Motobilt Fuel Cell Install TJ

Chris_Keziah

Joe Dirt @ Rev Limit Fab
When doing this install the info seemed a little dated and it was all for the older TJ's(97-02). Hopefully this can help others do the install. 05-06 will need some other fuel fittings and line since they have a return line going to the tank according to Motobilt. The -8 AN port on the tank is used for the return on these years. All of this info will apply for 03-04 TJ's but will be very similar to the 97-02 with the exception of the EVAP stuff.

Materials:
QTY: 1 RUS-640853 (Fuel Line Fitting)(Should be the Pump side)
QTY: 1 RUS-640863 (Fuel Line Fitting)(Should be the Jeep Side)
QTY: 2 SUM-220690B (-6 AN Fitting)
QTY: 1 SUM-220840B (-8 AN Cap)(05-06 will not need this as the extra port is for the return line)
QTY: 1 SUM-230606 (-6 AN Fuel Line)(This is 6 Ft of line but I only used about 3 Ft)
QTY: 1 Motobilt Fuel Cell kit (Duh:cool:)
QTY: 1 Type 2 Fuel Resistant Sealant (Available at pretty much all parts stores)
6-10 Ft of hose for Rollover vent (I need to double check the size of these hose, thinking it was 3/8")
6 Ft of hose for the large EVAP line (I need to double check the size of these hose, thinking it was 5/16")
6 Ft of Hose for the small EVAP line (I need to double check the size of these hose, thinking it was 3/8")
Few feet of Red and Black 16 AWG Wire (fuel pump power/ground) and two other color 18 AWG (Fuel sending unit)

For Fuel cell mounting I used some 1/8" flat bar with nut-serts (5/16" or 3/8" will work, mount is drill for 3/8"). I welded the flat bar to the floor, you can just bolt it to the floor but I wanted to add some structure to the tub since we cut out so much for the back half kit.

2.jpg

Fuel resistant sealant I used.
20181220_210619.jpg

I don't have any pics of the fuel pump install but I put the fuel float facing toward the passenger side of the jeep and turned the pump outlet on top toward the drivers side some. Just make sure you extend the Jeep side of the Fuel pump harness in case you ever have to change the pump, we did 3 Ft of extension but only needed to do about 2 Ft. The Fuel line and pump wiring I routed through the floor drain on the drivers side behind the stock seat. Also DO NOT use the gasket for the filler that Motobilt sends you, @Joe J. did and it ended up degrading and he had to go back and use the sealant for it.

20190102_121921.jpg

The YELLOW connection going to the Tank Rollover valve/vent. Also note the two hose connections capped by the YELLOW one, they went to the stock rollover valves/vent. The two RED go to the factory EVAP hose connections by the fuel line. I cut the factory connectors off and used a barb to retain the connectors (I'll post some pics later) The BLUE connection originally went into the Charcoal canister, I just deleted it and went straight into the valve. I cut up the factory mount for the Charcoal canister and added some nut-serts and bolted it to the tub from the inside. I will probably go back and make a shield for all of these just to keep it a little protected from flying debris. It's fairly well tucked up into the corner of the tub though. Plenty of clearance from on 35's with stock width TJ axles and spacers.
InkedVideoCapture_20190101-195058_LI.jpg

This was a pretty breezy install, still no feedback on if the Jeep is going to like the EVAP changes but we'll see with time. I will also not the fuel cell has to be centered to clear the back seat. I also doubt you will be able to fit any other seat, I have a Beard seat I was going to use but it was gonna have to be pushed to far forward to clear the cell. Also note you may have to clearance the latch cover for the tailgate, I did a drop down tailgate conversion so didn't have to worry about it as I just tossed it all.

Last edited:
Cool little tech article. I've often wondered about a street Jeep with a cell being a "pinto" on a bad day.

The stock rear location was never extremely stout.

Trail use and the proper mounting and roll over valves are a must.

Cool little tech article. I've often wondered about a street Jeep with a cell being a "pinto" on a bad day.

The stock rear location was never extremely stout.

Trail use and the proper mounting and roll over valves are a must.
I bet that rear bumper, is stouter than the Ford trailer hitch they sold to protect the Ford rear tanks! :laughing:

I know this is a older thread but I was going down the parts list and the 2 Russle fittings listed are both female. one is 5/16 and one is 3/8. I'm I know the jeep side needs to me male to go to the existing line and female on the pump side. What is the correct size?

I know this is a older thread but I was going down the parts list and the 2 Russle fittings listed are both female. one is 5/16 and one is 3/8. I'm I know the jeep side needs to me male to go to the existing line and female on the pump side. What is the correct size?
They should both be female fittings, the line you make goes from the hardline at the frame to the pump. One side is 5/16" (jeep hard line) and the other is 3/8" (pump output). You're essentially replacing the factory soft line that runs from the hardline on the frame to the tank.

Back