Need Diesel Mechanic for Tuning my VE Pump

up-n-over

I have a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser with the 1HD-T turbo Diesel engine. The 1HD-T engine is fueled by a Bosch VE style injection pump which is the same as is used on the old Dodge Cummins 12 valve engines.

I have modified my truck by installing an oversized intercooler, a larger turbocharger, and a free-flowing exhaust system. I followed the on-line instructions and turned my fuel up a bit, but I am not happy with the results,

Who would y'all suggest that I use to PROPERLY tune my injection pump? Someone in the Charlotte, NC, Gastonia, NC, or Rock Hill, SC area would be great, but I am willing to go outside my local area if I need to.

Any help is appreciated.

I'd do it for you if you were near by. I've got a pretty mean setup in my K30 with a VE pumped 1st Gen 12 valve. :D 56 lbs of boost. Stock head bolts and stock head gasket. I like to party.

Although, I can run you through a few things that you can do. It's all very easy, really. If the pumps are the same, then all of this should work well for you too.

- 3200 rpm governor spring, if you haven't already. It makes it much more drivable.
- Turn the full power screw in while revving and letting it come back down to idle. I run mine just before runaway.
- Advance the timing maybe an 1/8th of a inch, if you want. I did, but keeping it close to stock helps keep the head gasket alive.
- Denny T Stage 1 fuel pin
- While you have the diaphragm out, take out the spring and star wheel (adjuster). Flip the star wheel over, run it all the way to the bottom, and then thread it back UP 4 full rotations. That will allow it to have the most tension possible before the spring will bind. With the addition of the new fuel pin, it will do the best at controlling low rpm/low boost fueling (i.e.- smoke).
- Turn the screw in the top of the diaphragm housing out until it's not touching the nut on the top of the fuel pin.
- Take a 90* with a sanding pad on it and grind down the stop inside the diaphragm cover about an 1/8th to 3/16th of an inch.

All of that has given me a fun to drive 12 valve that has pretty good control of low end smoke even with good sized injectors, great EGTs, and when you lay the hammer down...it hits hard. I've got 7x.011 injectors, the aforementioned pump work, a Hamilton 181/210 cam, and a 62/71/14 turbo. Took me a while to dial it all in and not make everyone in traffic hate me, but it was a fun process and I learned a lot. It will probably take several attempts and minor changes to get it dialed in just right.

Back