NC weighted tag info question

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
I always had a weighted tag on my old Dodge. When I bought my F150 last year, I told the finance guy at the dealership I needed a weighted tag. He argued with me saying I did not need one. He didn’t want to have to redo paperwork I think. I gave up and just got the regular he tag he did the paperwork for. My tag will have to be renewed in April.

I can’t find any info on weighted tag fees on the NCDMV website. I’ve googled it too and can’t find it. I found the NC General Statute 20-63.b that says “The plate issued for vehicles licensed for 7,000 pounds through 26,000 pounds must bear the word "weighted," unless the plate is a special registration plate authorized in G.S. 20-79.4.”

Will I have to go to a plate office to get a weighted tag?

I always had a weighted tag on my old Dodge. When I bought my F150 last year, I told the finance guy at the dealership I needed a weighted tag. He argued with me saying I did not need one. He didn’t want to have to redo paperwork I think. I gave up and just got the regular he tag he did the paperwork for. My tag will have to be renewed in April.

I can’t find any info on weighted tag fees on the NCDMV website. I’ve googled it too and can’t find it. I found the NC General Statute 20-63.b that says “The plate issued for vehicles licensed for 7,000 pounds through 26,000 pounds must bear the word "weighted," unless the plate is a special registration plate authorized in G.S. 20-79.4.”

Will I have to go to a plate office to get a weighted tag?

Is the GVW of the truck and trailer going to exceed 7000 pounds?

End of 2015, when I bought my first new truck [2015], I asked if I could transfer my car tag, since I didn't want a weighted tag. I was told all pick ups now required a weighted tag, even 1/2 ton. So when it arrived in the mail, I was expecting the "Weighted",to be on it. No, just a plain tag. But the registration shows 6000#. Not sure when that started, but they figured out 1/2 tons were no longer 4000#, And I bet it was a New way for More revenue!

Google "NC weighted tag cost" and the very first thread is an NC4x4 thread that precisely and accurately answers your questions.

Some nice guy posted the exact answer to your question about 5 posts in ;)
Weighted Tag Cost

Not sure when that started, but they figured out 1/2 tons were no longer 4000#, And I bet it was a New way for More revenue!

It's always been that way. If you get a GVW less than 7k, you get a first in flight tag.

Bet they gave you a 6000lb tag, honestly unless you tow I'd keep rocking out.

Google "NC weighted tag cost" and the very first thread is an NC4x4 thread that precisely and accurately answers your questions.

Some nice guy posted the exact answer to your question about 5 posts in ;)
Weighted Tag Cost
Thanks, I saw the nc4x4 threads, but they were all two years old or more until you updated your post. Thanks. I guess you still have to go to a plate office to get the weighted tag. I do tow occasionally and hope to get to some rides where I’ll be towing the Jeep.

Thanks, I saw the nc4x4 threads, but they were all two years old or more until you updated your post. Thanks. I guess you still have to go to a plate office to get the weighted tag. I do tow occasionally and hope to get to some rides where I’ll be towing the Jeep.

It would be great to get you back out on a few rides!

Yeah, I noticed the dead link. The state took 2 letters out of the original link :shaking:

How much is the ticket? I’m not getting a weighted tag for my 1/2 ton. I rarely tow. If I get a ticket I’ll just deal with it.

How much is the ticket? I’m not getting a weighted tag for my 1/2 ton. I rarely tow. If I get a ticket I’ll just deal with it.

I towed with a half ton many times with no weighted tag. Technically with the camper I’m probably over my current weighted tag. I really feel like for the most part they aren’t paying any attention to us guys towing for some recreation. It’d really be more of if you got stopped for something else, or was in an accident.

It's in that thread I linked to. Some asshat broke it down pretty detailed.

IDK how much the ticket is but I'd rather pay the tag than deal with the roadside hassle.

I've been pulled leaving ure in Carthage and they (2 troopers riding together in a Tahoe) were going to scale me until he read my registration at 19k, I weigh 18.5k loaded to go wheeling for a weekend. They passed me goung the other way and flipped a u turn. He said it's probably good so nevermind, then blocked traffic for me to pull back out and get up to speed.

3 separate times going to the flats on i40 and once headed to Harlan on 52 I had a trooper come from behind fast, pace me right even with the front of my trailer for 2 or three miles then pull away fast and wave. I assume they were running my tags then and it came back at 19k and they said f it and hauled ass.

IDK how much the ticket is but I'd rather pay the tag than deal with the roadside hassle.

I've been pulled leaving ure in Carthage and they (2 troopers riding together in a Tahoe) were going to scale me until he read my registration at 19k, I weigh 18.5k loaded to go wheeling for a weekend. They passed me goung the other way and flipped a u turn. He said it's probably good so nevermind, then blocked traffic for me to pull back out and get up to speed.

3 separate times going to the flats on i40 and once headed to Harlan on 52 I had a trooper come from behind fast, pace me right even with the front of my trailer for 2 or three miles then pull away fast and wave. I assume they were running my tags then and it came back at 19k and they said f it and hauled ass.

Ditto! Have seen them do it to others and had it happen to me a couple of times...
Back in the day when I was running straight trucks all over the east coast, the overload fine was $10/100#... I could see the under-licensed deal being similar and a severe hit to the pocketbook?

There are MANY states that do not have gestapo like "weighted tag" laws. Many states that do not require a weighted tag for any personal vehicle (aka non commercial) that will not exceed 20-26k gross. And every state has LLCs. and every person that owns a pen and paper can draft lease agreements.

Last edited:
Is there any way to get a weighted tag online or do you have to go in person?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Is there any way to get a weighted tag online or do you have to go in person?

When I tried it, there is no option for a weighted tag online. That’s why I’m just going to get a personalized tag. Based on the statutes I cited in one of the posts above, if you are over 7k, you have to have a weighted tag unless you have a specialized tag or a personalized tag. You can get a specialized or personalized online. Screw going in person to the tag office.

When I tried it, there is no option for a weighted tag online. That’s why I’m just going to get a personalized tag. Based on the statutes I cited in one of the posts above, if you are over 7k, you have to have a weighted tag unless you have a specialized tag or a personalized tag. You can get a specialized or personalized online. Screw going in person to the tag office.
So can you get a personalized weighted tag?

Maybe I'm reading it different, but I interpret it as saying the tag must physically state "weighted" unless it is a special registration plate, but that does NOT exempt the registration from needing to be for the correct weight. As BigClay said, he and others have personalized weighted tags, and I know several fire fighters who have the "Fire Fighter" tag but they have the vehicle registered for the weight they plan to use their truck for. You may want to ask for some clarification.

Duane

Yeah I mean it's not going to hold up with any hp officers or court but it's surely worth a try. That being said, I've got farm tags now but for the price of the tags and the 0 times I've been weighed in over a decade, I should've said fuck it.

Back