Military Vehicles Thread

Well one of my hmmwvs sounds really weak even with good batteries, not sure if the starter is weak or the motor is rusty inside (plus side is I have a turbo drivetrain that runs good sitting here begging to be put in). The other turns over fine but I think it needs a new injector pump, so I guess that will be the first step on getting it going.

Not sure the chassis model but I had a gun truck (deployed with 5thSFG) with the 6.5 turbo / O.D. In a “soft sided” truck and it was a bad motor scooter. We stuffed up armor springs for a small lift and the fact those dudes packed enough ammo to facilitate a small country invasion. We trashed the Good Years for super swamper SX’s those trucks were awesome. THis one wasn’t ours but very similar
1DB1A807-D5C5-47AB-A4CC-C41102A6AD1E.jpeg

Question if you will, I know different mechanics who have bumped the amount of fuel entering the injection pump on the 6.5 just a hair by accessing a small port of the drivers side of the inj. pump body. It doesn't light your hair on fire but you could absolutely tell the change in the seat of your pants. Any idea if a bit more fuel might wake up the 6.2 from its eternal coma? Or without forced induction (turbo) would it be pointless?

Last edited:
Brought another parts truck home today. First time lift towing with the wrecker, after a bit of a learning curve hooking it up it worked great. Not sure I had it hooked correct, but the way I did it was easy, so it is the way I will do it for future use. I will be modifying it a little bit to use grade 9 bolts instead of pins. The pins are shouldered and hard to find.

IMG_20190329_141838894.jpg

I stumbled across a 2.5 ton trailer near me. At least that is what I think it is. M105? The guy would probably sell it. What would be a decent offer to make or expect to pay? Thinking about getting it for a scrap hauler. Bad idea? What kind of weight an they handle?

I stumbled across a 2.5 ton trailer near me. At least that is what I think it is. M105? The guy would probably sell it. What would be a decent offer to make or expect to pay? Thinking about getting it for a scrap hauler. Bad idea? What kind of weight an they handle?

If it is a M105 it would have 20" split rims and air/hydraulic brakes. They are pretty large and heavy for a 1-ton truck, especially without brakes in the trailer if loaded heavy. The M105 will handle about whatever weight you want to put in it, and they are cheap. Basically, for a very nice m105 without top/bows I would only pay $200-400, most people ask more but there is not a M105 on Earth I would pay $400 for. They are too hard to sell.

Is this one of yours Michael?

Attachments

• BA9071C8-EADD-4D77-8ED8-C214B4E3AA63.jpeg
    BA9071C8-EADD-4D77-8ED8-C214B4E3AA63.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 258
If it is a M105 it would have 20" split rims and air/hydraulic brakes. They are pretty large and heavy for a 1-ton truck, especially without brakes in the trailer if loaded heavy. The M105 will handle about whatever weight you want to put in it, and they are cheap. Basically, for a very nice m105 without top/bows I would only pay $200-400, most people ask more but there is not a M105 on Earth I would pay $400 for. They are too hard to sell.
Thanks for the info. So no 105 with a half ton..... Next time I get by there I'll look at it closely. It's a big trailer and has hoops IIRC. I'll try and post some pictures if it's not easily identifiable by me.

Thanks for the info. So no 105 with a half ton..... Next time I get by there I'll look at it closely. It's a big trailer and has hoops IIRC. I'll try and post some pictures if it's not easily identifiable by me.

Definitely not a m105 with a 1/2 ton. A m101 would be fine if it turns out that is what it is. The bed of a m105 would tower over the bed of a pickup truck.

I have a m116a3 I need to sell, will be putting Wrangler MT's on it, but I could also put civilian trailer tires/wheels on it. $1000 for it.

IMG_20190826_163111300.jpg

I'm not sure why I need this, but I'm sure I need it!

Once you have a crane, you will never know how you lived without one. My ideal (military) truck would have 400+ hp, 8' of bed space, a front and rear winch, a crane with minimum 5k lb capacity (extended) and a stinger on the back for lift towing. Sadly that truck doesn't exist.

I would love to combine a FMTV wrecker like I have with the 425hp engine in the MTVR. It would likely be easier to swap the engine/trans into the FMTV than it would be to swap the wrecker bits onto the MTVR.

When I sold it (2015) and now. Many hours and lots of money later I am sure! It is now in Amman, Jordan at the Royal Tank Museum.

Attachments

• IMG_20191218_162212546.jpg
    IMG_20191218_162212546.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 305
  • 2015-05-17.jpg
    2015-05-17.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 317
Well I got one running and driving, the other one just clicks whenever I turn the switch so I need to get a second set of hands down there help me figure out what is clicking. I am assuming the starter solenoid but not sure. it could be the small solenoid that sends power to the starter solenoid.

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_123623949_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200215_123623949_HDR.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 227
First one is home. Great driving truck, turning radius is horrible though. Very comfortable at 55, 60 seemed it was about max, but supposedly they will run 65. I am happy at 55mph as it was only taching about 1600-1700rpm's. 5/7 year old approved!

This one doesn't have an exhaust stack on it currently, the jakes will definitely let people know you are coming! As great as it sounded, i am not sure if I want to put a straight stack on it, or a muffler. I kind of a think I want to keep my hearing.

IMG_20200219_151254690_HDR.jpg

Back