Mini Excavators

Croatan_Kid

How's your hammer hangin'?
I'll be getting one in the future, but figured I should start doing some homework on them. I've run a Bobcat 331 and I liked it quite a bit and they can be had for a decent price. It has a Kubota engine too, which I like as I also have a Kubota tractor. It's also worth noting that there is a Bobcat dealer about 3 miles from my house.

This will be for personal use and I likely won't sell it. I know I could probably get a much cheaper one, but when I spend money, I like it to be on things that will last me a long time with a good availability of parts and service.

Weight and size are also a concern. The 331 isn't TOO big and is also big enough to do just about anything I'd need. Weighs something like 7200 lbs and with a long enough trailer, I think I could move it and my tractor at the same time if I needed to. Don't want an enclosed cab with heat and AC either, just more stuff to worry about and keep serviced.

Any suggestions, opinions, or experiences to share?

That's a pretty good sized mini-ex. I wouldn't buy one without aux hydraulics and a push blade and the only other thing I would add is don't get one any smaller...sucks taking twice as long because it is too light to actually dig.

What ever you get make sure it Hs a thumb and a good blade, the newer kubotas are week as piss. I know because we just bought one at work. I’d rather have a bobcat or a deer any day.

I'm not exactly brand loyal, but Bobcat is what first came to mind and I'm pretty set on them. As far as I know, they all have a push blade. I definitely won't get one with auxiliary hydraulics and a thumb...that's the whole point of having one, to pick shit up! :D

I just went through this exact dilemma a few months ago. Ended up with a Takeuchi TB135 mainly because of price, but it was also near the top of my list for size/strength/reliability. I found a Kubota 2.5 ton I liked, but it had the orange upcharge, and 5000lbs just wasn't enough mass . I also looked at a Takeuchi TB145, but at 6.5ft wide and 11k pounds, it was just a little too big for the smaller projects I wanted to do.

I settled on the 3.5 ton class. They are small enough to fit in most places at 5ft wide, but have enough mass and reach to generally get the job done. Price was the main factor driving my decision, but prefence was for Takeuchi or Kubota based on internet research regarding reliability, hydraulic strength, ease of operation, parts availability, etc. A lot of mixed reviews on Bobcat, JCB, Cat, and others.

Another thing to consider is zero tail swing vs standard. While the zero tail swing is nice, they also have a wider outside track width, and longer track frame. Plus the lack of counterweight out back reduces the load capabilities (which is offset slightly by the longer/wider track width). Most of the places I've been using mine, the narrower track width is more useful than the zero tail swing. But eventually I will forget and knock something over with the tractor butt.

Another thing is rubber tracks vs steel tracks vs steel tracks with rubber pads. Steel tracks are the toughest, but not good for paved surfaces. Also, it sounds petty, but they are much noisier when you are traveling along. Also, they are not so good on rocks if there's a lot in your area. Rubber tracks aren't as durable, but they are a little lighter and work good on just about everything. The cleats don't dig in as well as steel, but it's an excavator, not a dozer, so you should limit your dozing anyway for the sake of your drive motors. Steel tracks with rubber pads are a good compromise for strength and hard surface compatibility, but are added weight and the cleats don't dig in as well as normal rubber or steel tracks.

Some Kubota and Komatsu machines have 4 and 6 way blades which is a great feature, but you'll pay for it. I think its the KX121SS with the 6 way. I can't remember which Komatsu, PC40 or 45 maybe. Also, Komatsu makes a good machine.

If size is not a factor, get the biggest thing you can. Thumbs are great, but easy enough to add as long as the machine is already plumbed for auxiliary hydraulics. An enclosed cab is nice, but not worth the $5k upcharge on the used market. I saw a lot of enclosed cab models with heat but no AC when I was looking. At first I thought it was kinda dumb, but sitting on mine this afternoon, in the 35 degree rain, a heated cab would have been nice. Hours are a factor, but the TB145 I looked at had 6000hrs and was in better shape than some of the 3k hour machines I looked at. Don't write one off simply because of high hours if the price is right.

That's all I got for now.

I don't want/need anything over about 7500 lbs. I know about the tail swing, but it's not an issue to me. Everywhere I need to use it is pretty open.

