Need Trailer wiring help

BRUISER

silent.. but deadly
Well I wired up all lights this weekend for the trailer and I now need to wrie the trailer brakes...

My axles have 2 wires on each backing plate both are black... does it matter which is ground?? these did not come with instructions :)

i had the same problem, i tried hooking them up both ways and it didnt seem to matter at all. the brakes worked fine either way. good luck with it.

Doesn't matter Ken. Lights are not polarized unless they are LEDs. For the bulb to light you ony have to 'complete' the circuit wether AC or DC.
JB

im pretty sure he meant the actual brakes themselves, not the brake lights.
but the same theory applies b/c it is just an electromagnet that is being activated?

ok cool...

I guess I can now finish wiring up the trailer brakes...

all Lights are wired and working ( all LED's ) :)

OH ! As for the brakes themselves, I don't know. They may be polarized. When DC is applied, they should expand ? or compress ? They may very well be polarized. Ken, jack up one side, spin a wheel, apply juice and see what happens. I really don't know if it matters when it comes to the brakes themselves. :confused:
JB

The Beast said:
Brake is just a coil, similar to a light bulb, polarity doesn't matter.

It may not matter on brake systems but a coil IS an electro magnet. There is polarity. There will be a 'north' and a 'south' polarization. I just don't know about electric brakes. Thanks though Beast.
JB

Electric brakes dont care as long as both sides are the same. (all 4 or 6 depending on axles) Be sure to put the ground to the frame of the trailer and if your running a pollack plug make use of the ground for the 7th pin. I've had a couple that would pulse the brakes due to rust on the ball and losing the ground. If you run the crossover through the axle make damn sure its got grommets, insulation melting off smells bad. :beer:

Back