need help from jeep owners

southerntaco99

i dont have a sponser so this is the only place i could post but i have a friend in need of sum help from fellow jeep owners. he just bought a 96 4door grand cherokee with 4wd I-6 automatic. friday, the day after he bought it the transmission is slippin and the check engine light is on. if he turns it off for a while and cranks it back up it will go away. he had 3 different diagnostics run on it, all showin totally different codes. the place he bought it from said they did $300 worth of transmission work. im a yota driver so i know very little but from the way that it goes and comes makes us think its a sensor. he will be goin back 2 the dealership tuesday and said he will do whatever it takes 2 get it fixed. but he feels that the ppl there might try 2 burn him claiming that he did it or sumthin. please help me and my friend out with this. and if a mod could move this into tech or appropriate section that would be great.
thanks
SouthernTaco99

If I was him, I'd give it back to them. The better business bureu might need to get involved. If they don't want to fix it, he has a legal right to picket in front of the dealer. If done at the right time of the week, ie saturday, The dealer will probably get it fixed right away. He will need to tell the police dept about it and stay on the city right of way. If it's gonna cost him a grand to fix or the dealer won't make it right I'd do it. It's also something to mention to the service dept if they give him a hard time. Or tell him to get a Toyota! :D

If I'm not mistaken, in NC, you have 7 days to return the vehicle, no questions asked, for a full refund if you are unhappy with it. I'm not absuolutely sure about this, and there may be a mileage restriction, or something of the sort. But it's worth checking on.

he told me he wants 2 keep the jeep he likes it alot... so im not sure what hes gonna do. he just wants 2 know if this is a common transmission problem or is it rare for jeeps??
SouthernTaco99

probably obvious, but did he make sure its full of fluid, the correct fluid at that. A dealer will more than likely use chrysler ATF since Jeep is a Chrysler component. But the tranny in the ZJ, an AW4, uses Mercon/Dexron.

cherokee91red said:
probably obvious, but did he make sure its full of fluid, the correct fluid at that. A dealer will more than likely use chrysler ATF since Jeep is a Chrysler component. But the tranny in the ZJ, an AW4, uses Mercon/Dexron.

AW4 in a Grand?

southerntaco99 said:
he told me he wants 2 keep the jeep he likes it alot... so im not sure what hes gonna do. he just wants 2 know if this is a common transmission problem or is it rare for jeeps??
SouthernTaco99

Unless he got it for nearly nothing, he's a dumbass. Mid-nineties falling apart zj's with transmission problems are a dime a dozen. Tell him to go back and talk to the dealership before it's too late.

yes he got it for quite a good deal, i will tell him 2 check fluid and look in owners manual and see what kind it uses and tell him 2 make sure that its the right kind of fluid. this is his 4th jeep, first was a old 88 2door cherookee, then 2 commanches, not sure years, and now his grand cherokee. thanks again
SouthernTaco99

RyleyXJ said:
The Grands use 42RE transmissions, no match for the mighty AW4 that they use in the XJ's. Don't know what fluid they use though.

Whoops, should do my homework before blurting answers, I was just under the impression the AW4 went behind 4.0's no matter if it was grand or not.

Back