No start after getting gas

adamk

I know everyone here knows their off-road rigs and trucks but this is paging anyone that could help me figure out what's going on with my 2011 Kia Rio. It's my daily driver and has been pretty darn reliable until recently.

Problem: After filling up at the gas station, the car has a hard time starting. I can get it to start by feathering the throttle but to keep it running, I have to keep the RPMs above 1500 or else it dies. After getting the car running it runs great until I get gas again. It'll start/restart with zero issues between fill ups but whenever I fill the tank, the problem shows face.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Change the evap canister purge valve. It's under the hood. They stick open and it floods the engine with vapors when you refuel. Real common problem on Kia, Hyundai, and Fords.

Edit: if you take the hoses off it and the key is off you shouldn't be able to blow through it.

Picked one up and I’ll get it replaced. I’ll know if that’s the solution at the next fill up. Greatly appreciate the help

I've replaced a bunch. When you pull the old one if you can blow through it with it unplugged it's bad. I'm 99% sure that'll fix you up.

Back