My wife wants a new SUV.. I want a tow rig. Can we both be happy?

The new FSJs also have horrible blind spots that would make towing a nightmare!

Excuse my repost

Well.....U can always break the bank...for the SWEETEST tow rig ever!!! (Yeah, i know....I cant afford it either..:()
0710dp_03_z+2000_chevy_suburban+right_side_view.jpg
0710dp_04_z+2000_chevy_suburban+rear_view.jpg
0710dp_02_z+2000_chevy_suburban+diesel_engine.jpg

We are in the same situation. My wifes liberty has close to 140k miles and she wants a new SUV. What do you think about towing with a FJ Cruiser?

If the brakes are as iffy on the FJ Cruiser as they are on my double cab Tacoma, which I'm sure they are, then that's a big hell no! My Tacoma is rated at 6K, but it has a decent wheelbase to it. Towing with a Cruiser is just as sketchy as towing with a K5.

Plus no weighted tags to worry about.
Nobody mentioned an Excursion, SUV and Diesel for towing, best of both worlds, even if it is a Ferd.

Good luck finding one pus the price tag on tem are as much as they were new almost. It is the best of a towrig I agree but they are expensive.

You could get an H3 Alpha.

It was awarded second place as 4x4 of the Decade and won 4x4 of the year when it came out ('08 I think?).

It tows 6000lbs (may or may not be enough for you), has a V8, performs great offroad, and can be had in the mid to upper $20k's.

You can get them with 4 to 1 tc's, front and rear electronic lockers, 33" tires, leather, upgraded stereo, etc, etc.

We have had two H3's and between them we only had to go to the dealership once (roughly 4 years of ownership)- they gave us a loaner H3 until ours was fixed too. The dealerships actually organize offroad trips for Hummer owners and their customer service has always been up to my standards.

Just thought I would throw it out there.

:beer:

im in the same situation with my wife as she is wanting a Denali. I love the idea as it has a 6.0L engine and 4l80 hd trans, but, it is all wheel drive all the time. Does anyone know anybody who have towed with one of these or if it is a good idea to tow with an all wheel drive Denali? i will be pulling a small trailer with a 88 toyota on 37's.

new car

We have a jeep commander with a Hemi we pull a 8000.00 pound camper with ours. I have a friend with a commander with the 3.7 and he said it tows great he just pulled a boat from Indiana.

Good luck finding one pus the price tag on tem are as much as they were new almost. It is the best of a towrig I agree but they are expensive.
the diesels still command a hefty price in some cases, but that's not all bad. if you buy one, you aquire all the same benefits of them holding their value. even so, they're not priced much higher than diesel super duties of comparable vintage/equipment. what any buyer should be concerned with is how much of a loss he's going to take on any given investment, not so much the initial purchase price. looking at it that way, you can do A LOT worse than an excursion in the used truck/suv market.

if budget/purchase price is the main concern, v10 excursions are an excellent value and dirt cheap considering what you get. 2000+ 4wd limiteds with all the bells and whistles and reasonable miles can be had for less than $10k all day long. way less if you can do without 4wd, the limted package, or don't mind higher miles/cosmetic blemishes. of course, you'll need a good chunk of that money you save for gas, though, lol.

the v8 ones are even cheaper, but i don't know that i would even consider one unless i only towed rarely and it wasn't very heavy. they have a hard enough time just pulling the truck itself around.

:burnout:
2008_GMC_Acadia_ext_1.jpg

3.6 V6
288 hp / 270 tq
Axle ratio 3.16
5,200lb towing capacity

Well I guess since she won that means you win the next one? That's a bummer man, but I can see her line of reasoning... I'd hate to drive my Durango every day with that 5.9 V8 sucking this $3 gasoline!! So it looks like you'll need to find a Samurai to wheel, huh?

I got my wife a fj cruiser and use it it pull my tj around. HAd it loaded down with about 6000 lbs and drove 2 hrs with it with no problems at all. It has plenty of power and stops very well

Back