Need opinion - should I buy this gooseneck trailer?

thecarman

I have been thinking about getting a gooseneck for a while, and I came across one that I'm trying to decide if I should buy. What do you think?

2003 Road Boss (from Oklahoma)
- 30 foot deck-over, probably 26 foot flat and 4 foot dove.
- dove tail can be raised to make the whole deck flat
- wood deck
- slide out ramps
- 2 7000 pound 8-lug Torsion axles with brakes on both
- has a deck built over gooseneck so you can put stuff up there
- stake pockets and full "rub rail"
- frame looks VERY well built, was built to haul Bobcat/backhoe, not just hay or whatever. I'm not worried about the frame/crossmembers at all
- in OK shape, rub rail dented up, some wiring messed up (not major), missing one tail light and two side markers, one broken deck board, missing one wheel bearing cap
- tires will work, but I would like to replace them at some point (non matching, 1/4-1/2 tread)

Sorry I didn't get any pics.

The guy will not take less than $3500 (I tried offering less with cash in hand), he was originally asking $4k.

Based on the prices you have seen around here, should I get it?

Worst case that I can think of, I might get it and have to replace one or both axles after a while (nothing makes me suspect that I would need to do this, I'm just saying *worst case* scenario).

Thanks!
Richard

Richard call up Craftsman trailers in Ramsour on 64 and talk to them.
I have a guy I work with that has a PJ trailer like the one you talking and it is heavy with the dove and stuff. You may want to get it weighed first I would bet 5k lbs maybe 6k lbs He sais his was about 6K .
Its a lot of extra weight say you add the K5 and camping stuff you would maybe be around 15K giv or take.
I know Kraftman makes a trailer like mine but its 20 flat with GN.
What is it made out of I beam or channel..
The axles on that trailer have a life like tires do and the ruber will break down.
Other thing with that setup is you must be level to get pressure on all 4 tires the same you will not have a equalizer like springs. I is easy ot overload tires like going over a curb it will lift two tires front or back off the ground.
A friend lost a tire on his camper driving over a curb to store his camper now he has ramps for it he said.
Mine with springs the tires stay on the ground parking it when I drive over the curb at the house.
Also dont forget anything over 10K you need to get you Drivers License changed to a Class A or what ever it is. If the trailer has not been papered ie new they can build a 14 k trailer and derate the tag on it to 9999 and then you carry what you want.
Jon

Naah, pass on it.. what's the guy's number by the way? :D

Jack up the trailer a little bit and rock the tires. That'll give you an idea if the bearings have ever been serviced, as it sounds like it's been neglected.

That trailer might go for maybe $5k with leaf spring axles new.. those torsion jobbies ain't cheap, but it's vital that the trailer sit VERY level when loaded, or you'll overload one of the axles.

Also dont forget anything over 10K you need to get you Drivers License changed to a Class A or what ever it is. If the trailer has not been papered ie new they can build a 14 k trailer and derate the tag on it to 9999 and then you carry what you want.
Jon

I'd rather get a ticket for not having a class A then pay the fine for being several thousand pounds overweight. (That's assuming you ever get pulled.)

I would bet money that 80% of the people pulling 10k+ trailers don't have Class A's. After spending days trying to take the road test for mine, I know part of the reason why!

^^ I concur. My trailer is 14k lbs, but I'm not going through the hassle to get the class A. The DMV doesn't even know which test I need, or the different b/t CDL and non CDL class A. As long as I stay in NC I'm really not worried about it. I've pulled past many troopers and local cops over the last year w/out any problems

Yeah, been there done that. The fine is only $75 but the problem is if the DMV officer is having a bad day, they won't let you drive away knowing you have the wrong license. The one that stopped me was nice enough to tell me which way he was going, and suggested i go the opposite.

I defintely want a trailer this big and this heavy. I have a slide-in camper for the front of it, and will put my K5 on the back. I also plan to sometimes tow two vehicles at a time. I have no question about what type of trailer I want. :) I don't want this to turn into a thread about how big of a trailer I need, or what I need to tow it with. ;)

But about whether I should buy this one:
The axles are my main concern, had heard both good and bad about the Torsion axles. I was hoping it had leafs instead, because that's what I'm used to, and because replacement leaf-sprung axles seem to be a little cheaper.

Rich - do you seriously want the guy's number if I don't buy it?

I know I'm looking at *at least* $5200 brand new for a trailer like this, maybe more. I'll call Kraftsman and see what they would charge.

Thanks!
Richard

I called Kraftsman and they quoted me $5235, so I think I'm going to do that instead! 3 week lead time.

That's for almost the exact same trailer. The only differences:
- standard dovetail, not pop-up (I don't need it to pop up, pop-up is a $250 option)
- no deck above the gooseneck (I don't care, I can build my own if I decide I need it
- 10-inch I-beam construction on the Kraftsman, and I think the Road Boss may have been heavier, I'll have to check.

You guys have been decently happy with your Kraftsman trailers, right?

Just talked to Kraftsman again, and they said for an extra $200 they can go to 12-inch "pierced frame" construction instead of 10-inch I-beam.

Think that would be worth it?

Just talked to Kraftsman again, and they said for an extra $200 they can go to 12-inch "pierced frame" construction instead of 10-inch I-beam.
Think that would be worth it?

What is the weight difference? I like good old steel....
Does the 12" set higher 2" ?
Junk like that is all I would bet that the difference is just a little weight or something let that be what you go by. If you need more to load or not.
I would think the I beam would be better if you want to add stuff and weld to it down the road.
BTW I love my trailer and have not had a problem with it. They also stand by there stuff and will build it anyway you want so if you go for them look at every trailer you know of and spend the time to have it done the way you want. If you remember mins one big thing was to move the jack back and where the tire mounts on the front will clear the truck and tailgate and stock it would not have. Its small stuff like that, aand makes it yours to be happy with. I know yours is a GN and you will look at stuff different but stuff like clearing your bed with the lift could cause a problem. or just putting tie downs where you want them and stuff like that. He dealer a little with mw and Carl when we got ours so I say push him for a deal and get what you want and new it will last you forever ...
J

I'd rather get a ticket for not having a class A then pay the fine for being several thousand pounds overweight. (That's assuming you ever get pulled.)
I would bet money that 80% of the people pulling 10k+ trailers don't have Class A's. After spending days trying to take the road test for mine, I know part of the reason why!

Rich
I would bet you are correct but this is the way I look at it....
1) you are more likley to be pulled any day from a cop and if they check then you park it for not having a class A, he will not know anything about weight or anything other then DL and tags.
2) it would take DMV to do anything with weight so the chances of that are small that DMV would stop and weigh you.
3) the weight is what it can or should haul don't think they care as long as the weight on the tages covers the load.

Just FYI I don't know why my truck is so heavy but with not much in it I'm 8500 lbs with gear and one other person it pushes 10K the sticker on the truck said GVWR 9000 lb so most of the time it is over weight so if they get me it may be big. I think what I'm saying is if the truck is always over GVWR and the trailer was over GVWR then they will get me for that, different then getting me for weight of the tags and class A....
So question: say this can they get you for 3 different things or does the weight on the tags drop the GVWR thing and Class A only counts over 10K.
Has anyone got anything for being over the GVWR, not that I know, but have seen people get it for not having enough weight on the tags or wrong DL???
If they start looking at GVWR we are all in for a ticket...
Richard sorry for the highjack
Jon

Back