Newbe Trailer question

cyoung

At the risk of sounding dumb, is there a good rule of thumb for best trailer length vs vehicle length? For example, if vehicle is 16' is there any advantage to having an 18' trailer vs a 16' as far as how it tows, turns, etc.? What about an even shorter trailer as long as wheels fit?
Thanks!

You need to consider overall length vs wheel base vs over hang and total weight

Ex. a small toy pickup while long could be put on a smaller trailer a little easier than say a full size chevy.

I've put TJs and zuks on a 12' with the tie down points at the very end of the deck. Wheels almost to the ends...

Consider what other stuff you may want to put on the trailer with in the trailers capacity..

A trailer that is a little longer than you need is nice because it lets you move the load forward or backward to fine tune the trailer balance to suit how your tow rig likes to pull it. If you buy a trailer that is exactly the size of your trail rig you don't have that option. Besides, you almost never regret having a trailer that is little bigger than what you really need, but you will definitely regret having one too small. The trailer I tow my Bronco on is a 22' deck over, at least six foot longer than the Bronco, but having the extra room is great for hauling tires, camping equipment, long tubing or lumber, etc

I had my trailer built to spec for my TJ to save on weight. The deck is about the same length of the TJ bumper to bumper. The one thing I regret the most is dove tailing the end of the deck. It makes it a little easier to load but you effectively loose that space for other things as well as being able to fine tune the balance.

Thanks!

My F150 is around 16' long and I was thinking about a trailer that is only 14' and has ramps attached at the back thus eliminating any overhang at the rear. I'm thinking a little longer is better for me.
Thanks again for the feedback.

Back