New Truck Buy

blackjak71

I'm currently looking at buying an F-250. But need some schooling on Do's and Dont's of Ford Trucks. Dont have any certain years or miles nailed down, except that its a 2000 model, I'd say 00-04 or 05 depending on price. I'd like to get a crewcab, regular length bed, 4x4. Should I be looking at 7.3's or 6.0's. Are certain setups better than others? Thanks in advance, Dan

blackjak71 said:
I'm currently looking at buying an F-250. But need some schooling on Do's and Dont's of Ford Trucks.

Best schooling I can give you is...Buy a CTD...as in, Don't buy a Ford.

Leave off the 2003, 2004 6.0's. Those were the first two year of production with those engines and they were plagued with issues. Your best bet, for a Ford is 2000-2002 with the 7.3 if your looking at used. Be warned, they hold their resale value. A used CTD would be cheaper. They both have their good points and bad points.

If you are looking to mod a ford, get a late '99 or '00. Thay had the forged rods, versus the later PMRs. If I was going to buy another Ford, I'd look for a 2000 w/ 6 speed.

blackjak71 said:
whats your reasoning?

Heard it said once, When buying a truck If you want a good chassis with a crappy motor, get a Ford. If you want a good motor wrapped in a crappy chassis, get a Dodge. If you want a Crappy motor wrapped in a crappy chassis, get a Chevy.

We've had nothing but issues with our F550 Dump truck, 2 turbos, 3 sets of injectors and several computer flashes...My boss is stuck in OK trying to pull his excavator out to the new house in MT...Seems the turbo that was put on last week isn't working now...that would make 3 in 28,000 miles...

My CTD has 150K miles on it and has been pretty much trouble free for me or either of the 2 PO's (yea, I talked to them post sale).

What it really comes down to is personal preference and opinion. I'm of the opinion that the CTD is a better hauler, and will be 3-4 thousand $'s less for the same Ford.

The 7.3 was still available in 2003. it was a split year deal so it could have either. I would stick with a 7.3 six speed if you are still stuck on Ford.

2nd on the 99.5 to 2000 having the forged rods, stay away from the Powdered Metal Rods (PMR) found on the later trucks. They will window your block quickly if you turn up the HP any.

I have a late 99 f250 (99.5), they are produced after 5/99. If i was to buy again i would probably go Dodge though. They seem to be more upgrade friendly and durable when you increse their power. If you want to spend some real coin I will sell you my low mileage Grease powered truck 99.5 f250 cc 4x4 heavily hooked up.:D

Back