Need input on comfortable shoes

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
As of right now, I have only found one shoe/boot that is comfortable for my feet. I have neuropathy and just any shoe can nearly cripple me, not just standing or walking, but just sitting while I wear them!
Right now and for years, all I can wear are Georgia boot, comfort core boots. It would be really nice to have a shoe I can wear. Ideas?
tennis shoes are out.

Crocs :D

I feel for you. I don’t have your condition but I have a foot with the profile of a 2 by 4 so finding comfortable shoes can be intensive. Check with a podiatrist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try and get away from the work boot style and go for a hiking boot if you’re looking for better comfort. I’ve owned just about every name brand of hiking boots. For the money you can’t beat Merrill. They’re pretty comfortable. Keens are nice. I’m currently wearing asolo. They’re pricey but comfortable to me. Salomon also makes a pricey good boot. Check out the Zappos website. They’ve got every big name brand of boot for sale with reviews and sizing charts. Free shipping and easy to return if they don’t fit.

Merrel Moab’s are pretty sweet I’m not a fan of the low top I prefer the mids for work and hiking,I’ve also heard good things about newer carhartt work boots. I run a non insulated pair of carhartts with dr scholls f44 in sole and 12-14hrs standing I don’t even noticed I’ve been on my feet!

Personally I hate Merrell shoes. If your feet are that finicky, the only way you'll know is to try on a few. There's probably a place in Morganton or hickory, but if not, Morgan's shoes in Gastonia has a really big selection in stock and decent prices.

I would say focus more on a nice insole. I have been happy with sofsole.

Anyone giving you a brand recommendation is just looking for confirmation bias.

Every foot is so different and most (good) shoe manufacturers make different shoes for different feet type.
Even though you say tennis shoes are out, for the (free) cost it would be worth visiting a running store and having them map your foot and gait.

For example, I have had major knee issues my whole life and have never been able to run for exercise without serious knee and ankle pain. About 2 years ago I learned about foot mapping.
Turns out I have a "super weird" foot.
1) My foot is completely flat. They had me step on an ink pad and then walk. There is no instep missing when doing this. You see an entire foot. Typically folks with a "low instep" will have a 15-20% cut out. So even low instep shoes were killing me.
2) Further compounding my trouble everyone naturally "rolls" their foot in or out when they walk....most flat feet roll inward and most high arches roll outward. The heel of the sole needs to account for this. Well I have a flat foot that rolls out.

There are like 4 total shoes designed for this combo. None of them look very stylish. But I bought a pari of tennis shoes that cost $100 are ugly as hell...and I can run until my lungs give out (so like 80') or stand all day and have zero foot/knee/ankle pain.

If hiking boots, Vasque, Scarpa, La Sportiva, Asolo. I like Vasque a lot more than Merrell, and the other 3 brands I listed are on the higher-end range of quality and price. I used to have some Scarpas that I had re-soled and then finally wore out the uppers. That's a lot of hiking.

I use to only wear Merrells. Then Plantar-fasciitis put a hurtin on me that only a 5" needle directly into my heel 4 different times helped. Thought I was being a puss until my wife's mother had the same thing, same shots and told my wife child-birth hurt less :eek:

Anyway, Doc told me to wear Solomon shoes or solomon boots (click here) and to also NEVER walk barefooted in the house. He said Oofos makes a slipper or sandal for the house that I'm supposed to wear whenever my foot touches the floor.
Couple that with the stretches and I've not had ANY more foot problems.

Every foot is so different and most (good) shoe manufacturers make different shoes for different feet type.
Even though you say tennis shoes are out, for the (free) cost it would be worth visiting a running store and having them map your foot and gait.

For example, I have had major knee issues my whole life and have never been able to run for exercise without serious knee and ankle pain. About 2 years ago I learned about foot mapping.
Turns out I have a "super weird" foot.
1) My foot is completely flat. They had me step on an ink pad and then walk. There is no instep missing when doing this. You see an entire foot. Typically folks with a "low instep" will have a 15-20% cut out. So even low instep shoes were killing me.
2) Further compounding my trouble everyone naturally "rolls" their foot in or out when they walk....most flat feet roll inward and most high arches roll outward. The heel of the sole needs to account for this. Well I have a flat foot that rolls out.

There are like 4 total shoes designed for this combo. None of them look very stylish. But I bought a pari of tennis shoes that cost $100 are ugly as hell...and I can run until my lungs give out (so like 80') or stand all day and have zero foot/knee/ankle pain.

...ditto..

Find a running shoe store, they will be better at getting you into the right shoe than a big box store.

No, I’ve just spent a lot of money wearing out inferior quality products.

Just passing on what lasts longer and are higher quality without spending a ton more money.

Comfort doesn’t matter much crawling around, but cheaper products don’t last.

Standing on concrete for hours at a time really show differences in quality and comfort.

I agree on getting your foot and gait mapped to see what should work best for you.

I don't have that but I do have a lot of foot issues from standing on concrete for years and years.
Sketchers made a huge difference for me.
I also go to running stores to get fitted for casual shoes. That way the shoes properly support my arches and are fitted for my (and everyone else's) foot shape

Of the many who have posted, do any of you suffer from neuropathy?

No, they're just telling you their favorite brand of boot.

I'm with Ron on the gait mapping. If you know specifically what the cause of the neuropathy is (ruptured disc for example), that will help on fitment too. It may be that you need a certain heel rise, which turns your hips slightly and alleviates the pressure on the nerve, etc.

Go to a good running store and tell them you’re a blank canvas with no clue about what should fit your foot properly. Gait mapping and properly fitting your foot with a brannock device to determine actual length, width and arch is the only way to go. Brand recommendations don’t mean squat, every foot is different.

Many hip, knee and back issues stem from wearing the wrong or ill fitting shoes.

No, they're just telling you their favorite brand of boot.

I'm with Ron on the gait mapping. If you know specifically what the cause of the neuropathy is (ruptured disc for example), that will help on fitment too. It may be that you need a certain heel rise, which turns your hips slightly and alleviates the pressure on the nerve, etc.

The neuropathy is related to Diabetes. That's the first issue. Have also so had three knee surgeries, the last being a total knee replacement, that didn't do well, and is loose. Because of all the limping over the last 7 years, the other knee is going,..... fast. I also have sciatica, which I also think is a result of the issues with the replacement. Often I sit on my ass for long periods, because it hurts too much to walk. Sitting don't hurt, but often does cause my feet to swell.

It was also mentioned about going barefooted, even in the house. I don't, I can't. I will always be found with at least bedroom shoes. Smallest piece of grit, to me feels like stepping on a Lego.

I'm gonna look for a place that can give me a better fitment. Most likely, I'll need to go to Hickory or Asheville. Either is about the same trip for me.

I appreciate everyone who has responded. I don't cheap out on shoes. The Georgia boots are not cheap, and they last for a long time. But it would be nice to be able to wear a shoe.
Georgia boots did at one time, make a shoe, that looked just like the boots. @89wrangler was wearing a pair when he cam over to visit once. But searching, I have not been able to find them. I am thinking they may have been discontinued.

To me Keens are the most comfortable but everyone is different. I suggest heading up to Asheville to discount shoes which have tons of different styles and brands of shoes to try out. You might have something down your way as well but this is the biggest shoe store I’ve ever seen. Also might look into having custom orthodox made to your feet.

Back