Mobile Home Axle

russ0943

yehaw x10
Anyone know where I can pick up some mobile home axle tires in good shape in the Charlotte/Lincolnton area?

I need some replacements for my trailer.

I need 4. I just picked up an 18ft triple axle homebuilt trailer and now I'm find out all the in/outs about the mobile home axles. For starters, four of the tires have some cracks in them. Also only one axle has brakes which aren't hooked up and look pretty bad. On top of that the thing is just a beast...1/4" steel decking front to back...

I'm not regretting buying it but just want to get it to where I feel comfortable with the Jeep on it.

Also, I picked it up in SC so I'm having to go through all the loops here to get a tag on it. Anyone know if these axles are DOT legal in NC? How about the tires since they say 'mobile home use only' on them?

I'm thinking the tires can be replaced with some that are DOT approved and if nothing else, will last longer.
To be honest, as far as getting it tagged in NC you have to go to the Highway Patrol office. See the inspector, he will give you a sheet of paper to fill out and it will have a number on it. Stamp that number on your axle and on the tongue. Go back to the Highway patrol office and have it inspected. As far as I remember any of the troopers can inspect it. When they sign off on it, take that paper to the DMV tag office, and you can get your tag, a tittle will be issued for the trailer through the mail. It will be a @009 homebuilt.

The axles are legal and contrary to rumors very heavy duty good axles. You will have to get tires that do not say for "mobile home use only" The newer tires don't say that on the side.

try Redneck Trailer Sales in Lincolnton.

I've got a mobile home axle underneath my 5x8 utility trailer. It is definitely a beast of an axle, and has been very durable for the past 20 years. IIRC they use an odd ball size rim. Something stupid like 14.5", but I am not sure about that. I was on my way to Brown Mountain to ride dirt bikes about 3 years ago and got a flat on my trailer. I limped it to the next exit, and found a service station that actually had some of the tires in stock. I had them replace both tires, and was on my way. Still got to ride that day.:wheel::Rockon: I think they were about $50-60 each.

The MH axles are great. Most of the reasons people don't like them is because of the odd-ball bearings, hubs, wheels, tires, etc. But, if you have a source for them, they are just fine for a utility or car trailer that sees intermitent use.

Yes, do get new tires that are DOT approved.

To get a tag and title for a trailer in NC, you will need to go to the tag office and tell them you have a home-built trailer and need to title it and register it. They'll ask a few questions about it (size, capacity, etc.). Don't tell them it came from SC as that will be more of a PITA for you. Tell them you got a used home-built trailer from a friend. They will give you a VIN and you have to stamp that on the tongue and at least 1 of the axles. Once this is done, take it to the tag office for them to inspect and then they will issue you a title and registration.

Agri Supply sells the tires and new bearings for these axles. They also sell brake parts. The only thing I havnt found is the hubs, but Agri has normal trailer hubs if you want to upgrade to normal rims and tires.

Duane

red neck trailer supply is all u need.
i modded mine with bolt on backing plate brakes for easy swaps.

I have had no problems with my axles. I bought my tires for 40 a piece.

From where?

Also, even at $40ea, I'm lookin at $240 total for tires, another $100 at least for brakes. Kinda aggravating.

Anyone wanna buy it off me? $1200 is what I've got in it. :0

Agri Supply sells the tires and new bearings for these axles. They also sell brake parts. The only thing I havnt found is the hubs, but Agri has normal trailer hubs if you want to upgrade to normal rims and tires.
Duane
In SC they have outlawed trailers with MH axles is what I was told by law enforcement. I'd like to convert mine to the regular tires brakes. Where can I find some info on that swap?

In SC they have outlawed trailers with MH axles is what I was told by law enforcement. I'd like to convert mine to the regular tires brakes. Where can I find some info on that swap?

Search Pirate for Billivistas articles and threads about his trailer. Tons of info.

Duane

Not totally true, but kinda.
MH "style" axles (such as those found on many Hudson Bros. et. al.) are perfectly fine.

Actual MH discards are not.

How they determine source of origin, and prove it, is beyond me.

In a state where you can drive any POS without an inspection, this strikes me as odd

Not totally true, but kinda.
MH "style" axles (such as those found on many Hudson Bros. et. al.) are perfectly fine.
Actual MH discards are not.
How they determine source of origin, and prove it, is beyond me.

Which is really odd, since most axles are reused by the movers. We bought our axles from a mover for I think 50 dollars a piece.

Duane

I know theres gotta be someone around here that has a pile of axles with a few good tires. I guess I'm gonna have to start calling around to places that sell mobile homes to see if I can find a source for some of this stuff. From the sounds of it I would be better off($) getting three different axles which are newer (and have the non-labeled tires) and some working brakes.

Make it easier for your self and get rid of the third axle and make it a tandem. Then you will only need to find two. You said you were hauling a jeep, no need for a tri-axle imo.

I know theres gotta be someone around here that has a pile of axles with a few good tires. I guess I'm gonna have to start calling around to places that sell mobile homes to see if I can find a source for some of this stuff. From the sounds of it I would be better off($) getting three different axles which are newer (and have the non-labeled tires) and some working brakes.

Movers want 50 per tire, and they dont come with the axle. I agree with the remove the third axle option.

Duane

Which is really odd, since most axles are reused by the movers. We bought our axles from a mover for I think 50 dollars a piece.
Duane
True.
And it my understanding that under a mobile home they are fine, but under say a sofa they fail miserably.

thats SC for ya

I ran em for years and there are a few places.
Used to be a mh supply store in Chester, SC that when they had them got $100 pair with varied condition tires (and axles, more often than not one axles was dam near unusable.)

The trading post or Iwannas never seem to have a shortage though.

A good friend of mine give me some MH axles a couple of years ago. I have yet to put under my trailer. I am curious though as to what the weight rating is on them?

I would be tickled to be able to change the lug pattern on them and stay with the six lug set up since I already have wheels for them, and tires aren't too hard to find. Anyone done this swap??

Anyone??

Back