mobile home trailer axle

Brownsxj

I bought a hudson trailer with mobile home axles. I have a bearing that is completely gone. I went to the closest tractor supply but no luck. Tomorrow when NAPA opens Im going to try my luck with them.
Does anyone have a good line on where I can get mobile home axle parts because the brakes on it seem pretty bad too? Towing with a 1/2 ton silverado I need all the help I can get.
Thanks in advance
_Robb

Bearing should be a standard size, that NAPA will have. If not check Yellow Pages for mobile home parts. There is " Red Neck Trailer Supply" in Lincolnton. Good Luck.

Call Hudson Bros direct....I have found they have incredible p[rices when it coms to their old trailers.

hudson

For future reference for people with Hudson Trailers, calling Hudson is the way to go. They are very friendly and have very good prices on parts. I was really surprised how easy it was to deal with.

::beer::

I've hearrd excellent things about them refreshing trailers (new springs, deck, paint)if the time ever comes.

I got mine from the local bearing house. Keep in mind just because they are the demountable rims doesn't mean they are mh axles.

It's a standard bearing. If they don't have it just pull both the inner and the outer and take them to a bearing supplier.

For what it's worth, hudson doesn't use "mobile home axles". They're older type servicable dexter axles and use the same bearings as most other standard 7K lb trailer axles. Should be easy for any non-dumbass napa employee to figure out, just in case you're across the country somewhere and need a set. Hudson direct is about as cheap as anywhere though for the brakes and bearings though so you didn't go wrong ordering from them. Brakes might just need adjusting though? Or being it's a used trailer, there's a 95% chance there is a bad ground and cut/frayed/loose wire or group of wires somewhere underneath.

I figured that "mobile home" was just kinda the throw around term used for these axles just because of similar parts. You say to someone "mobile home axles" and they know what tire, rim, etc that you have.
I figured getting the parts from hudson would be best since they made the trailer. No trying to cross-reference numbers and getting home to be pissed and have to go back a hundred times. Anyways, the parts came in and i had ordered spares in case of emergency since we have a couple of us running the same trailer on wheelin weekends.

I figured that "mobile home" was just kinda the throw around term used for these axles just because of similar parts. You say to someone "mobile home axles" and they know what tire, rim, etc that you have.
I figured getting the parts from hudson would be best since they made the trailer. No trying to cross-reference numbers and getting home to be pissed and have to go back a hundred times. Anyways, the parts came in and i had ordered spares in case of emergency since we have a couple of us running the same trailer on wheelin weekends.

The spares is a great idea. When I replaced my bearings I kept the old ones as spares. There wasn't any play in them, I just wanted the piece of mind.

You're right about the tire rim combo, and getting to be a universal type name. Technically the are called a "demountable". They are still in the Dexter lineup. MH axles are different than others. The backing plates are usually welded on and the axle itself is a pipe that is adjustable with a sleeve. If these aren't welded right the bow that is supposed to be in the axle isn't there and it will track funny. Also MH axles typically have only one leaf spring versus a pack. I know this because I researched it heavily with my trailer.

I also carry 2 spare tires as they are not stocked everywhere and since most parks are off the beaten path I didn't want to take chances. The local MH sales place sells me tires with rims for $35 each. They let em search through them for good ones and ones that don't say "For Mobile Home Use Only" Usually about 25% are normal use tires.

The only thing that is really a pain is mounting the rim on the trailer. It is easy to get it off center and the tire won't travel straight. It'll have a little wobble. That'll wear a tire out fast. I had this problem and wore all the tread off a tire on the way to Harlan a couple weeks ago. I put a spare on at the campgroud for the ride home. I check it several time with the weight off spinning the tire once it's all torqued down to make sure it doesn't wobble. You have to loosen some bolts then tighten others to adjust this. Maybe someday I'll go to conventional tires and rims.

FWIW here are the dexter backing plates they are a 12x2 brake.

http://dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/1525

http://dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/1524

Here is the drum kit with part numbers.

http://dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/6796

Thanks hadfield4wd. For future reference for people running the old hubs (not the upgraded hub for the old axles) you need to call dexter for the correct bearings. I called hudson and a week and a half later I have the correct bearings.
I had to call Dexter for the correct numbers for Hudson to reference the right race and bearings. The old hubs have a smaller outer bearing.
The trailer is almost all back together and ready for the weekend abuse haha.
_Robb

Thanks hadfield4wd.

Your welcome.

For future reference for people running the old hubs (not the upgraded hub for the old axles) you need to call dexter for the correct bearings. I called hudson and a week and a half later I have the correct bearings.
I had to call Dexter for the correct numbers for Hudson to reference the right race and bearings. The old hubs have a smaller outer bearing.
The trailer is almost all back together and ready for the weekend abuse haha.
_Robb

Again. My local bearing place had them on the shelf. All you have to do is take the bearings off and take them to them and they can get you the right ones. No need to call dexter.

Back