NC TITLE QUESTION

jdcarnathan

i have a problem my buddy bought a rig from a guy up in nc, the guy had just got it from another guy and never retitled it, now there is no notary on it, which i can get cause i have one in my family, and its been greater than 45 days so what do you do on that

uhm...is your buddy in NC, cause if not...you should probably be on SC4x4.com lol, just kidding. i dont really have an answer for you other than to check with your (as in SC) local DMV.

I think it is just a small fine for not titling but I am not sure

I think it is a 25-40 dollar fine for not titling within a certain amount of days. If you can get ahold of the owner on the title and get a power of attorny for the vehicle it would make things easier. You can go to the raleigh DMV office and get a title made on the spot for a few bucks more. Good luck

No idea about SC, but NC DMV is VERY picky about titles...I've gone through all kinds of mess dealing with various old vehicles that came from a friend of a friend of an uncle's cousin etc...
If you have a signed title for the vehicle with only one signature on it, that of the titled previous owner, and the date is old, then you're in good shape. Get it notarized, fill in your name & info, and go git r done...there will be a small penalty for the date being over 30 days, but no biggie...
but if you have 2 signatures on the title, or anything messy like that, then the easiest thing to do may be to track down the last titled owner, and offer to pay his fees to have him get a replacement title, which he can then transfer to you...
good luck...

He does have a bill of sale, riiight?

SC does not require a notary on the title, so might not even have to have one.

Back