Need a 7.3 Powerstroke Guru...

Paul

Dr 'Dre
My sil fired up his tow pig the other day and it runs like crap. Sounds like a fuel knock to me and smokes like hell. Scanned it today and got a po236 code. MAP sensor bad?
Truck is a 1997 F250, 5 speed with 180000 miles on it.
TIA!
'Dre...

Any other codes? Easy thing to check is to unplug the ICP sensor. If it starts running smoother then it'll need replaced. Do you have a way to watch live readings on the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is the ICP sensor located? And no on the live readings.

a655b0bf7a3a9fe4d426d7ee8329f494.jpg

a655b0bf7a3a9fe4d426d7ee8329f494.jpg

If there is oil inside the icp sensor plug it should be replaced. I would check the map sensor vac hose for leaks or blockage. Also when was the last time the oil was changed? Powerstrokes and their oil fired injectors act funny with dirty oil.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the help first off.
Checked the icp plug no oil inside of it but nothing changed by unplugging it still running ruff and smoking.
The oil still has 1500 miles to oil change and oil level is good.

Ok I forgot the vacuum line is clear not stopped up
I also unplugged the map sensor no change there either

After all this a cranked the truck one more time after checking back over everything and smoking has stopped but still running very ruff and engine light still on

Just to add I did do a live test the boost pressure read 19psi not running and it read 19psi running but never changed

And barometer pressure was like 28. something not running and the same running no change

Last edited:
Maybe a bad IPR, check and make sure the tin nut hasn't fallen off. I recommend buying a wireless OBD2 reader on Amazon, they are less than $20. Then you can download a free app and watch live readings. It'll be much easier to diagnose the problem and keep you from wasting $ buying parts you don't need. Some apps even let you do a buzz test which will help you determine if you've got injector issues.

Just checked the ipr the nut is still on it.

Yea the scanner i used, i borrowed from the garage at work it will do way more stuff than I know what to do with

Ok I forgot the vacuum line is clear not stopped up
I also unplugged the map sensor no change there either
A unplugged map usually causes heavy smoke and poor running conditions. If you unpluged it and there is no change, I would suspect it being bad. There is a test where you can check voltage at different pressures using a hand vacuum pump and volt meter. Maybe tap on the map a little. I've made faulty electrical components work by this method. Other areas to check is battery voltage, Exhaust back pressure sensor, boost leaks, etc can all cause those conditions.

A unplugged map usually causes heavy smoke and poor running conditions. If you unpluged it and there is no change, I would suspect it being bad. There is a test where you can check voltage at different pressures using a hand vacuum pump and volt meter. Maybe tap on the map a little. I've made faulty electrical components work by this method. Other areas to check is battery voltage, Exhaust back pressure sensor, boost leaks, etc can all cause those conditions.

Might be onto something tapped on the map sensor while running started doing all kinds of stuff smoking came back started running worse
So might need to order one
Thanks to all that helped

Back