us something else. I looked at campers most of the summer... couldn't find anything that suited me so I decided to build one the way I wanted it. I bought a new Freedom 7'x12' (single axle & barn doors) and took delivery on October 28th. I started to work on it almost immediately and have 99.9% finished it today. I completely gutted it, added 1" foamboard insulation in walls and ceiling. I used the original paneling as it was nice. The rest is plain old pine wood with walnut stain and polyurethane coating on counter top, door frame and shelf over spare tire. The main feature is a queen size bed (which folds up). Other amenities include a small sink and toilet for night calls. It is a cozy place to sleep and was never intended to be much more. I believe we will be very happy with it. Like any other project, it probably isn't as done as I mentioned above, but time will tell.....

Thought I would share. I didn't take any pics as I went about it. Most everyone knows what a basic cargo trailer looks like. I believe the pics of the improvement will speak for themselves. :)
Cargo_Camper-01.jpg
Cargo_Camper-02.jpg
Cargo_Camper-03.jpg
Cargo_Camper-04.jpg
Cargo_Camper-05.jpg
Cargo_Camper-06.jpg
Cargo_Camper-07.jpg
Cargo_Camper-08.jpg
Cargo_Camper-09.jpg
Cargo_Camper-10.jpg
Cargo_Camper-11.jpg
Cargo_Camper-12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have an 8 x 24 V nose i can drop off at your place if you are needing something else to do!!
Yours looks great!!

^^^ Thanks!!! Sorry, but you can do that 8'x24' yourself... a 7'x12" was enough for work for me... my bones still ache from the ceiling work. :lol:

nice! That spare looks like a donut, does the standard trailer tire fit there as well?

Ha Ha... that is a donut from a Grand Cherokee! I made a makeshift caliper to measure the tires with. The donut is less than 1/16" from being the same diameter as the original tires. I also pack a plugging kit in the truck so chances are I will never need the spare... but, just in case it will get me down the road.

Appreciate the compliments! :)

That's pretty cool. Got any exterior pics?

That's pretty cool. Got any exterior pics?

No external pics, but this is the same trailer other than I have barn doors: http://www.trailersusa.com/Trailers/Cargo/2016-Freedom-Trailers-FD-612SA-VN-i143787

Only thing I did to the outside was add an LED porch light (amber).

I failed to answer paradisePWoffrd's question... I have not tried fitting one of the trailer tires in that spot, but I believe it would go in there OK. That shelf is removable... the spare tire actually holds the shelf in place. Since the tire was already taking up the space I decided to put the shelf there thinking it might be handy for my wife to put hair dryer, etc. on as it is right beside an electrical outlet... and it looks a little better. :)

No external pics, but this is the same trailer other than I have barn doors: http://www.trailersusa.com/Trailers/Cargo/2016-Freedom-Trailers-FD-612SA-VN-i143787

Only thing I did to the outside was add an LED porch light (amber).

I failed to answer paradisePWoffrd's question... I have not tried fitting one of the trailer tires in that spot, but I believe it would go in there OK. That shelf is removable... the spare tire actually holds the shelf in place. Since the tire was already taking up the space I decided to put the shelf there thinking it might be handy for my wife to put hair dryer, etc. on as it is right beside an electrical outlet... and it looks a little better. :)
I saw that it was removable, but couldn't tell if it needed the spare to stay. Also i would hate to lose my shelf because i had a blowout.

Looks great! I want to see pics of it completely setup at a campsite!

Thanks Matthew! I have high hopes there won't be very much setting up required. ;)

Awesome job Don!!

Appreciate it Jason! :)

Don, I edited this for the big picture(s)

I'm glad you posted that! I was scratching my head as to how it got that way. :confused: :)

I may have another project in the works. I need a small chest of drawers. I ordered these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Homz-Durabilt-Cart-with-6-Drawers-Black-and-Yellow-Set-of-2/47000719 (only needed one, but price was right). UPS delivered them yesterday. They fell apart coming out of the box so I took them straight back to Walmart for a refund. Looks like I may have to build my own. :driver:

Don, Harbor Freight has a rolling cart on sale for $99, three drawers, and you could close the bottom in. Even put a shelf in the bottom and wah-lah, a chest of drawers you could move a round, lock down or use any way you want to use it.

Don, Harbor Freight has a rolling cart on sale for $99, three drawers, and you could close the bottom in. Even put a shelf in the bottom and wah-lah, a chest of drawers you could move a round, lock down or use any way you want to use it.

17-1/2" is the maximum width I can use. Height can be up to 36". It's a bit heavy, but I have 3/4 of a sheet of 3/4" plywood sitting in the basement waiting for a purpose. I am considering the idea of making the enclosure with it, then making drawers to fit... upside, it would match everything else.

Appreciate the tip anyway!

My dad did something very similar to this a few years ago, I love to borrow what he calls the "Rolling Pout House". I took it to Windrock a couple of years ago.
11259727_10207042763532149_3262444598029279116_n.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if we have met or not, but if Ol' Jeeps calls you a "shit starter" you must be OK! :lol:

That looks like a nice setup your dad has... I would be interested in knowing more about the screen door. I plan to put one in mine, but nothing relating to a standard size will work.

I don't know if we have met or not, but if Ol' Jeeps calls you a "shit starter" you must be OK! :lol:

That looks like a nice setup your dad has... I would be interested in knowing more about the screen door. I plan to put one in mine, but nothing relating to a standard size will work.

He ordered the windows and door from the factory when he ordered the trailer. He has his configured to sleep 3 adults. 2 single beds each side and a bunk up top.

We met several years ago at a ride in Mountain City, with the Carolina K5 crew at that time.

Nice work Don. Would expect nothing less!

He ordered the windows and door from the factory when he ordered the trailer. He has his configured to sleep 3 adults. 2 single beds each side and a bunk up top.

We met several years ago at a ride in Mountain City, with the Carolina K5 crew at that time.

I suspected it was factory, but never hurts to ask.

Mountain City..... If we still had that place, I believe I would still own a trail rig. I am sorry I can't remember meeting you, but I have met so many people over the years my memory chip is swamped! :confused: :eek:

Nice work Don. Would expect nothing less!

Thanks Steve! I miss ya buddy... hope to run into you again sometime. :)

I slept in the trailer for the first time last night. It got down down to 26° last night according to our thermometer (front porch). My little 1500w electric heater kept the inside warmed up nicely. I hung two small thermometers up in it before I went to sleep. When I first woke up this morning (6-7 am) the one in the back read 68° and it was 70° in the front end. That was even better than I had expected. :)

Back