New Winders

Got a leaky window upstairs and we're gonna bite the bullet and get all new windows.

Who do I call?
What do I get?
Can I break all the old ones?
When I lick the new ones will they taste the same?
EPA banned the crayon flavor back in the early 2000s, so you'll probably be disappointed with the new stuff (depending on what you're used to of course)

Window World & Siding Co. Charlotte, 704-527-5325. [Anderson Dealer] I've had Windows, Heat Pump, & Gutters, replaced, & all contractors were referred by NC4x4 members. I have found all 3, to be the lowest estimates, I obtained! All have done excellent work, & I'm Pleased with the Products!

They are very easy to do yourself if you are up to it. You can buy them from Home Depot or Lowes or Barefoot in Indian Trail. You will save 1000's of dollars Youtube it and see what you think.

This thread scares me! I'm gong to have to replace the windows in my house in thenext couple years. 33 of them.

If I remember right. All mine cost 120 or 130 each. I think that’s the starting/base price, if you go over a certain size the price goes up, most all sizes fall in this price. Unless it’s a huge window.
Mine ,old ones, were wood casement windows, I measured width and height and ordered 1/4” smaller. The “custom”sizes are in 1/4 inch increments. So 23 7/8” would be a 23 3/4” or 23 1/2” depending on how square your old ones are and how tight you like it.
They were double hung ( top sash moved and swung out for cleaning) and insulated low e or some other gas. They were also coated with a reflective coating. I can’t remember the brand name, but they were made to order, somewhere in West Virginia.

I popped the lower sash out removed the center track/divider and then the upper sash was snatched out. After that the replacement is installed, caulked, shimmed and screwed in. Trim out the interior portion of the sash and paint. Might be able to reuse your old sash trim on the interior. Took me a couple of days to do 17 windows by myself. I took longer on the trim because I ripped out all the old stuff with lead paint on. It’s a process, but you only can do one at a time, and after a few you get faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember right. All mine cost 120 or 130 each. I think that’s the starting/base price, if you go over a certain size the price goes up, most all sizes fall in this price. Unless it’s a huge window.
Mine ,old ones, were wood casement windows, I measured width and height and ordered 1/4” smaller. The “custom”sizes are in 1/4 inch increments. So 23 7/8” would be a 23 3/4” or 23 1/2” depending on how square your old ones are and how tight you like it.
They were double hung ( top sash moved and swung out for cleaning) and insulated low e or some other gas. They were also coated with a reflective coating. I can’t remember the brand name, but they were made to order, somewhere in West Virginia.

I popped the lower sash out removed the center track/divider and then the upper sash was snatched out. After that the replacement is installed, caulked, shimmed and screwed in. Trim out the interior portion of the sash and paint. Might be able to reuse your old sash trim on the interior. Took me a couple of days to do 17 windows by myself. I took longer on the trim because I ripped out all the old stuff with lead paint on. It’s a process, but you only can do one at a time, and after a few you get faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be replacing mine from the outside so no work to do on the inside. The exterior metal workaround the original windows looks like shit.

I used window world and I am very happy with the installation and quality of windows. We have had them for 4 years with no issues.

And they really helped insulate the house.

Got a leaky window upstairs and we're gonna bite the bullet and get all new windows.

Who do I call? - GHOSTBUSTERS
What do I get? - A lighter wallet
Can I break all the old ones? - Only if they're still installed in the house when you do it.
When I lick the new ones will they taste the same? - see @jeepinmatt 's answer

Back