New tow pig prices

[mention]jeepinmatt [/mention] we got your point. You are richer than the rest of us :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are smoother, quieter, ride better, have more power, better creature comforts AND still have improved payload and towing capacity, and just generally control a load better.
Well, except for Fords. Put a bag of concrete in the bed, and the springs drop to the bump stops. That gets back to your "the ride quality is great when I'm riding around empty!" thing, though. Kinda like how Ford had Goodyear build tires with soft sidewalls for them back in the 90s.

Then I guess I need to define what I meant by capability better.

Is you truck capable of moving a load from point A to point B ?

If yes, it's capable of doing it. Doing so at 70 is "nice", but it's not necessary.

By that definition, though. Trucks arent necessary at all.
Horses, bicycles and even your feet can get you there.

I mean shit my old Massey Harris Pony or my Super A *could* pull a a buggy to Harlan. No need for a truck at all

[mention]jeepinmatt [/mention] we got your point. You are richer than the rest of us :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha, hardly. Never spent more than ~$20k on a vehicle. More along the lines of @77GreenMachine and his 500k mile truck. I like my trucks like I like my women, well equipped, well taken care of, highly experienced, and really cheap.

By that definition, though. Trucks arent necessary at all.
Horses, bicycles and even your feet can get you there.

I mean shit my old Massey Harris Pony or my Super A *could* pull a a buggy to Harlan. No need for a truck at all

Your massey can't tote your family around nor has a bed to put shit in.

I was just trying to share my thoughts on why the price of new trucks seem crazy and why I don't think they are going to slow down.

Your massey can't tote your family around nor has a bed to put shit in.

I was just trying to share my thoughts on why the price of new trucks seem crazy and why I don't think they are going to slow down.
Im just "talking" dont take this as arguing..
But to your point...that 80s square body cant tote my family either. I think thats kinda the point its a slow evolution but..back then the very idea of a crew cab was weird and novel. Now Im not even sure you can order a standard cab truck

Im just "talking" dont take this as arguing..
But to your point...that 80s square body cant tote my family either. I think thats kinda the point its a slow evolution but..back then the very idea of a crew cab was weird and novel. Now Im not even sure you can order a standard cab truck

I don't, no worries.

But you can find crew cab OBS as well as standard cabs brand new trucks. They are just rare(r).

Well, except for Fords. Put a bag of concrete in the bed, and the springs drop to the bump stops.

Quikcrete must have gotten a lot heavier since I bought my last 80# bag...:shaking:

upload_2020-9-23_13-53-7.png

That fawker looks fairly level to me (at 200k and 15 y/o to boot).

Quikcrete must have gotten a lot heavier since I bought my last 80# bag...:shaking:

View attachment 326566

Nevermind @shawn his buyer's remorse over driving a Dodge is only overcome by his self righteous inability to admit his mistake..

:flipoff2:

Nevermind @shawn his buyer's remorse over driving a Dodge is only overcome by his self righteous inability to admit his mistake..

:lol:

At least I bought a long bed I reckon

View attachment 326566

The older ones are fine. Now do it with a late-model. Although, if we're being honest, there's probably not much weight on the pin. Get @jeepinmatt to post a picture with his tag trailer.

Aw look, it's the spokesman for the "I spent thousands and thousands of dollars trying to keep a 6.0 on the road, but can't admit it was a bad buy" crew!

Ha, hardly. Never spent more than ~$20k on a vehicle. More along the lines of @77GreenMachine and his 500k mile truck. I like my trucks like I like my women, well equipped, well taken care of, highly experienced, and really cheap.
When you hit the market for a sub-$20k 15-17 6.7 PSD, please find 2.

In @Shawn's defense, as much as I hate to, the newer superdutys squat like crazy. My 03 f250 barely squatted with my trailer loaded. Not stock and definitely not with the 6" lift kit (rear springs, not lift blocks). My stock 16 f250 drags ass like a Carolina squatter with the same trailer. But it rides "like a Cadillac" loaded or not and roasts the tires doing it.

If I towed more often than I do I'd look into active load helper springs or bags, but for a couple of times a year lately I just wing it.

When you hit the market for a sub-$20k 15-17 6.7 PSD, please find 2.

I will most likely be buying another Chevy. Ideally it would be a 14+ 3500 dually with the 6.0 but I believe the chances of finding that truck in anything better than a work model white plain Jane would be almost impossible. Might have to eat some crow and settle for the Dirtymax

In @Shawn's defense, as much as I hate to, the newer superdutys squat like crazy. My 03 f250 barely squatted with my trailer loaded. Not stock and definitely not with the 6" lift kit (rear springs, not lift blocks). My stock 16 f250 drags ass like a Carolina squatter with the same trailer. But it rides "like a Cadillac" loaded or not and roasts the tires doing it.

If I towed more often than I do I'd look into active load helper springs or bags, but for a couple of times a year lately I just wing it.

Long bed or short?

I will most likely be buying another Chevy. Ideally it would be a 14+ 3500 dually with the 6.0 but I believe the chances of finding that truck in anything better than a work model white plain Jane would be almost impossible. Might have to eat some crow and settle for the Dirtymax
I was talking about for me...

Aw look, it's the spokesman for the "I spent thousands and thousands of dollars trying to keep a 6.0 on the road, but can't admit it was a bad buy" crew!
Not true.
Put 135k miles on my 6.0 (bought it with 120k on it)
Spent a total of $900 on an egr delete. And sold it for $2k more than I bought it for.
And the new owner is STILL driving it today...I think he aid shes at 340k now?

Long bed or short?
The 16 is a crew cab short bed, the 03 was a extended cab long bed.

The 16 rides much better. But it squats more.
IMG_20151016_161857804_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151128_074528005.jpg
IMG_20160513_151357602_HDR.jpg

I don't have a pic of the 03 stock but stock or lifted it squatted about an inch with the same load. The 16 drops 2 or 3 inches

Just wondering if a long bed would squat less with the longer wheel base.
Well mines technically the same wheel base give or take a few inches. The difference in cab length got basically made up by bed length.

@Ron please send your letter of resignation to Troy and Rob.
says the Cummins fanboi who I believe changed an injection pump on the side of I 40 once on the way to Marion IIRC.

I stopped reading somewhere around the end of page one...but my 2cents: I feel like capability and cost of new trucks is a cyclical argument. Hell, this argument is still had in my ‘old truck’ groups...there’s no need for a 70’s truck, the 50’s will do just fine. There’s no need for a 90’s truck the 70’s will do just fine. So on and so forth. Cost is the same deal...adjust for inflation, you’re probably getting a lot of bang for your buck. ‘Need’ and ‘better tool for the job’ are different things.

says the Cummins fanboi who I believe changed an injection pump on the side of I 40 once on the way to Marion IIRC.

No, that truck never broke down. Had a kid drop a rock from a bridge in W-S and blew out the windshield, though. Swapping a CP3 on the side of the road would be a huge PITA.

Also, I like how you framed the purchase and sale of your old 6.0 to suggest that it appreciated in value while you owned it. That's creative. ;)

The older ones are fine. Now do it with a late-model. Although, if we're being honest, there's probably not much weight on the pin. Get @jeepinmatt to post a picture with his tag trailer.
To be fair, there's probably nearly as much weight on the hitch of mine as on the pin of your gooseneck :p

If only there were a way to address the soft springs that provide good ride quality, but only make it stiffer temporarily when needed, and for an affordable price, without replacing any OEM components with lesser quality aftermarket stuff, then I would have coincidentally ordered it on monday of this week:
upload_2020-9-23_16-36-36.png

Back