Need help with paver patio install

YotaOnRocks

Anybody got any experience with paver patios. I think I might be over thinking things but I want to do it right the first time. I am trying to level my rock base for the patio and am frustrated to the point that I walked away from the project yesterday. Seems like no matter what I do I am 1/4" high here or 1/4 low there when i check it with a straight board. I rake the base around and move it around by hand just to check it and have the same thing in a different spot on the board.

Does the bedding sand compensate for these small fluctuations? Is there a good method for leveling the base? I'm using crusher run for the base material and a have compacted it in 2" lifts but now I'm at the last lift that puts the pavers at the correct height and slope and can't seem to get it dialed in.

Thank you for any help or insight. I'm being driven crazy by some stupid rocks and dirt.

Not a paver guy but done a few grading jobs for paver patios. ABC is good for the base, but you need to use around 1" of screenings on top of that to level. Also if you can rent a plate compactor to run over them after they are set will help with small variances. Screenings can be leveled pretty easy with a rake/board and some string if you don't have access to a laser level.

Not a paver guy but done a few grading jobs for paver patios. ABC is good for the base, but you need to use around 1" of screenings on top of that to level. Also if you can rent a plate compactor to run over them after they are set will help with small variances. Screenings can be leveled pretty easy with a rake/board and some string if you don't have access to a laser level.
This is correct.

I have a plate compactor, thats what I've been compacting the base with. I am using concrete sand for bedding sand and plan to use 1" od pvc layed on the base to screed the sand level. I just can't get the base perfect. I have a transit and laser but they aren't helping me physically level the crusher run.

The abc/crusher run will never be perfectly level because of the individual aggregate size. That is what the sand/screening is for to fill and level the gaps

The abc/crusher run will never be perfectly level because of the individual aggregate size. That is what the sand/screening is for to fill and level the gaps
Thats what I was looking for. I thought i was chasing a unicorn trying to get it perfectly level but everything I read and watched said they had leveled the base material before adding the sand/screenings.

Thats what I was looking for. I thought i was chasing a unicorn trying to get it perfectly level but everything I read and watched said they had leveled the base material before adding the sand/screenings.
1/4" off is level for a patio :lol:

Back