Motobilt 13 bolt shave cover review?

Van-go

Not an old man
I just ordered the 13 bolt cover and Dana 60 cover from motobilt.
They are running a 10% off and free shipping sale right now till the 18th.
It was under $200 for both shipped.

Does anyone have any experience with them?
I know most people prefer barnes on these items, but they were $352 for the 2 covers shipped.

Anyone ever had any issues with the motobilt?

Seen some of Motobilt’s stuff but not what you are asking about though. From what I’ve seen their stuff is well engineered and well built. I’d expect a good product but let us know what you think.

Seen some of Motobilt’s stuff but not what you are asking about though. From what I’ve seen their stuff is well engineered and well built. I’d expect a good product but let us know what you think.

So I got the covers in early this week but I’ve been out of town.

They are both beefy but have a pretty big issue.

They do not machine the surface that mounts to the axle face, so they are pretty warped from the welding.

If I tighten one side of the diff cover down there is about a 1/8th inch gap on the other side... this is on both covers.

The mounting surface is simply not flat.
I’m sure they will work with me on this. I will call them tomorrow.

I guess you can use the $150 you saved to buy gear oil every day. :flipoff2:
Haha that’s what I get for trying to save a buck. I wonder how much a shop would charge to machine it flat

They do not machine the surface that mounts to the axle face, so they are pretty warped from the welding.

If I tighten one side of the diff cover down there is about a 1/8th inch gap on the other side... this is on both covers.

If they eff you over on this I suggest going to an engine machine shop. They should have a giant belt sander. I took one of mine there after I bought a DIY diff cover from BTF. I welded mine with way too much heat and warped it like yours. Good luck!

I bought one from Ruffstuff a while back. They machine theirs flat, but there was a lead in/lead out tit on the outer perimeter. Most people would never have noticed, but I ran a flame cut table for two years straight and that's what I had to grind off of the parts all day every day.

I also still have a $100 gift certificate that I won to MotoBilt during the Christmas giveaways, but they don't really have anything that I need. It kinda sucks!

I’d definitely let them know about their shit work.

I just ordered the 13 bolt cover and Dana 60 cover from motobilt.
They are running a 10% off and free shipping sale right now till the 18th.
It was under $200 for both shipped.

Does anyone have any experience with them?
I know most people prefer barnes on these items, but they were $352 for the 2 covers shipped.

Anyone ever had any issues with the motobilt?
Did Moto built ever say anything back?

I recently purchased your 13 Bolt shave cover and your Dana 60 cover.
They are pretty beefy, but I have an issue with both of them.
They are not flat and are warped due to the heat from welding.
If I put a couple bolts in the right side, the left side raises up about 1/8 inch.

Most companies machine the covers flat, but I didn’t notice any machining on these.
Is this something that can be fixed?
Have you had anyone else with this issue?
What do you think I should do?

Thanks,
David

“Pull the bolts down evenly on both sides and not just one side. Using silicone as a gasket it will seal no problem what so ever”
-motobilt

“Also, just as a reference, I’ve never had one that leaked when you do it this way.”
-motobilt

I tried that and I had to tighten it pretty hard to get it to pull down. They are pretty stout and don’t want to bend much. I am worried that it will strip out the housing.
I don’t think that the diff cover mounting surface should be warped. I’ve never seen a cover like that except for the ones people throw together themselves.
Are all of Motobilt’s covers like this?
-me

That’s what I’ve said so far... haven’t heard anything back.

60D68304-9B7A-4401-A7D5-BD945BE3B7AB.jpeg
3A5C88D9-F7AC-4698-AA6D-5DA144FA7183.jpeg
8D3ECD55-0777-487B-A6D4-45C6E17F6A04.jpeg

This is all disappointing. I thought these people did better work than that.

Dude your going to hate your life RTVing that shut. An engine shop can have that flat in half an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does pull in when you tighten it down all the way around, but you really have to wrench on it to get it down. I’ll probably get it machined if I can get it done cheap. If not, I’ll try to return it and go with Barnes...

Me personally took his response as he didn’t care about the quality of Motobilt’s products. I’d pack that shit back up and demand a full refund.
That’s how I felt too. We’ll see what happens this week.

Just a thought. If you do have these covers machined, might want other side spot faced at holes to keep both sides parallel.

Me personally took his response as he didn’t care about the quality of Motobilt’s products. I’d pack that shit back up and demand a full refund.

I concur. If they won't make it right, I'd have a hard time representing their brand.

Send that shit back and buy a Barnes or Ruffstuff cover. Both machine there's flat.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

@Barnes 4wd foe the win! Quality, local stuff.

I would also return it. You shouldn't have to tighten it down that way. For what you paid it should sit flat as a pancake so you don't risk stripping a hole. Imagine if you have to do a trail repair and it wont seal right because a hole is stripped and you don't have time to wait for globs and globs of RTV to set up.

Back