NC Windshield Inspection

So you'll catch flack for a shoulder harness or a clear optional mirror, but not a missing windshield??? Sounds about right with .gov.
The missing window doesn't mess you up like removing a piece of safety equipment.

No windshield is just like riding a motorcycle which is why its ok.

A-pillar was shoved into the windshield opening a good inch or so. A new windshield will not be possible unless the A-pillar is cut out and replaced and would require me to remove sections of the cage as well.

I once saw @91oneton roll his xj on its roof at the flats, then have to roll it the rest of the way to be recovered making an entire roll after sitting on its roof for a while. He did this on a Saturday, brought it in the shop on Sunday, pulled what was left of the windshield and straighten the frame for a glass guy to put a new windshield in on Monday. Its totally fixable. Maybe use a tree saver and a friends winch. Maybe one of these, 4 ton Heavy Duty Portable Hydraulic Equipment Kit

You have to have the drivers side mirror and the rearview mirror the passenger side is actually optional but if its there it needs to be clear.
I thought it read that you had to have 2 mirrors. It didn't matter which 2, think about a box truck. They don't have a rear view but both side mirrors.

You are not required to have a windshield. However, if you have a windshield you're required to have working wipers. Remove the windshield, remove the wipers, pass inspection.
Some what right, but you are required to have wipers. You can only pass or fail . Been a long time discussion with DMV powers and inspectors since NC started doing them , wipers have to work but windshield only fails if it interferes work wipers. Like as a hole that causes wipers to skip and n0t clear.
Fun fact window tint is #1 forgotten about inspection item . #2 wipers #3 tag lights #4 and moving up e-brake

I thought it read that you had
I thought it read that you had to have 2 mirrors. It didn't matter which 2, think about a box truck. They don't have a rear view but both side mirrors.
Since he is driving an SUV I was mostly talking about that situation. But yes a truck is different.

Truck ,van, suv have to have both outside mirrors.
Car has to have driver outside and rear view.

The wording on NC regulations throw folks off , it refers to them as rearview mirrors. Which makes people think the one on windshield n0t passenger and drivers mirrors

I always understood it to mean 2 rearward viewing mirrors. Regardless of position. Though yes, some cars were optional on passenger side.. And definitely any truck can have a useless center mirror (headache rack, painted window, cap, etc)

I always understood it to mean 2 rearward viewing mirrors. Regardless of position. Though yes, some cars were optional on passenger side.. And definitely any truck can have a useless center mirror (headache rack, painted window, cap, etc)
Exactly what i been arguing with State and local license and theft guys for 20 years . Last time we discussed it was told . Was basically cars drivers and windshield, when i said what if it has both door mirrors no windshield mirror it fits the legal wording. Eric copeland explained his words.." if it had it when
made it needs it..
Which i disagree with 100%

He also said they are so many misworded and improperly word laws and bylaws .

Back