Miles on a Diesel?

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
How many miles are too many if looking to buy a used diesel truck for a daily driver and tow rig? What things fail?

Depends on which truck you are looking at, I think each of the big three have their own problems. For instance, powerstrokes have common problems w/ cam sensors, unit hubs, and auto trannies.

I've got 248,xxx and counting, which on a Dodge CTD means - the engine runs great, it takes 2 hands to count which auto tranny you're on, and the suspension pops and bangs.. I love my truck...

I've got 204,000 on an 01 dodge cummins. Im on my second injection pump, and 3rd lift pump but other than that the problems have been very few. I had a 99 before this with 175,000 and the interior was really showing the signs of the mileage. This truck on the other hand has held up great, it could pass for having 50,000 miles.

I have 327K on my 96 Dodge. CTD purrs like a kitten, auto is probaly on its way out but I love it. 20+ miles to the gallon in a 7,000# cummutor truck on 35" tire that can lay a smoke cloud at will. Now that the life.:driver:

I have a 96 F-350 Powerstroke 2wd 4dr with 305K on it,has had a cam sensor,and clutch but thats it.Routinely put 500 to 1000 miles a week on it.

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram with 292k on it, I purchased it from the origional owner with 277kmiles on it. Its on its second transmission, first one went at 215k.

-Tim

Looks like I've got ALOT of life left in my 2006 F-250 Powerstroke! It now has just over 600 miles. I bought it from FORD with 176 miles on it! :rolleyes:

What kinds of things should I be sure to do / watch out for being a first time diesel owner?

Thanks Guys!:driver:

Rick

I have heard that the new power strokes have had a lot of trouble with rear main seals,and when they go bad you have to replace the block. Just what i've heard can't varify.Run good oil(Shell rotella,Mobil,lucas)and filter's.

I bought my CTD with 150,xxx miles, which was 2.5times higher than the 15k/yr average. Its a Dodge, so the truck will fall apart before the engine (knock on wood that my IP holds up; PO said he chnaged nothing but tires, brakes, etc). The convex side-view mirror has fallen off and one of the map light-switches is broken. Truck pulls fine though :driver:

29,xxx on my '04 SuperDuty and I'm loving it. Bought it new, with 3 miles on it. I've been running it pretty hard, I guess. Running Shell Rotella, and changing the fuel filter every 15k...

farmboy said:
29,xxx on my '04 SuperDuty and I'm loving it. Bought it new, with 3 miles on it. I've been running it pretty hard, I guess. Running Shell Rotella, and changing the fuel filter every 15k...

How many quarts of oil...16 is it? How often are you changing it? Every 5k?

CJ4PLAY said:

No, I'd say you were using it for what you bought it for. I traded an '04 Tundra for my PSD!...The Tundra had 49,000 at the time of trade....That kinda hurt!:(

they say 16 quarts of oil but if i put 16 in it would be over full, i can get in about 14 1/2 after an oil change anyone else notice this. I change fuel filter every other oil change which is 6k.

Cperry said:
they say 16 quarts of oil but if i put 16 in it would be over full, i can get in about 14 1/2 after an oil change anyone else notice this. I change fuel filter every other oil change which is 6k.
Wow, those fuel filters are high. I had the dealership do my first one with an oil change and they charged me liek $75 for the thing.
I have 35k on my 03 Ford and haven't had the first problem. I use rotella and change it every 5k or so and changed the fuel filter at 20k and it still looked new.

bjack said:
Wow, those fuel filters are high. I had the dealership do my first one with an oil change and they charged me liek $75 for the thing.
I have 35k on my 03 Ford and haven't had the first problem. I use rotella and change it every 5k or so and changed the fuel filter at 20k and it still looked new.

Sorry to HI-JACK the thread! But I do appreciate the info!

Rick

Purchased my PSD new in 02. Not one issue in 55,000 miles. Also Rotella @5000 mi. LUV my truck :driver: I plan on keeping mine til my kids are out of college, somewhere around 2016 .

Steve

99.5 f250 7.3 turbo diesel with 96,500 miles on it. other than the tranny all the "repairs" were elective upgrades. hmmm... thats what caused the tranny to fail in the first place.

I have beat this thing hard for the last 35k miles with the majority of them towing my junk. I keep a couple spare parts in the glove just so nothing fails.(see murphy's law)

I have a '95 CTD with 198,000 miles and still running strong, and still on the first tranny cause it's a 5 speed :flipoff2:. It also has a tweaked injector pump, 4 inch straight pipe, and the PO had propane injection on it. It still runs top notch. I love watching people get pissed when i smoke them out :D , and i cant wait to get 6 inch stacks.

01' Cummins 4wd, 110k on her. Runs better than she did brand new. Had to rebuild the vavle body at 65k w/ an ATS street killer. Also modified the injection pump w/ a new plate and installed a FASS fuel system. She's got a few other tweaks to her, but runs sweet, and will pull anything I hook up to.

Dodge makes it, Cummins shakes it.

Bennett

Our work trucks are PSD and Chevy diesels. By far, we've had the best luck with the PSD. All, if not most of our trucks are running over 260K on them right now. Most are on their second auto tranny, replaced in the low 200K mileage. Thats with a 97 F350, crew cab dually work truck (work bed) that weighs in at 15Klbs normally loaded on a daily basis. The trucks get worked very hard and hold up. Oil and filter changed at every 6500 miles. No other problems other than an injector or sensor or something like that.

Now for the 99 Chevy diesel, its pure crap!!! I think it has 213K miles and its been through 3 transmissions and injector pump and is always in the shop. Biggest wast of $$$!! The concrete crew has that truck because they carry much less weight/tools because the truck is very slow!! Poor power. Crap!

We also got an 03 F550 PSD crew cab work truck and its performed flawlessly since it was new. I think it has over 135K on it now and keeps on going...

We just got 2 new 2006 F450 PSD crew cab work trucks and they have incredible power! Nice vehicle. we'll see how these turn out with maintenance.

CJ4PLAY said:

Yep, changing it with Rotella T and a Motorcraft filter. :driver:

Mac

Back