I'll look for the Takeuchis, but I haven't seen any used ones for sale anywhere I've looked yet.

I believe most manufacturers say to have a full undercarriage service and track replacement at 3000 hrs so ask and about that seems like a lot of machines are for sale right at that hr make. I’ll double check tomorrow with our shop man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't read every post but my concrete guy is running all yanmars now. He switched from bobcat and said he'll never own another one. He said the cost of parts alone were worth the switch. And dang if they aren't quiet. You can stand beside one working wide open and have a conversation at regular talking volume.

I didn't read every post but my concrete guy is running all yanmars now. He switched from bobcat and said he'll never own another one. He said the cost of parts alone were worth the switch. And dang if they aren't quiet. You can stand beside one working wide open and have a conversation at regular talking volume.

I guy I know who does landscaping/hardscaping runs Yanmars. Price point is right for him, parts and maintenance make it worth it for him. I ran one for 10 hours on a job for him and it was a smooth running machine.

Don't rule out an old machine. I bought this one with about 4k hours, it runs great, has virtually zero electronics, and is strong. Sad thing is I wish I had gotten a bigger one. This one is about 11,500 lbs but doesn't like rocks, and my land has a lot of rocks haha.

Attachments

• IMG_20180204_231013.jpg
    IMG_20180204_231013.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 294
Only found one Takeuchi for sale...in Tennessee. Haven't found any Yanmars yet.

Don't rule out an old machine. I bought this one with about 4k hours, it runs great, has virtually zero electronics, and is strong. Sad thing is I wish I had gotten a bigger one. This one is about 11,500 lbs but doesn't like rocks, and my land has a lot of rocks haha.

I have zero rocks. :)

Let me know if you decide to sell.

we run 2 John Deeres here at work. A 35 and a 60. The 35 we have had since 2010 and the 60 is 4 years old.The 35 is my go to machine for most service work and have had good service out of both.
11925965_10204344771091428_741598930_n.jpg

My best recommendation is to set up a Craigslist search alert. I called about the one I bought with 1.5hrs of it being posted, and the guy said i was like the 5th person to call (but first person semi-local who was ready to buy). When I went the next morning to get it, he said he had probably had 40-50 calls on it in the 16hrs it had been posted. Point being good deals don't last, so you gotta be ready to act.

What's your max price?

I'd like to stay under 20k. It'll be a while, but I like to be informed and well read before I buy expensive stuff.

I may even see if my cousin wants to sell his. You never know until you ask.

I'd like to stay under 20k. It'll be a while, but I like to be informed and well read before I buy expensive stuff.

I may even see if my cousin wants to sell his. You never know until you ask.

How often are you planning to need it? If it just for a few projects here and there, it might be worth trying to "rent" it from your cousin, unless he wants rid of it.

I've used his a few times, but his stays gone almost all the time digging footers or doing plumbing jobs. Not worth the hassle.

Not sure how often I'll actually need it, but I'll use it quite a bit.

If you're ok with open cab and a couple thousand hours, you should have no problem finding something in your price range. I was looking for sub-$15k and ended up finding mine for a good bit less than that.

I've only been looking on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, but I've seen a few Bobcats with a reasonable amount of hours in the 15 to 17k range.

Where are some other good places to look? Any suggestions?

I've only been looking on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, but I've seen a few Bobcats with a reasonable amount of hours in the 15 to 17k range.

Where are some other good places to look? Any suggestions?
Craigslist is hard to beat. Theres a WNC paper called iwanna.com, and machinerytrader.com, but craigslist was the best source for me. I was searching within a 250 mile or so radius. www.searchtempest.com direct results is great for searching, but the CL alerts are crucial for timing on a deal when you're ready to act.

I've used search tempest a lot, but it always gives you a crap load of expired postings to weed out.

Last edited:
I'v used search tempest a lot, but it always gives you a crap load of expired postings to weed out.
Use direct results. I agree, "regular" searchtempest sucks and gives you expired results. But they made some changes in the past year, and now the direct results are grouped by region, so you can check within a couple hundred miles pretty quickly.

Here's what it looks like now:
upload_2018-2-6_14-52-12.png

I'll check them out. They're two hours away though.

Back