Mopar vs. Howell Fuel Injection Kit

jcfields1030

I have a 89 YJ, pretty much stock except a 3 inch body lift with 33's. Something is always wrong with the carburetor so I've decided to upgrade to a FI. I've done research for awhile on Weber's 34, 32/36 and I just would rather avoid them all together. It seems FI is the way I want to go and which ever kits I choose, they all have great reviews. I just have to decide which one would help out my stock engine the most. Here is what I've found. Let me know what yall think about these and the pros and cons.

Howell Fuel Injection Conversion Vs. the Mopar MPI Fuel Injection.

My engine is 4.2L i6 and completely stock as of now.

There is almost a $1000 difference but all I can find is that the Mopar has a more advanced computer system, fuel and spark control, offers more control/drivability. That sounds nice but will it make a huge difference? This is my daily driver so if it did make a huge difference, I would fork out the cash.

Thanks for the help guys!

My brother and I installed the mopar kit on his 83 (or 84) cj7. Night and day, the power is great. stock 3.07s and 31's could keep up with a 97tj on 35's and 4.88's off the line, its a blast to drive. Install wasnt very difficult.

and you dont have to keep your foot on the gas to keep it idling at red lights.

It sounds like you are going thru the same research process I did many years ago. Initially I was going to slap a Weber on my rebuilt 258, then was turned on the Howell TBI kit. When I first saw the Mopar kit, I was thinking there is no way I would pay that much more for it instead of the Howell. I did a lot of investigating, and finally swayed towards teh Mopar. It was a long time ago, I can't remeber the specifics, but I seem to remember I would have needed to buy a few more components with the Howell that was going to close up the price gap. With the Mopar kit, everything was included, except the damper. I have no experience with the Howell, but was very happy with the choice I made. Driveability and power were not an issue. I did have to add an extra throttle return spring, it was pretty twitchy in 1st gear HIGH-range, and impossible to manage the throttle in Low-range.

I heard that Mopar recommends not putting their FI on an older motor, anyone hear the same? They say it puts strain on the engine but it got me thinking... what stock 89 wrangler would have a new motor lol. Any tips to determine if my motor can handle the "extra strain"? It runs fine and has never given me any trouble (knock on wood).

never heard that. I just heard they recommended 92 octane, maybe they were worried abouta n older motor not having enough compression. I started with 92 for the first few tanks/months, no pinging on the rebuilt/MPI'd motor, so I dropped to 89. No problems there, I went to standard 87 octane and rocked on for years.

Thanks Renegade, I take like to think I take good care of my engine. Change the oil, use 93 octane and never get on it too hard but I have no idea how the kid before me drove it. I bought it 5 years ago and the engine has never given me any trouble so I'm going to go ahead and fork out the money and get the Mopar. I have yet to find ANYTHING bad about it and I feel I've done a lot of research. I'm excited because the kit will cost more than I spent on the jeep! My friend just totaled his jeep and hes selling his bumper, winch and snorkel so thats going to take the money for this but I plan to do it this summer. Thanks again Renegade!

Back