Moving from Vegas...

Your only problem is full hydro steering. NC specifically states that is illegal I believe.

From NC Inspection Book:
19A NCAC 03D .0535 STEERING MECHANISM
(a) The inspection mechanic must raise vehicle to get beneath to check steering mechanism.
(b) The steering mechanism shall not be approved if:
(1) With front wheels in straight ahead position there is more than three inches of free play in steering wheels up to 18 inches in diameter or more than four inches of free play in steering wheels over 18 inches in diameter. If vehicle is equipped with power steering, the engine must be operating.
(2) Either front or rear springs are noticeably sagging or broken.
(3) The front wheels or front end assembly is bent or twisted or bolts, nuts or rivets are loose or missing. (4) Power steering system shows visible leaks or the power steering belt is loose or worn.
https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/...d emissions inspection regulations manual.pdf

Your only problem is full hydro steering. NC specifically states that is illegal I believe.

I think full hydro is illegal everywhere. I know in Nevada it says you have to have a "mechanical" link between the steering wheel and the wheels so full hydro is out. They say it won't steer if the engine dies but mine does pretty good. I imagine if I lost a king it would be a different story. That's the main reason I trailer it if I have to drive more than a few miles to get to the trail.

Nowhere does it specifically state that hydro is illegal. The only thing I've seen is it says "a vehicle's steering must be safe". You could argue that hydro isn't safe as it does not have a mechanical link but the statement is very subjective so it could go either way. I have passed with full hydro and drove with hydro and beadlocks on the street for a year and never got a second look. Most people unless involved in the sport aren't even going to know what they are looking at.

I know most inspectors don't give a crap about it, heck I get both mine inspected at the same time and the tires never leave the ground but, I have seen them failed for it. Just giving fair warning and trying to help.

I do hope to see that beast on the trails though. Helluva zj!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Nowhere does it specifically state that hydro is illegal. The only thing I've seen is it says "a vehicle's steering must be safe". You could argue that hydro isn't safe as it does not have a mechanical link but the statement is very subjective so it could go either way. I have passed with full hydro and drove with hydro and beadlocks on the street for a year and never got a second look. Most people unless involved in the sport aren't even going to know what they are looking at.

True. After all brakes are full hydro and they are "safe" no one bats an eye. I know parking brakes have to be mechanical. I don't have one due to the 14 bolt. Iv seen a brake setup on the transfer case output but never really looking into it. Maybe I'll keep Nevada plates on it. I kinda like the classic rod plates it has. Lol

I know most inspectors don't give a crap about it, heck I get both mine inspected at the same time and the tires never leave the ground but, I have seen them failed for it. Just giving fair warning and trying to help.

I do hope to see that beast on the trails though. Helluva zj!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'll probably end up being an inspector due to working at a car dealership. I come out next week to talk to a couple and see what'll work.

"If vehicle is equipped with power steering, the engine must be operating. "

So as long as it doesn't have more than 3" of slack at the wheel, it ought to pass.

Furthermore, what would you say about steer by wire? No mechanical connection there either.

I don't know if you could get away with keeping Nevada plates unless you were military. Otherwise, I believe you have 30 days to change you driver's license and license plate over to NC stuff.

I don't know if you could get away with keeping Nevada plates unless you were military. Otherwise, I believe you have 30 days to change you driver's license and license plate over to NC stuff.

If Nevada has laws allowing non-residents to register cars, he could. NC allows dual-citizenship with other states, so he could also keep his NV licence.

True. After all brakes are full hydro and they are "safe" no one bats an eye. I know parking brakes have to be mechanical. I don't have one due to the 14 bolt. Iv seen a brake setup on the transfer case output but never really looking into it. Maybe I'll keep Nevada plates on it. I kinda like the classic rod plates it has. Lol

I also have never had a parking brake on any of the 3 rigs I've had lol. The t case brakes work great but are generally pretty spendy. I just hook a tire on a tree if I have to stop on a hill..

We have talked to each other on IG, I had the black ZJ on 42's (hairy_and_scary). There is stuff to do here with it. I haven't wheeled the shop but the flats are fun. All the other parks mentioned as well, then there is gulches down here in SC and a few others.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

We have talked to each other on IG, I had the black ZJ on 42's (hairy_and_scary). There is stuff to do here with it. I haven't wheeled the shop but the flats are fun. All the other parks mentioned as well, then there is gulches down here in SC and a few others.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

What's up man. Jeep is coming. I can't justify getting rid of it for the money I have in it and what people want to pay. We'll have to meet up once I get settled.

When ever any of the CTB members want to ride the shop I know myself and other Rock Corps members would like see you guys on our trails soon.
I'm not sure my Jeep has much business out there but I'd be down come fall, have some minor things need doing on the Jeep first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back