Need info on Diesel Exhaust Temp

BRUISER

silent.. but deadly
Hey guys/gals,

If you have a Deisel and gauges.. I need to know what your exhaust temps are after the turbo.. and also how far behind the turbo your temp sensor is installed( in inches if possible)

I am working on a new idea and need to run some numbers..

ALso please let me know what kind of rig you have - IE: dodgem ford, etc..

Thanks in advance

No idea.. pre-turbo is the one worth measuring. From what I've read only, when cruising, post turbo is ~100° cooler than pre-turbo, but under heavy load/WOT, it can be 500-600° different...

Your pistons don't care how cool it is after the turbo.. ;)

I've even got the tap you need.

ohhh, well then that should help a bit.

I think the truck Grant bought has both pre and post-turbo pyrometers.

I know stacks will be hot enough to give you a nice burn ..

temp

Your fuel would have to be really cranked up to get above 900 deg post turbo.

I originally installed my pyrometer post-turbo, I was a little gun shy to drill my manifold. Cruising at 55-75, my temps were 400-550. WOT, I would see 1100. Once I installed it in manifold, cruising w/ load around 800 at 75. WOT, I'll hit 1400 fairly quick, I need a turbo desperately.

Oh, and mine was installed approx.2" from turbo

Rich said:
I think the truck Grant bought has both pre and post-turbo pyrometers.

Yes, it does.

Mine was installed by the original owner, it's down at the bend...well after the turbo. I sit at about 600 on the highway crusing 75, after a couple of WOT runs it'll hit 1100.

(96 CTD with stock plate slid forward, K&N filter, jake brake)

1100 post-turbo?? Holy crap... That's HOT.

Ken - you making diesel flamethrowers? :D

Whats the best was to drill and tap the hole pre-turbo without getting anything in the turbo? Sorry to hyjack

Rich said:
Ken - you making diesel flamethrowers? :D

hahhaa that would be cool :)

but NO I am just thinking outside the box...

Pinkston said:
Whats the best was to drill and tap the hole pre-turbo without getting anything in the turbo? Sorry to hyjack

Drill and tap w/ it running. Lots of grease on the bit and tap.

drill

I held a magnet to the bit as I drilled. Then used a magnet to get all I could after tapping. The metal that is left is so small it will blow thru the turbo with no harm. That was about 150,000 miles ago.

The turbo comes off with 4 bolts. pull it down 1/2", slide a piece of cardboard over the turbo's opening. drill, tap, do whatcha gotta do with a dry tap/drill. Then start the engine just for a moment. The chips are gone. Re-attach the turbo.

cake.

Trying to tap it with it running would be a pain IMO.. lots of vibration, noise, heat, etc...

Go from small bits to the size you need, in very small increments, lots of grease on the bits and taps, use a shop vac to clean, then a magnet. I did mine that way, 30,000+ miles later it's still running.

I kinda got this one off topic, but thanks for the tips. My gauges should be here next week.

Rich said:

O.K. I'm a dumbass. Forgot the layout of my gauge. 900 straight up, not 1100.

Cruise at around 500, hard on throttle, around 850 or so. Pulling LoModYJ up to Callalante Saturday went wide open on the hill...swapping between 3rd and 4th gear (waaaayyyy to big a gap between them) got it up to 950...best I could do, sorry.:D

How high can exhaust temps get before they start to cause problems? I run 600 cruising and just shy of a thousand pre turbo when I get on it.

950° post turbo could still be hot.. depends on how much heat your turbo actually soaks up... fueled CTD guys have reported 500-600° differences, which could be putting you around 1450-1500°, which is hotter than I want to see except for a brief instant.

General - on a Dodge, it's generally accepted that 1250° pre-turbo is OK for hours on end.

1050-1250

I am curious, does the Powerstroke average that hot pre-turbo or just during large climbs like I-40 up Black Mtn while towing?

Mine runs between 800 and 900 towing, until I hit that steep clime before Paragon, then I reached 1250 running 80 mph. Backed down to 70 and ran around 1000 - 1100.

Usually just real hard pulls up black mountain or the like. I can twist the needle off the egt gauge if i choose. loaded i am between 16500-17000# and pulling all that with a lifted truck so i have temps a bit higher than normal. i also pull with my flip chip set to 100 hp among other mods.

I will average about 1000-1100 running from URE to RDU at aout 75-80 mph loaded. I Just replaced my turbo at 95k with a bigger one and the old one was still perfectly fine.

greg slade said:
I Just replaced my turbo at 95k with a bigger one and the old one was still perfectly fine.

we hope cause i own it.

If you are running a stock 7.3 do you need to worry about it. what causes high EGT temps? my shit runs at 2500 rpms at 75-80 which i am always going loaded. will high rpm's like this cause high temps.

too much boost, not enuff RPMs=high EGT

Chase, buy an EGT gauge your motor will thank you.

you are not likely going to have a problem unless you are running a chip or other power enhancers.

Back