Military humvees

Well the excitement of my alternator finally arriving has diminished. Went to install and the pulley on alt doesn’t line up with others, it sits to far forward. Looks like I’m gonna be fabricating a new bracket, seems easy enough but I am still rather aggravated after spending $600 on a “direct bolt in kit” and waiting over a week and a half, only to need to re-fab the bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_6056.jpeg
    IMG_6056.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 51
Well the excitement of my alternator finally arriving has diminished. Went to install and the pulley on alt doesn’t line up with others, it sits to far forward. Looks like I’m gonna be fabricating a new bracket, seems easy enough but I am still rather aggravated after spending $600 on a “direct bolt in kit” and waiting over a week and a half, only to need to re-fab the bracket.
I assume both belt pullies use belts? I'd be on the phone demanding the right bracket.

I assume both belt pullies use belts? I'd be on the phone demanding the right bracket.
Yeah there’s 4 belts total and the front two operate along with alternator. Hell at this point, with them taking a week just to process my order, and it came from California so naturally took 3-4 days shipping, I feel it would be quicker to just make a new bracket and never purchase from them again. Although I have sent an email on the matter and will likely call as well to see what could possibly be done

Attachments

• IMG_6057.jpeg
    IMG_6057.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6058.jpeg
    IMG_6058.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 64
Did you ever try and replace the regulator? Most of the hmmwv's I worked on, unless a bearing failed, the alt was fine. It was always the external regulator assy that failed.

Did you ever try and replace the regulator? Most of the hmmwv's I worked on, unless a bearing failed, the alt was fine. It was always the external regulator assy that failed.
I did not, I wasn’t sure this was repairable?

Attachments

• IMG_6059.jpeg
    IMG_6059.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 46
I did not, I wasn’t sure this was repairable?
I think it probably is, may need to half way disassemble it to repair that wire, and still source the burned up piece.

But, I totally understand wanting to upgrade from a 60A unit. It is bullshit that the bracket is so far off. if you can get it to fit, it probably is the best way forward.

Most of the trucks tan a 200A dual voltage unit, and I put several 400A kits on como trucks. Needed a cherry picker to set that beast in.

I think it probably is, may need to half way disassemble it to repair that wire, and still source the burned up piece.

But, I totally understand wanting to upgrade from a 60A unit. It is bullshit that the bracket is so far off. if you can get it to fit, it probably is the best way forward.

Most of the trucks tan a 200A dual voltage unit, and I put several 400A kits on como trucks. Needed a cherry picker to set that beast in.
What I decided to do was just run one belt. The 4th grooves lined up with the 1st on the alt so I just ran a belt across those. The other pulleys on engine all have two belts powering them. So I figured this would be ok?

What I decided to do was just run one belt. The 4th grooves lined up with the 1st on the alt so I just ran a belt across those. The other pulleys on engine all have two belts powering them. So I figured this would be ok?
More than likely for a limited draw system 1 belt should be okay. All of them ran multiple belts for redundancy, and the bigger amp set ups ran multiple belts due to the resistance on the system so that it wouldn’t squall when Generator drew power.

Little update, alt seems to be fixed. Windshield wipers work, head lights still don’t. My smart start box which controls glow plugs I believe, constantly clicks at about 30 second intervals. So I believe that will need attention. Other than that, it’s back on the road. Took to my daughters field trip near the house at a corn maze, soon as I parked I had three officers walk up asking me questions about and tell me about the ones they had for the dept.

On a side note, the attention this thing is getting is gonna be great for my business, which was the objective anyways……and here’s the shameless plug lol

Attachments

• IMG_6064.jpeg
    IMG_6064.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 56
I do have a question though, I’d like to wire in a battery shut off switch, where exactly would I tie that in? This is a pic of the batteries wired in series for the 24v system. I’d like the shut off switch to be on driver side so I can disconnect on that side instead of lifting passenger seat to do so if possible

Attachments

• IMG_6060.jpeg
    IMG_6060.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 49
Back