NC engine swap???

mileshigh

ok now this may very well have been cover before but what is the law in north carolina when it comes to engine swaps. I have been told you can swap an engine as long as it newer than the rig your puting it in. So does that mean i cant do a v-8 swap into my XJ and still pass nc inspection??

You have to be able to have everything work like the original if it is a newer vehicle. If it older don't worry about it. that's my .02

However, according to everything I have read, it has to be a motor type that was available in that vehicle.....I know there are ways around it though.

Andy

I've always thought that the engine had to be something like what was available in that vehicle, just as Andy said.

Also, the motor must incorporate all the emissions for that year the vehicle is registered as, regardless of what the engine came out of. And yeah, I'm sure there are ways around all of that, especially if you know someone...

Rob

Yes, as Rob said...it must incorporate the emissions stuff from the year it is registered as as well. We just had a customer go to the DMV inspector and get an exemption because he did not have the 89 carb motor stuff on his vehicle that currently runs a built 258/4.0L motor setup with 95 YJ FI.

Andy

If you really want to do it right the exemption would be to register the vehicle as
custom. You basically take the serial numbers from the jeep and engine to be swapped. Check into a custom vehicle title. I've been told that NC will be passing a law that will only allow you to swap a 4cyl for a 4 and like so on. Not sure if that's going to happen right away but it was from an inspection station.

I also heard something like that as well.

Also heard that the are gonna crack down on the emissions and require all vehicles that were equiped with cats and emissions to be operational and require a sniff test. Results will be sent to the state office in Raleigh via computer, whatever, and then issued by the state through the inspecting shop. Don't know how true this is or if its already in effect.

Rob

wow I heard from my inspection shop that all pre 1995 vehicles would be a saftey only starting in January 2006. That the only cars that would be Emissions tested would be the ones that they use the plug on. I may have to research this a little better and see what I find.

Jeepnmud74 said:
wow I heard from my inspection shop that all pre 1995 vehicles would be a saftey only starting in January 2006. That the only cars that would be Emissions tested would be the ones that they use the plug on. I may have to research this a little better and see what I find.
that is exactly what i've been hearing; however, here on lejeune, they supposedly will be starting emissions testing next year for all vehicles registering on base. :mad:

zubz said:
However, according to everything I have read, it has to be a motor type that was available in that vehicle.....I know there are ways around it though.

Andy

That all depends on who is inspecting it. Mine has passed inspection all three times and the dude at the inspection station even commented on how nice a Chevy V8 fits and works in a Jeep.

Matt (not much "Jeep" left in my Jeep) Abbott

Jeepnmud74 said:

I have a notice here somewhere, that states any vehicle with a build date 25yrs or older is excempt from emissions testing and 35yrs or older are excempt from safety inspections. I'm at 18 months and counting till I can scrap my sticker off completely! :flipoff2:

BUCKETOBOLTS said:
I have a notice here somewhere, that states any vehicle with a build date 25yrs or older is excempt from emissions testing and 35yrs or older are excempt from safety inspections. I'm at 18 months and counting till I can scrap my sticker off completely! :flipoff2:

Yeap, unless you get a @#$%head inspector that pushes the "visual inspection" down your throat and insists regardless of the sniff, it must still have the "factory emission & safety equipment" in place. In my case, I have 2 of the 4 requisite emission parts... vacuum adv., charcoal canister, EGR, & PCV...

Haven't heard anything about 35 y/o being exempt from saftey inspections though... still 2 years out for the Moss regardless!

Caver Dave said:
Haven't heard anything about 35 y/o being exempt from saftey inspections though... still 2 years out for the Moss regardless!

It's for real.

I believe it was Senate Bill 1083 in the 2004 session that had all the addendumns to the inspection policies. There was also a thread on this board not long ago about the same.

I also heard next year is safety inspection only for non-OBD (pre-96). The only emissions inspection will be a visual check to see if the emission devices are there. No sniffer, and the cost will be $9.50 for non-OBD. I have a feeling it is going to be open-season on swaps. Just be careful which shops you go to.

Well being from California which is the worst state for emisions testing you guys have it made here. I had my J10 on the road for a year with out a completed registration. I had everthing on it I was suppose to for Cali emisions the problem that i have was my truck a built for cali and the 93 chev TBI had "federal emisions" which was stupid becuse they were the same. Cali would not accept it.

When I got here I took it in for inpection and they opened the hood ran the test and failed me.......because my license plate light did not work :) so I put in a light bulb and it was done.
you Gotta love that.

oh And for inpections JIFFY lube Rocks

It is true...sort of, as far as the sniff test on pre96 vehicles.It is not going to be in all counties of North Carolina.There is a list of counties that are doing away with the emission portion of pre 96's. I'll get it and post it here for ya guys.My shop is going inspection, due to we now service Charl-Mech vehicles, including all the police cars.

Here in Johnston County on pre 1996 cars you dont have to have emissions all you have to get is a safety check. Its been that way for a couple of years now.

Just had my '76 CJ-5 inspected. The inspector said they are only requiring emissions tests on '96 and newer vehicles w/OBDII computers. My '76 came w/catalytic converter. He said he knew I didn't have one on my Jeep and he still passed it.

Chaos said:
It is true...sort of, as far as the sniff test on pre96 vehicles.It is not going to be in all counties of North Carolina.There is a list of counties that are doing away with the emission portion of pre 96's. I'll get it and post it here for ya guys.My shop is going inspection, due to we now service Charl-Mech vehicles, including all the police cars.
Any luck on that list of counties?? January 06 is only a few months away.

Ray VanBuren said:
Just had my '76 CJ-5 inspected. The inspector said they are only requiring emissions tests on '96 and newer vehicles w/OBDII computers. My '76 came w/catalytic converter. He said he knew I didn't have one on my Jeep and he still passed it.

My '78 has only required a safety inspection in Wake county for the last 2-years because its more than 25 years old. I bring my factory service manual every time I get inspected, even at Jiffy lube, to save the aggrivation and time to come back to prove it, when I point out the Wags do not come with a Cat from the factory (for my year). They do a visual for emmissions equipment such as the air pump, CAT (if applicable). It should be an interesting ordeal for me next year since I am taking the air pump off and going to fuel injection. I believe I saw there was an exemption of sorts with the DMV so you could be straight up with them instead of swapping parts pre and post inspection. I'll take that to a new thread.

Back