My First Jeep CJ

Skip the D60 rear and use a 14 bolt FF.

Wow, I was Wondering How I missed you, until i read about all your troubles! Sorry you didn't get connected with us!
The D60,with the 16 spline shafts, might not be any stronger than a 44.
As for my CJ, I ran the AMC20, with 1 piece Moser axles & a Detriot locker, for 25 + years, & 33s. Factory gearing of 3.54. Other than a couple axle bearings & seals, nothing ever done or broke. Same for the original D30, open. After a carrier problem, I had the side gears welded, & ran it another 5-7 years. I went to 44s when I got to where I wanted 35s, which required the 4.56 gears. And with the 35s, I had to Boost up the brakes, & my steering is pushing it's limit!
You know the saying, "for every action, there is another action, & another, & another $$$$ Keep it Simple !

And now for a couple of maintenance items.
The temperature sensor on the dash was not working. Turnout to be a sensor issue, so I swapped it with the one with on the 360.

After installing new shocks, it was noted that one of the 6 bolts that hold on the drivers locking hub was missing. The rest were loose.

View attachment 271814

A little research revealed that these bolts are notorious for coming loose.
Interesting thing about bolts and how they come loose can be found by googling
"Nord-Lock Wedge-Locking Washers - Junker Vibration Test" which is done in accordance with DIN 65151 standard

The video of a Junkers test shows how properly fastened bolts can come loose in ~30 seconds even if nylocks, spring washers, lock washers, double nuts etc are used.
Here is a picture of it works

View attachment 271815 View attachment 271816

I'm going to find 12 of these an try them. For Potts, I will just have to bring a socket and a ratchet to tighten the bolts to check things on the trail

We used these Nord-Lock washers extensively at my previous employer. I can tell you first hand that these things GRIP. They take more torque to break away the fastener than they do while tightening. I know it sounds weird to say, but it's true.

After reviewing the options again for axles, looks like its going to be the Scout Dana 44's.
On 33's, IMHO, Dana 44's should be OK. I am not looking to go way crazy on the trails.

60's are really nice, but I would have to go away from 15 inch wheels (5x5.5) and then purchase new rims and tires for both off road and on road.
At this time... just cannot justify two new sets of wheels and tires.

Anyway, here are my thoughts...
  • SOA
  • New Lift Springs from a YJ or similar
  • Manual Ox lockers in the front and rear (the cable option seems cool)
  • Turning the C's to about 6-7 degrees of caster
  • Replacing the diffs' yokes, Maybe 1330 or 1350?
  • Disk brakes in the back
  • Possibly adding trusses to the axles.
  • Possibly adding chromoly axles
  • Possibly making it high steer

Hopefully, more will be known when we take apart the 44's
If anyone has a some extra 44 parts laying around, please send me a note.

Last edited:
Work on the CJ has been slow.
I am guilty of letting my professional obligations interfere with my off-road activities...

Anyway, I wanted to figure out how the bad the front axle was.
The passenger side axle is broken.
The drivers side was the only drive working, but it was making load clanking noises (i.e., a one wheel drive CJ).

The front axle had stayed together long enough to make it on and off the trailer and had enough to make it into the garage.
Well, time to test it to failure. A short trip around the back yard, and the wheel assembly fell off.
A tractor is great tool to use to lift up the front of a broke CJ and put it back into the garage.

CJ and Tractor M.jpg

Once in the garage, a quick disassembly revealed the truth.

Front Axle.jpg CJ Spindle.jpg

Again, we were really luck to make it out.

Jason helped take apart the front axle of the Scout.
It was discovered that the knuckles have an 8 stud pattern and Scout of course those knuckles do not have a flat top for high steer.
Also, the brake caliper bracket is 8 stud pattern

Since one of the goals was to have a high steer system, time to go looking for parts.
Shopping around this site revealed a set of TRE flat top 6 stud knuckles at a great deal (Thx Will)

TRE Knuckles.jpg

Well... now to figure out the braking system.
Picked up a parts Dana 44 from a 1980 Chief Cherokee from NC-V (Thx NC-V)
NC-V helped me take apart the Dana 44 and stuff it to the back of the Mustang (long story...)

Now for the plan (as with most plans, there will be change). I hope to use to following:
  • The 6 stud TRE High Steer system
  • The 6 stud disc brake adapter from the Chief Cherokee.
  • New 5x5.5 brake rotors that are for a Scout II
  • Rebuilt Calipers from a Chief Cherokee
  • The spindle from the CJ
  • The 5x5.5 outer hub assembly from the Scout
  • The Warn 6 bolt locking hubs from the Scout.
  • New wheel bearings and seals.
Thoughts?

Also, here is a picture of spindles.

Spindles.jpg

From left to right, Chief Spindles, CJ Spindles, Scout Spindles (8 stud).
The Chief and CJ spindles will fit onto the TRE knuckles. The Chief spindles are longer and designed for a different locking hub assembly.

Also, the CJ rotor is thinner than the Chief rotor as shown below:

Chief and CJ Rotors.jpg

The Chief stuff is on the left and the CJ stuff is on the right.

I am sure there are other ways to do this. I'm trying to use what I have and save $ where I can.

Last edited:
I'm a little lost on all your doing, & little knowledge of what fits what,>Jeep/Ford/Chevy/Dodge.
I might have already said, but I'm running a cut down Wagoneer front [44], with the CJ D 30 outers, as to keep the 5 lug pattern.

Here is the front wheel assembly built up using the TRE knuckles and then the old parts as detailed above.

Assembly Front.jpg Assembly Rear.jpg

Now its time to order some more parts (new rotors, calipers, bearings, etc) and clean up some of the old parts that will be used (brake bracket, wheel hubs, etc.)

