Moutain camping Suggestions!

jds97Wrangler

We bought our first camper this year and have decided we want to use our week vacation camping in the mountains. Sorry to the beach folks but no interest in the beaches. My wife was born and raised just outside Myrtle so she has no interest in going back.

We camp at URE at least once a month, so we are looking for something different and a place that has some great family activities. Our children are 8 and 11. We would like to keep it with in 3-4 hours of Greensboro. We will be bringing the Jeep with us but the campgrounds don't necessarily have to be near OHV trails.

One of the areas we are interested in is Pigeon Forge, TN. Looking for any all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Rutledge Lake in Asheville, NC. Google it. Very quiet place. Everybody is friendly (common with campgrounds). They have a lake to fish in, field to throw a ball, plenty of rocks to bring your RC crawler. Full hookups.

IF you are looking for mainly stuff to keep the kids busy I have heard, but not yet used, KOA camp grounds off just that. There is one in the Black Mnt area

You mentioned Pigeon Forge as a possible destination. There are several campgrounds right along the Hwy 441 (main road through Pigeon Forge), but most of those are closely packed gravel/paved/concrete spaces. If that is what you want, there is a good one at the Gatlinburg end of Pigeon Forge, I think it is called River Park, I know it is River - something.
If you want a little more green and trees in the campground, you might want to look in the Townsend, TN area. There are quite a few. You can be in Cades Cove, Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge in just a few miles.
Just noticed that the original post was last spring. I hope you had a great time this past summer.

Spent 5 days at Claytor Lake in VA this year .... very nice!
Maybe not quite far enuff into the mountains tho'.

Matt

You mentioned Pigeon Forge as a possible destination. There are several campgrounds right along the Hwy 441 (main road through Pigeon Forge), but most of those are closely packed gravel/paved/concrete spaces. If that is what you want, there is a good one at the Gatlinburg end of Pigeon Forge, I think it is called River Park, I know it is River - something.
If you want a little more green and trees in the campground, you might want to look in the Townsend, TN area. There are quite a few. You can be in Cades Cove, Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge in just a few miles.
Just noticed that the original post was last spring. I hope you had a great time this past summer.
If your talking about the campground just before the parkway on the left going toward Gatlinburg it's called Riveredge RV http://www.stayriveredge.com/index-1.html. It sucks!!!! Unless your a tree hugging yuppie w/ a $300k diesel pusher that doesn't like to even put out the automatic awning. Needless to say I won't be back.
I would like to find a good nice family oriented campground that's big enough to justify hauling my golf cart up there.

Our fav is Rock Creek in Erwin TN.

Riveredge, that's it. I wasn't very impressed with it either compared to our usual camping. We stayed with some friends there a couple of years ago during a car show. It served it's purpose, a place to park the camper and close to the main road. We actually had a riverside spot. It was a very busy campground, but everything around there is busy during the Rod Run. There is also a KOA right off the main drag, behind the Old Mill area IIRC. It's kind of the same way--very close spaces and not much green.

This past summer while we were in the area, we drove through some of the campgrounds in the Townsend area. Much more like real camping. The KOA seemed like a nice place, but was pricey for a campground. We also checked out Elkmont. It is in The Great Smoky Mountains NP between G-burg and Cades Cove. Nice place, but no hookups. They don't even have a dump station at the campground, you have to go a few miles down the road to the visitor's center for that.

Davidson River Campground is where we usually go locally. It is in the Pisgah NF. There a few spots with electric (good luck getting one of these on summer or early fall weekend). In the off season, some of the campground "host" spaces are available, which have full hookups.

Realizing this is one of Yager's moved posts... but for others with similar interests:
Roan Mtn State Park, actually in TN just over the line from Bakersville, was great during our many stays there with the boys - particularly during the Rhodo Festival.
Closer, and a hit with kids in the hot summer, is Davidson River Campground, one of the biggest attractions nearby being Sliding Rock to cool off.
There are campgrounds around nearly every corner in the mountains, so pick the attractions and they'll list campgrounds in the area.

Davidson River campground in Brevard NC

New River campground in Independence, VA. Beautiful, an hour or so away and plenty for the kids. But TN sounds a little better to me honestly lol. I'm a sucker for any excuse to go to TN!

Cataloochee camp ground if you absolutely want to get away from everything! You would be in the GSMNP and free range elk within a mile (if not in the campground) everyday. Wild trout stream with good, cold, clean mountain water and several dirt roads to take a nice ride on. And and abundance of history. I at least suggest you google cataloochee valley if you have never heard of it.

I assume 441 will still be closed this summer due to landslide during recent rains but smokemont (sp) is a good choice too. It is just outside of Cherokee on Hwy 441.

Chris

Geez, sorry! I just realized this thread is 2 years old! Haha, it came up as a recent thread on the tapatalk app so I just responded without looking at the OP date.

I'm looking for a camping area for me and a couple buddies, up in the mountains where its cool. We don't want to be near anyone because we will probably get drunk and be obnoxious. Also we want to drive there. Near a lake or river would be sweet.

So...needs:

1. Mountains where it's cool
2. Car accessible
3. Campsites far enough apart not to bother neighbors w drunken antics
4. Near water

Which of these suggestions from this thread meet these criteria? Thanks guys!

Back