Well been cleaning up some front outer axle pieces.

IMG_2143.JPG
Looks like the Chief Cherokee brake rotors and calipers, along with the TRE knuckles, high steer, Scout Hubs, and CJ spindles will all play well together.

Looking into why the front wheel came off.

After review, the stock wheel studs on the CJ front axle allowed for only four threads to engage. The rear allowed for nine threads to engage.

Below a pictures of the front and what the wheel studs s looked like.

Front Wheel studs.jpg Rear Wheel studs.jpg

To solve the problem in the front, the Dana 44's will need longer wheel studs than the stock ones that came on the Scout, which is shown below:

Stock Wheel Stud M1.jpg

The trick is finding one where the kurl is in the correct spot and has a flange part next to the head for the wheel stud. The flange is for the rotor to sit.

Search around on the Dorman website revealed the following data:

Wheel Stud Part Numbers 1.jpg

The parts store up the road four of the part number 98245.1

Front Wheel Humb & Rotor.jpg

The picture above shows the old wheel stud and some of the new ones.
One concern was the distance from the short length as it was going to be protruding past the hub as shown below:

Side wheel stud.jpg

The part that is sticking above the wheel stud is a good thing (IMHO) as that part easily goes into the holes in the wheel.

Here is what the back of the wheel looks like with the hub, front caliper, and the rotor. Everything fits well.

wheel rotor caliper.jpg

The new wheel studs from the front side is shown below:

FW1.jpg

All was good except the locking hub does not fit with the chrome wheel accent piece in the center.

Here is the finish assembly

FW2.jpg

Before, there was 4 only for threads holding on the front wheel per wheel stud
Now there are 14 threads per wheel stud holding on the front tire.
Hopefully, no more tires coming off when wheeling...

Remove the old rear axle today.
Those old springs were really worn out...

Old Axle.jpg

An ATV jack works well in this situation.

From what I have been told, one must use Rubicon Express (RE) bushings on the RE SOA leaf springs.
Since the old springs had new bushings that were installed a couple of months back, why not reuse them?

I pressed the bushings out of the old springs.

Old Bushings.jpg

Looks like they would work... not sure though.

Old Bushing out.jpg

Any ideas?
Or do I have to order the $$ from RE?

Parts are starting to come in...

One of the items on the list for the Dana 20 xfer case was the dual shifters.

Dual Shifter.jpg

Started to install them. One item I will need a floorboard cover that fits both the gear box and the xfer case.
Anyone have an extra one three hole cover like the one shown below.

Shifter Boot.jpg
The old two hole one is in good condition if someone needs one.

Parts are starting to come in...

One of the items on the list for the Dana 20 xfer case was the dual shifters.

View attachment 275518

Started to install them. One item I will need a floorboard cover that fits both the gear box and the xfer case.
Anyone have an extra one three hole cover like the one shown below.

View attachment 275519
The old two hole one is in good condition if someone needs one.
The one I installed, [ Don Custer Special!] fit the same hole. I Did buy a 2-hole boot, & maybe slightly trimmed 1 side of the hold down ring, but it all fit the Factory hole just fine! Btw, I used the rounded boot, like in your kit.

Finally had some time to remove the old front axle.

Old Out 1.jpg Old Out 2.jpg Old Out 3.jpg

After crossing the creek, the driver's axle was the only one that was applying power (i.e., one-wheel-drive), and it was not good shape as shown in the pictures above.

Bolted the rear axle to the springs.

Rear Pre Weld.jpg

Hoping to get the pinion angle set correct, then tack everything into place.
Then take everything apart and a friend is going to help with the welding.

If you get j10 axles the rear will have a offset rear differential. It might work with the t18, I have one that P.O said it was geared 4:10 it’s for sale if you want it. It is a Dana 44

Made so progress today.
Andrew stopped by and offered his assistance. Thx!
The rear spring perches have been welded onto the rear axle

Setting Perches.jpg

and the rear tubes have been pumpkin.

Welded Tubes.jpg

Took the rear diff to Jason's.
He installed the OX locker and the new bearings into the rear Dana 44.

OX Installed 1.jpg OX Installed 2.jpg

Hope this 515 stuff works well to prevent leaks.

OX Installed 3.jpg

Hope to get the rear axle under the CJ this weekend.

The axle's spring perches have 3 sets of holes to mate up with the springs.
Was thinking of using the middle perches for both the front and the rear.

Heard it can be advantageous to move the rear axle towards the back of the Jeep.
Thoughts on moving the rear axle ~3/4" towards the back of the CJ using the one of the other two sets of holes on the spring perches?

When my axles were installed, we went 1/2" forward on the front & 1/2" reward on the rear. That was the amount of hole offset we had. I knew I was going with 35" tires too, & needed all I could get. I don't for see any problem moving the rear back 3/4". The more you move the front out, the more you might have problems with the pitman arm.

The axle's spring perches have 3 sets of holes to mate up with the springs.
Was thinking of using the middle perches for both the front and the rear.

Heard it can be advantageous to move the rear axle towards the back of the Jeep.
Thoughts on moving the rear axle ~3/4" towards the back of the CJ using the one of the other two sets of holes on the spring perches?

I ran YJ springs on my Samurai, and had 1" offset holes in the spring perches. I moved the front axle forward, and the rear axle rearward.

With the over stock Shackle you are going to run the small change in Axle placement will aid slightly in re-centering the wheel in the wheel well. Both are minimal changes and hard pressed to make huge visual impacts. Just like the gained 1.5 inches of wheel base....nothing dramatic.

Back